• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England and Wales ponder Cup bid

Ieland and Scotland would be a recipe for empty stadiums. As a Joint Celtic bid it could be managed where Ireland host their home games, Scotland theirs and Wales theirs but as a country on their own, not a chance. That of course applies to Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Were going to experience something like this in New Zealand so the IRB will need to go with the banker tournament in England or SA, then look at Japan in for the next one. [/b]

I think the only way it would be a recipe for empty stadium is if they overprice them again, like the WRU did for a few of the 2007 games in Cardiff. It was £16 for a seat right at the top for Wales v Japan, but there were a lot of empty middle tier seats, because the WRU massivly overpriced them (something like £100+ for the best seats) which is ridiculous. By the time all the Welsh Regional Stadiums are finished (The Liberty is long finished, the new Cardiff Stadium and Parc y Scarlets should be finished by the end of next season, so 2010. No idea if they've even started the new Newport one yet) Wales would be more than capable of hosting a RWC on their own. If they do a reasonable ticket pricing, like they did for the u20's RWC, then they'd have full stadiums, massive amount interest (which is something fans have commented on last time a RWC was in Cardiff) and would profit from it. So give it a while, then Wales should be able to host on on it's own.
Can't say much for Ireland and Scotland, because I;ve got no idea what type of stadiums they;ve got available to them, or even how much interest it'll create. Not 100% sure I agree with the bad predictions about New Zealand 2011, the interest is massive because it's New Zealand! They live breathe and eat Rugby, at least that's what everyone makes out! If they do a decent ticket pricing, then you'll definately have full stadiums!

<div class='quotemain'> Ieland and Scotland would be a recipe for empty stadiums. As a Joint Celtic bid it could be managed where Ireland host their home games, Scotland theirs and Wales theirs but as a country on their own, not a chance. That of course applies to Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Were going to experience something like this in New Zealand so the IRB will need to go with the banker tournament in England or SA, then look at Japan in for the next one. [/b]

I think the only way it would be a recipe for empty stadium is if they overprice them again, like the WRU did for a few of the 2007 games in Cardiff. It was £16 for a seat right at the top for Wales v Japan, but there were a lot of empty middle tier seats, because the WRU massivly overpriced them (something like £100+ for the best seats) which is ridiculous. By the time all the Welsh Regional Stadiums are finished (The Liberty is long finished, the new Cardiff Stadium and Parc y Scarlets should be finished by the end of next season, so 2010. No idea if they've even started the new Newport one yet) Wales would be more than capable of hosting a RWC on their own. If they do a reasonable ticket pricing, like they did for the u20's RWC, then they'd have full stadiums, massive amount interest (which is something fans have commented on last time a RWC was in Cardiff) and would profit from it. So give it a while, then Wales should be able to host on on it's own.
Can't say much for Ireland and Scotland, because I;ve got no idea what type of stadiums they;ve got available to them, or even how much interest it'll create. Not 100% sure I agree with the bad predictions about New Zealand 2011, the interest is massive because it's New Zealand! They live breathe and eat Rugby, at least that's what everyone makes out! If they do a decent ticket pricing, then you'll definately have full stadiums!
[/b][/quote]

You are wrong regarding the WRU im sorry! The WRU had NOTHING to do with the prices of seats at the games! It was all controlled by the IRB and the FRU. The FRU had decided that the majority of their tickets would be given to coporate companies who would then divide them, however to cover the costs the FRU decided to recoup any money loss by charging us the normal fans something stupid! For the QF game at the MS I managed to haggle a seller on the streer for a £300 for £60 it was plain stupid to be honest and the WRU had nothing to do with it.
I can also say thay the WRU had nothing to do with it because as a debencher at the MS we were not offered tickets to any of the games at the stadium! If we had then the WRU would be offering that to us but unfortunatly it was the IRB and RFU who dealt with that aspect!

Latest posts