England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Tigs Man, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Ddanno

Ddanno Bench Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

I would bin Youngs for being useless and Chavlet on general principle. The sooner we appoint another captain - literally anyone else at this point - the better.
    I think Williams can do a better job as our starting TH over Cole and Sinkler is a better bench option; makes a much greater impression when he knows he has 20 mins to empty the tank.
    If Manu is fit (ha!) And in form (!!) I'd play him at 12 because half of the restof the team has already played out of position anyway, and Joseph is too valuable defensively at 13
    I think Itoje could do with some motivation to stop being a penalty machine, so Lawes ahead of him.

*All of the above assumes decent form as they're largely going to be returning from injury

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. NickBD

NickBD Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bradford

Not sure I’d drop Mako from 23. He’s still top class from the bench. Marler to start.

I’d be interested to know if Jones will bring back Hartley. If he can come back from his concussions. Not sure any of LCD or George nailed down a spot and we know EJ loves Hartley. Also Farrell didn’t inspire confidence as captain. Not as a player but it’s clear Eng miss Hartley as captain.

From the tour I think Curry and May are the stand outs.

4. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Reckon the main team will be
    1. Marler
    2. Hartley
    3. Cole
    4. Launchbury
    5. Itoje
    6. Robshaw
    7. Curry
    8. Vunipola
    9. Youngs
    10. Farrell
    11. May
    12. Te'o/Manu
    13. JJ
    14. Watson
    15. Daly

16. George
    17. Mako
    18. Sinckler
    19. Lawes
    20. Sheilds
    21. Care
    22. Cips
    23. Nowell

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

Not far off

6. Xsypher

Xsypher Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Saracens

I would say this, but with a few changes:

10. Cips
    12. Farrell
    22. Manu/Te'o
    23. Brown (I would prefer Nowell but don't think Brown will be dropped from the 23 unless he plays horribly in the AIs)

I'm not sure about Robshaw at 6, especially with no front row carrying threat. Would prefer Shields at 6 and Underhill/Simmonds on the bench. In wet conditions I'm fine keeping Robshaw as a workhorse but on a firm track we need more dynamism.

I love the potential impact of the bench - imagine bringing on Mako, Sinckler, Simmonds, Care, Manu and Nowell with 20 mins left...

7. RedruthRFC

RedruthRFC First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

Is it official that England have reverted to having a bench / substitutes? I notice that the graphics that the RFU release with the team on them no longer mention "finishers".

8. noah_jo

noah_jo First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

Weirdly last week the graphic reverted to "finishers" on the website

9. RedruthRFC

RedruthRFC First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

I was going to say that maybe someone pointed out that it was pretty daft when on a losing streak, but to be fair, during the losing streak, they were still finishing the job that the starting XV had begun! Maybe I'm being petty, but this is another example of the lack of consistency in thought and deed from Jones that winds me up.

10. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

To be fair for large chunks of Jones' time they have not been finishers, they've been rescuers saving the team in the dying moments from the underperforming starters.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

On the subject of subs / finishers / bench warmers / non-starters, Jones only used 3 on Sat and one of those was for a pretty notional 2 minutes.

Not sure if that's a change of policy / Jones reading the game / didn't have confidence in the bench but, whatever, wish that would takeover as the norm from emptying the bench. Sometimes subs really add and a lot was made of the bench impact in our winning run, but all too often teams just lose their shape and it becomes a case of which ends up as the less incoherent mess.

Trust your eyes, coaches! Fresh legs don't always outweigh being in the rhythm of the game.

12. RedruthRFC

RedruthRFC First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

My impression is that in international rugby, subs have moved from the realm of coaching to that of sports science and are made based on performance metrics more so than what can be identified visually. IIRC at the start of his tenure Jones talked about using the time it took players to get back to their feet after contact as a metric of when they need to be substituted. Being the sort of bloke he is, no doubt he would tell you this the decline in subs is a result of his awesome fitness regime meaning that players are now up to playing for 80 minutes!

I can see the argument for the sports science approach - if you wait until your eyes tell you that a player needs to be subbed off, it might be a crucial mistake that makes this clear, where as identifying the decline in performance earlier and making a proactive substitution makes this scenario less likely.

Regarding the way teams lose shape and cohesion when subs are made, I don't think you'll get away from this. I don't perceive subs having this effect in a tight game when they're coming on to hang on for grim death / spark the winning score. In games in which the result is already determined, coaches are always going to take the opportunity to give rest to key players who need it and give game time to others.

13. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Also to throw a name out there, Attwood is now back in England. I know lock is not a position of concern for us but anyone think he might get a look in? Apparently he impressed at Toulon.

14. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

He should do, But I can't see it

15. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

16. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

17. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Aye, depth at back three is good.
    They're all pretty injury prone, bar Brown, but I can't see anyone new being looked at unless they really REALLY stood out for their club.
    Also I presume Ashton is on EJs shitlist over the Saxons snub, and he wasn't in his plans before the move to France (hence the move to France).

18. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Also Ashton is a finisher and we don't struggle with finishing on the wings, we struggle with creating and Ashton will not do that

19. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Your right we dont struggle with finishing and im not saying ashton should walk straight back to the england squad but ashton will create chances, his running and support lines could work well woth ford faz, not his biggest fan but think he has a chance but he has to prove himself in defence and outshine solomona at sale first.

20. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

21. Nudger

Nudger Academy Player

And yarde

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!