• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

I'd hope so but he also hasn't been capped by them. I hope he's quality but it is a concern when someone who not only has never been capped by South Africa, NZ and Oz moves to another to play international rugby.

Only seen in a few games but not enough to judge, don't know if anyone round here has a better opinion on him having seen more of him.

Shields is a very good Super Rugby player, and has the potential to be a good test player too. In my opinion he's been the 3rd/4th best blindside flanker in the country for the last 4-5 years. If he had stuck around in NZ may have even managed to sneak a few All Blacks caps...

It's hard to know how he will fit into the English side; personally I can't see him as a long term starter, but it will depend what they want in the 6 Jersey. I feel his biggest strength is probably his work cleaning out at the breakdown. He's pretty quick to the ball and hits the breakdown hard - this ensures his team usually has quick and clean. This is an aspect of his play that probably isn't appreciated by the average rugby punter, but it's a real strength of his.

He's probably just above average as a ball carrier, and can be effective in open play. Ball handling used to be a big weakness, but he seems to be have improved this in recent years. He's good a good work-rate on defense, but his accuracy on defense has always been a bit of an issue (and is possibly the reason the AB's selectors haven't given him a shot yet). He's perhaps a little slow laterally, which means he is often unable to get a full shoulder on the attacking player, which can result in him slipping off the tackle. He's capable at 8 (but much better at 6 in my opinion), and he's a good lineout option too.

Based on the noises coming out of the NZRFU and the Hurricanes I expect he will be granted a release to play for England (assuming they want him!), so it will be very interesting to see how he goes. I hear England may be keen on Jason Woodward too...

Shields is a very good Super Rugby player, and has the potential to be a good test player too. In my opinion he's been the 3rd/4th best blindside flanker in the country for the last 4-5 years. If he had stuck around in NZ may have even managed to sneak a few All Blacks caps...

It's hard to know how he will fit into the English side; personally I can't see him as a long term starter, but it will depend what they want in the 6 Jersey. I feel his biggest strength is probably his work cleaning out at the breakdown. He's pretty quick to the ball and hits the breakdown hard - this ensures his team usually has quick and clean. This is an aspect of his play that probably isn't appreciated by the average rugby punter, but it's a real strength of his.

He's probably just above average as a ball carrier, and can be effective in open play. Ball handling used to be a big weakness, but he seems to be have improved this in recent years. He's good a good work-rate on defense, but his accuracy on defense has always been a bit of an issue (and is possibly the reason the AB's selectors haven't given him a shot yet). He's perhaps a little slow laterally, which means he is often unable to get a full shoulder on the attacking player, which can result in him slipping off the tackle. He's capable at 8 (but much better at 6 in my opinion), and he's a good lineout option too.

Based on the noises coming out of the NZRFU and the Hurricanes I expect he will be granted a release to play for England (assuming they want him!), so it will be very interesting to see how he goes. I hear England may be keen on Jason Woodward too...

Sold, England are so far behind other T1 nations in that aspect of their game it is painful.

As soon as I read
"his biggest strength is probably his work cleaning out at the breakdown"
that's me sold

Arguably our weakest area in the 6 nations

I'm delighted for England to gain such a strong calibre of player but devastated slightly for Wasps... with Hughes already with England, Jones knackered from England, Haskell leaving, J Willis in the England Frame, Rieder injured and Thompson off we will have no back row left bare T Young !

:eek:

I'm not calling for it, nor am I saying it's probably going to happen.

I'm simply saying I wouldn't be surprised if he did retire.

Blimey!

If it's world class facilities they want then we share ours with Man City, fill size indoor pitch, gym, physio, cryo etc

Blimey!

If it's world class facilities they want then we share ours with Man City, fill size indoor pitch, gym, physio, cryo etc

Landed on your feet with that to be fair.

To be honest I don't understand why there isn't more of a training link between Leicester City and Tigers, both want new facilities.

About time it came to light to be honest. National press have been slow on this one.

Do you not think its strange though that despite these 'complaints' both Daly and Launchbury signed new long term contracts this years as well as Robson?
Its well documented the delay on the facilities being built but this seems fishy that they are unhappy but yet signed new contracts...

Plus .. its the Mail...

Do you not think its strange though that despite these 'complaints' both Daly and Launchbury signed new long term contracts this years as well as Robson?
Its well documented the delay on the facilities being built but this seems fishy that they are unhappy but yet signed new contracts...

Plus .. its the Mail...

I agree that's weird. Im just a little surprised its taken them this long to go in hard to be honest with everything that's come out over the past couple years.

I agree that's weird. Im just a little surprised its taken them this long to go in hard to be honest with everything that's come out over the past couple years.

100% correct on that front.. I follow a lot of the players on instagram and the guys (especially Haskell) are always joking and kidding about the quality of the facilities and it is an issue that they need to address but seem fairly happy and unbothered on social media...

Also the article is based on a lot of hearsay ... no evident fact by the looks of it...

Goode was pretty quick to dismiss and hopefully club and players will be too..

Of course Andy Goode is going to dismiss negative publicity, he's a paid ambassador!

Haha yeah that's true... apparently Wasps have replied according to our Forum but haven't seen it yet

Yeah nice little statement from Dai. Expect a more detailed one from Derek or similar soon I would've thought. Maybe it will come out with the accounts.

Interestingly Dai's response has made me think there's more in this story than I originally believed. If they hadn't responded at all I would've just marked it down as Daily Hate ******** and moved on. But now they've specifically answered the training ground issue whilst ignoring the claims about the players' image rights payments being withheld for 2 years, which was by far the worst part about the entire article.

Interestingly Dai's response has made me think there's more in this story than I originally believed. If they hadn't responded at all I would've just marked it down as Daily Hate ******** and moved on. But now they've specifically answered the training ground issue whilst ignoring the claims about the players' image rights payments being withheld for 2 years, which was by far the worst part about the entire article.

I agree, but I've said this for months, maybe even years. Something isn't right.

Latest posts