• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Also with our lack of Centres currently... did think Trinder would be in the squad... or maybe Morgan for the BaBas to add experience.

Trinder is actually a bit of a shock to me and Wade :oops::rolleyes:

So breakdown
SA squad
10 Sarries
5 Exeter Chiefs
5 Wasps
4 Leicester Tigers
3 Harlequins
3 Sale Sharks
1 Worcester Warrior
1 Newcastle Falcon
1 Hurricane

No Bath, Gloucester, Irish or Saint.

Academy wise U18's.
7 Sarries (Faz, George, Itoje, Isiewke, Earle, Earl, Spencer,
4 Quins (Sinckler, Marler, Brown, Robshaw, Launchbury)
4 Wasps (Cips, Willis, Daly, Billy)
3 Gloucester (Hill, Robson, May)
3 Exeter (Slade, Cowan-Dickie, Simmonds)
2 Sale (Curry, Redpath)
2 Tigers (Ford, Youngs)
2 Bristol (Genge, Mako)
1 Leeds (Lozowski)
1 Falcon (wilson)
1 Wellington (Shields)
1 West Tigers (Te'o)
1 Melborune Storm (Solomona)
1 N/A (Williams)

Think that is all of them.

Also with our lack of Centres currently... did think Trinder would be in the squad... or maybe Morgan for the BaBas to add experience.

Trinder is actually a bit of a shock to me and Wade :oops::rolleyes:
Wade is really a shock to you?

Not really but Wasps fans like to dream... no never realistically thought he'd be selected.

Trinder disappoints me though, really talented..

Would have thought Itoje would be rested as he looked knackered in the 6N's. Think some Gloucester players can feel a bit hard done by, especially Woodward. Unfortunately it seems Brown has sewn the 15 shirt to his back. Got to say though, 4 Harlequins players is very flattering.

Not saying I disagree...no, wait, I am because I do...but what makes you say that?

Just from what I have seen of him another Robshaw IMO, Good player, good at lots of things just not have that x factor.
Willis IMO looks the better player at 6 and 7, Curry the better 7.

Now between Shields and Armand, Armand could consider himself unlucky but if eddie wants to try shields so be it.

Shields is obviously better than Armand. Should we have waited until he was off the plane from New Zealand before expediting him into the squad? Yes.
However, it's not been at the expense of the key backrow talent performing highly at the moment such as Willis, Curry etc - those guys have also made the squad.
We desperately need to find a good backrow balance, so really I'm happy for us to take whatever measures necessary.

Also, I know it's unfashionable, but I'm hoping one day I'll come to see Johnny may as an international winger - rather than just a fast bloke running in a straight line to escape a bomb that's about to go off.

Last edited:
Don't think we should feel too bad about a 30ish year old project player with next to no international experience missing out for someone with two English parents

They both live back in Berkshire now, too.

It's just occurred to me that the most comparable player we already have to him might be Robshaw, only he's actually quite athletic...

They both live back in Berkshire now, too.

It's just occurred to me that the most comparable player we already have to him might be Robshaw, only he's actually quite athletic...
Robshaw gets a bad rap now but that's as much a product of being part of an incredibly unbalanced backrow as anything he's doing.
Just before/Just as he broke onto the England seen he was the absolute boy - remember everyone crying out for him to make the EPS but Johnno (I think?) wasn't interested.

Much like Mrs PQ, I'd have rather we waited for shields to actually arrive before selecting him but from descriptions from those in the know on here (I don't watch much super rugby these days due to work) he sounds exactly like what we're missing in the backrow.

Much like Mrs PQ, I'd have rather we waited for shields to actually arrive before selecting him but from descriptions from those in the know on here (I don't watch much super rugby these days due to work) he sounds exactly like what we're missing in the backrow.

Ehh, yes and no... he's certainly well rounded. If it's physicality you're wanting to add, he's not going to bring what Ewers would have, that's for sure.
As I say, imagine if Robshaw was a few inches taller, and quite a bit stronger and faster...

Ehh, yes and no... he's certainly well rounded. If it's physicality you're wanting to add, he's not going to bring what Ewers would have, that's for sure.
As I say, imagine if Robshaw was a few inches taller, and quite a bit stronger and faster...
Smashes the **** out of every ruck is what I read/what we're missing.

England U20s

15. Tom Parton (London Irish)

14. Tom Seabrook (Gloucester Rugby)

13. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors)

12. Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints)

11. Ben Loader (London Irish)

10. James Grayson (Northampton Saints)

9. Ben White capt (Leicester Tigers)

1. Alex Seville (Gloucester Rugby)

2. Gabriel Oghre (Wasps)

3. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers)

4. Joel Kpoku (Saracens)

5. James Scott (Worcester Warriors)

6. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors)

7. Aaron Hinkley (Gloucester Rugby)

8. Tom Willis (Wasps)

Replacements

16. Henry Walker (Gloucester Rugby)

17. Toby Trinder (Northampton Saints)

18. Ehren Painter (Northampton Saints)

19. Sam Lewis (Leicester Tigers)

20. Josh Basham (London Irish)

21. Rory Brand (London Irish)

22. Sam Morley (Exeter Chiefs)

23. Luke James (Sale Sharks)

Decent team.
Not sure about a few of them still but good team.

Imagine the main starting team will be different.

Of freesports tomorrow night.

Latest posts