• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England future management?

Kinda wanted

Deans
King
Edwards (if poss)
Borthwick (as a part time lineout coach like Ryan did in Scotland a couple times)
Rowntree/whoever

I don't know might be in minority but I liked the idea of having Deans thought he might be good to help develop some of the English coaches at some point aka Baxter etc.

Whoever gets appointed will be a disappointment to many and probably by the next RWC a disappointment to all!!

I still feel that any new coach has the odds stacked against him but would have to say that I would not be that inspired by the appointment of Jones never mind Borthwick!!!

Really do they have a track record of recent international success other than the totally outstanding performance by 23 Japanese against an underperforming and over confident South Africa?

How many coaches really do have a recent history of international success?
Other than All Blacks coaches?
Hansen ain't gonna leave NZ, and I get the impression that Henry isn't particularly interested in being the head honcho anywhere at this stage in his career, certainly not for a tier 1 side after leading the ABs.

With all the star power available to the All Blacks, it's probably harder to fail to win things with them. Not that Graham or Henry are bad, but I wonder how they would have done as coaches for other teams. I certainly don't think it would be guaranteed success.

There's not a coach on the planet that ticks all boxes. Cheika and Schmidt come the closest for me, but neither of them have been with their teams for long enough to prove that they can sustain their success.

We should give up on looking for the perfect guy to take over. Pick the most important qualities in a coach and narrow your search to them, make up for the rest in picking the right assistants.

With all the star power available to the All Blacks, it's probably harder to fail to win things with them. Not that Graham or Henry are bad, but I wonder how they would have done as coaches for other teams. I certainly don't think it would be guaranteed success.

There's not a coach on the planet that ticks all boxes. Cheika and Schmidt come the closest for me, but neither of them have been with their teams for long enough to prove that they can sustain their success.

We should give up on looking for the perfect guy to take over. Pick the most important qualities in a coach and narrow your search to them, make up for the rest in picking the right assistants.

Well look how well Henry did with Wales and the Lions.

I don't know whether you are saying he was good or bad...

It was before my time, only got into rugby in 2008. :p

So...?

Head Coach: Jones

High Performance Director (or whatever the new post is going to be called): Lewsey?

Well look how well Henry did with Wales and the Lions.

Better than SCW - yet no one says he couldn't build a team..:rolleyes:.

In terms of wins for Wales - Graham Henry actually had the highest win percentage for Wales at the time since Clive Rowlands (1968-1974). Not bad for an abject failure. (for the record, yes it's even a 10% better win record than Gatland) ;).

So not quite so awful - especially considering what he had to work with.

Last edited:
Aye.

Crazy to think we could have a coaching staff of

Jones
Borthwick
Farrell

Just missing Venter.

I would be stunned if a new coach with freedom to select their own backroom staff would want to keep Farrell around.

- - - Updated - - -

Better than SCW - yet no one says he couldn't build a team..:rolleyes:.

In terms of wins for Wales - Graham Henry actually had the highest win percentage for Wales at the time since Clive Rowlands (1968-1974). Not bad for an abject failure. (for the record, yes it's even a 10% better win record than Gatland) ;).

So not quite so awful - especially considering what he had to work with.

Henry didn't coach Wales when they were playing SANZAR loads every year. He had his moments with a good run immediately after taking over between 1998-99, but it fell away badly after that amidst a generally tumultuous time behind the scenes in Welsh rugby.

I would be stunned if a new coach with freedom to select their own backroom staff would want to keep Farrell around.

- - - Updated - - -

Henry didn't coach Wales when they were playing SANZAR loads every year. He had his moments with a good run immediately after taking over between 1998-99, but it fell away badly after that amidst a generally tumultuous time behind the scenes in Welsh rugby.

Agreed in regards to Farrell.

On the second pount, I was comparing his record to coaches before him as well (most successful coach since the mid 70s). Point being I think if his success is going to be compared over his tenure - it's difficult to argue he wasn't relatively successful - particularly with the state of the game in Wales.

I was making a point that people reference his tenure with Wales as if it was short-hand for "he's not that good" - when in reality it was pretty successful, which is why he was put in charge of the Lions and later made ABs coach.

Last edited:
Agreed in regards to Farrell.

On the second pount, I was comparing his record to coaches before him as well (most successful coach since the mid 70s). Point being I think if his success is going to be compared over his tenure - it's difficult to argue he wasn't relatively successful - particularly with the state of the game in Wales.

I was making a point that people reference his tenure with Wales as if it was short-hand for "he's not that good" - when in reality it was pretty successful, which is why he was put in charge of the Lions and later made ABs coach.

All the best, most talented players from around 1989-1997 were all being poached by League at the time though. So really it would have been disappointing if the side wasn't a bit more successful with many of those players returning and no longer any threat of best players being taken. It's hard to judge Henry as his time was split completely in two halves of 1998/99 (good) and 2000/01 (abysmal), but the latter comes with the context of internal problems at WRU and the Lions tour disrupting the side. Hansen had to rebuild but left the side in a better state that Henry did despite a worse win/loss record.

Reports from Rugby365 say that a source within Western Province has stated that Eddie Jones flew to London on Wednesday already. The WP rugby union has now gone into no comment mode instead of denying. I think it's safe to say now that Jones is the new England coach.

Reports from Rugby365 say that a source within Western Province has stated that Eddie Jones flew to London on Wednesday already. The WP rugby union has now gone into no comment mode instead of denying. I think it's safe to say now that Jones is the new England coach.

Yip. All over twitter. Wonder who will be the new coach now ?

Yip. All over twitter. Wonder who will be the new coach now ?

At this stage in the game I feel like it's way too late to get anyone decent to the Stormers although it does seem we will have a bit more money to burn. Guess we are getting Currie Cup follow on of Dobson...

Personally I'm happy with Jones. More than anything I like the fact that he does not have a great depth of knowledge around English rugby.

Strange I know, but it means he will be going to watch games with an open mind and not with a predisposition to certain players.

He desperately needs a conduit between him, PRL and RFU.

Only one Nate for me... Enter Sir Clive. I'm sure he would be interested.

As for those underneath him, I'd hope he would look to develop some English coaches in the long term. How he gets them involved I don't know.

I don't think our clubs should play any rugby during the 6N window. That would allow coaches such as Baxter, King, Ford to be involved for instance.

I'm not necessarily saying those names just using them to make the point.

At this stage in the game I feel like it's way too late to get anyone decent to the Stormers although it does seem we will have a bit more money to burn. Guess we are getting Currie Cup follow on of Dobson...

Part Ex... You can have Lancaster and his team of merry men!

Looks like Jones is going to be new coach of England. Reports are saying the RFU have agreed 100K buy out with the stormers.

I'm going to try very hard to not be bitter with England as a rugby union for the next four years.

And fail miserably. Would have been great to have a decent coach for once...

edit: His buyout clause should be more than 100k, I heard it was R15mil, which is closer to 700k? Still easy money for England I would assume.