• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England future management?

Worried? I would absolutely love it RFU were moronic enough to bring back Woodward for some nostalgia. Would be hilarious seeing him spout his drivel when he's messing up someone else rather than a Lions tour. Part of me wanted him to get the France job just for the comedy value.

For what it's worth, Rennie (or Cotter) would have been the best option from abroad in my opinion, Baxter could have done a decent job from the domestic options.

I don't think he will get it so we will never get a chance to prove who should be right

A bit deflated and disappointed with the Jones appointment. Felt England needed a coach with a hard edge who would inspire the team physically. I feel like Jones is primarily a backs coach who will struggle to select forward packs and/or struggle to get the best out of a pack weakened by injury. He is a good coach with a strong record, but I just don't see him as a good fit for England.

Still, I'm hopeful about the Performance Director position going to Sir Clive Woodward , but I fear it will go to Lewsey or White. Welsh rugby fans are predictably biased where Woodward is concerned but if he achieved with them what he did with England they wouldn't hear a word said against him, English or not.

I feel like the RFU have managed to cock things up yet again, I hope I am wrong, hoping for the best, expecting mediocrity.

Last edited:
A bit deflated and disappointed with the Jones appointment. Felt England needed a coach with a hard edge who would inspire the team physically. I feel like Jones is primarily a backs coach who will struggle to select forward packs and/or struggle to get the best out of a pack weakened by injury. He is a good coach with a strong record, but I just don't see him as a good fit for England.

Still, I'm hopeful about the Performance Director position going to Sir Clive Woodward , but I fear it will go to Lewsey or White. Welsh rugby fans are predictably biased where Woodward is concerned but if he achieved with them what he did with England they wouldn't hear a word said against him, English or not.

I feel like the RFU have managed to cock things up yet again, I hope I am wrong, hoping for the best, expecting mediocrity.

I don't think you have to be Welsh to note that Woodward hasn't been in the pro game for 10 years, that his last involvement was a fiasco, and that his entire time in rugby has been marked with wild bursts of insanity and poor interpersonal skills, and that it's quite possible these facts will be more prominent in any future involvement than the things he does well. I wouldn't rule out that possibility myself either.

Don't feel to deflated until you see who he brings in with him as his coaching team.
Jones is the man I wanted and like you o really want scw aswell.
After jones is revealed I wonder how long it will be until he reveals who he's bringing with him

Good move by the England RFU.
Now if they have a brain they will get rid of that expensive idiot Rob Andrew.

1pm first press conference some journo is going to ask it.

I suspect Eddie will want to tell Farrell to his face.

Fed up of some people saying should be an English coach:

1) Who cares
2) Who wanted the Job?

Jones other than Deans was the only international coach I was happy if England got that hasn't ruled themselves out. (for me would preferred Rennie if poss but oh well).

Good move by the England RFU.
Now if they have a brain they will get rid of that expensive idiot Rob Andrew.

Again, you're buying into this myth that Andrews overseas the elite team element. He doesn't and hasn't since 2011. He is Rugby Operations Director and his remit is solely to manage the relationship between the RFU and Premiership Rugby. Tour of NZ the other year aside, that elements has gone as smoothly as it has done for a number of years.

Very pleased with appointment. I'm sure he has been told he can pick who he wants in his coaching team, and again money is not a problem.

He will have a much stronger set of forwards to work with than he did in 2003, but still agree he needs a strong coaching pick in that area.

valley commando is a prick who reads his rugby of WalesOnline.

You can call me what you want you no nothing about me and were my info comes from I' m not getting into an argument with someone as smug and self righteous as you it proves nothing, I've said nothing inflamatory on this subject, in fact if you look back far enough I said Jones would be a good fit for England several weeks ago.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what you said about the last one ..... And the one before ......

Of course I did, let's hope sometime in the next 20 years I'm right. Without hope we have nothing it's what being a fan is all about.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if he gets Borthwick on board who seems to be an excellent forward coach and may prove to be the man to ultimately take over from Jones.

Jones is simply the most qualified man for the job; so it's a "YAY" for me.
He's won the S12
He's been HC of a RWC finalist
He's been assistant coach for a RWC winner
He's coached in the Prem, saving Sarries from relegation
He's overacheived with limited playing resources

OK, so he's also finished rock bottom of the S12, and had a torrid 2nd spell at Sarries; but those positives far outweight the negatives.

The only things missing on his rugby CV are a Heineken Cup and a RWC win as Head Coach; the latter meaning he's still hungry.

I'm seeing a lot of negativity on various sites; but I've yet to see anyone suggest someone more qualified than EJ.

Oh, and as for those coaches who've "ruled themselves out" - does anyone actually still believe the public utterings of these people? They have existing contracts, and they're not going to want to shit in their current bed before they know they've got a new one to move into (Jake White aside; and even he withdrew of his own accord... approximately 2 hours before the official announcement and 2 days after everyone in rugby knew). The only ones you can believe when they rule themselves out are either currently unemployed or simply have a better job already (so Henry, Hansen, Cheika).

Last edited:
The amount of unhappy people around regarding this appointment is surprising. Although, my friends and the majority seem happy.

Tommi - I suggest not looking at the Tigers' board.
Mind you, according to that board it is literally impossible for the RFU to do a good thing, and any indications that they may have done a good thing means, by definition, that it wasn't a good thing after all.

Latest posts