• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

No word yet of any action taken against Binny? No news is good news right?
I think liking a post would be a hard charge to pursue. Unless it was one of hers talking about a final solution again. I just worry he's going to do something incredibly stupid again.

Live footage of Eddie Jones trying to stop Billy Vunipola from doing anything on social media.
giphy.gif

I disagree about Wilson. I thought he stepped up fantastically during the AI's and showed that he is a genuine option at 8.

For me Wilson as cover (switch there if needed after starting at 6 or off the bench), but Binny, on form every time to start as number 8 and more so in the RWC. AI's show Wilson can do a job there as necessary, but he's not a World class ball carrying option for me. Binny is.

Aye, I'm a massive Wilson fan but he's 2nd choice at best at 8.
Really great player and can definitely do a job there at international level but Binny is a step above all other options.
If it comes down to Wilson vs Hughes, though, it's a no brainer

For me Wilson as cover (switch there if needed after starting at 6 or off the bench), but Binny, on form every time to start as number 8 and more so in the RWC. AI's show Wilson can do a job there as necessary, but he's not a World class ball carrying option for me. Binny is.

Oh I agree with that, I just disagree when you said he's not a big enough ball carrier. I think he can do the job, but yes Binny is better.

Wilson's a good enough carrier to be a genuine option at 8 at international level, but not with Underhill and Curry on the flanks. You'd need a good ball-carrying 6 to pick up some of the work load, and England don't really have an option like that with any experience.

That said, a backrow along the lines of 6. Ewers/Dombrandt 7. Curry 8. Wilson would not be bad at all.

Binny is a step above all other options

As a carrier yes. Although even that comes with caveats. I think teams are finding it easier to negate him and if his power game isn't working, does he offer enough in other areas? That said, few others could have scored that try against Leinster, but how often recently has he made that kind of critical intervention in an England shirt?

As a rugby player, as a no8 I'm not so sure.

Personally I'd start Morgan and have Binny on the bench.

With Wilson at 8, I would go for Lawes at 6 and Curry at 7. Then you have a nice balance of ball carriers, continuity and jackals.

If Binny plays, then Wilson goes to 6 and Lawes to the bench.

Wilson's a good enough carrier to be a genuine option at 8 at international level, but not with Underhill and Curry on the flanks. You'd need a good ball-carrying 6 to pick up some of the work load, and England don't really have an option like that with any experience.

That said, a backrow along the lines of 6. Ewers/Dombrandt 7. Curry 8. Wilson would not be bad at all.
Just replied similar, but with Lawes at 6.

As a carrier yes. Although even that comes with caveats. I think teams are finding it easier to negate him and if his power game isn't working, does he offer enough in other areas? That said, few others could have scored that try against Leinster, but how often recently has he made that kind of critical intervention in an England shirt?

As a rugby player, as a no8 I'm not so sure.

Personally I'd start Morgan and have Binny on the bench.
All fair points,
Morgan would definitely be in my plans too - arguably as starter (though I hold out hope for a rampaging Binny to tear teams apart once again)
EJ has other plans, though

Just replied similar, but with Lawes at 6.
Lock only at 6 in emergency. I think wilson is great at 6, good carrier and good workrate and is good 8 cover. Meaning we dont have to have hughes on the bench.

But no locks at 6 unless we have to....please

The team for the Barbarians game could be interesting.

Pat Lam has already called up some very good players and if we go too experimental, we could lose two years on the trot.

If the play-offs go as expected with a Saracens vs. Chiefs final, I'd like to see Morgan, Cipriani, Atkinson and Thorley all start for England.

I think Atkinson is a potential bolter for England. He's had a cracking season and is far more deserving than Te'o. Ironically, if Gloucester win, a Premiership final might cost him a late audition in an England shirt.

I definitely think you pick from those teams that have finished well and gloucester players deserve a shout. Dunno if they will get a chance though as it seems like EJ knows the players he wants as part of a wider player pool.

I definitely think you pick from those teams that have finished well and gloucester players deserve a shout. Dunno if they will get a chance though as it seems like EJ knows the players he wants as part of a wider player pool.

He should do by now.

The Barbarians match is a fun irrelevance.

EDIT. In all the back row talk Underhill seems to have been forgotten a bit. If everyone's fit and firing he flanks with Curry.

Last edited:
Ordinarily, I think 'a fun irrelevance' is a fair description, but with the context of it being a RWC year, I'm not sure it is.

The fact that it's a non-cap game means it essentially a no-risk opportunity to try any last minute bolters/bringing players back in to the fold.

If they do well, there's a chance to keep them involved for the warm up. If they fail the audition, there's an easy out.

Last year, our lineup was: 1. Marler 2. Singleton 3. Sinckler 4. Stooke 5. Launchbury 6. Robshaw 7. Curry 8. Mercer 9. Youngs 10. Ford 11. Brown 12. Francis 13. Trinder 14. May 15. Daly which is definitely not a joke lineup.

As I mentioned if Gloucester lose in the semi final, I'd like to see Morgan and Cipriani brought back in to the mix with Atkinson and Thorley given a run out.

Others I'd like to see Alex Dombrandt and Joe Marchant.

He should do by now.

The Barbarians match is a fun irrelevance.

EDIT. In all the back row talk Underhill seems to have been forgotten a bit. If everyone's fit and firing he flanks with Curry.

I guess it's more that fans have some questions still, even if it EJ does know. As for Underhill I still think he'd be better at 6 with Curry at 7.

Definitely worth a look. Particularly as the Barbarians back row is going to be pretty handy ...

They've got Luatua, Messam, Isa and Mata (Bill not Juan) to choose from already.

Latest posts