3. Archer- better than Loughney
4. Tuohy-deserves to be in the full squad
5. Toner-same as Tuohy
6. McLaughlin-just edges Muldoon I think because of his aerial ability
7. Henry-again should probably be involved in full squad
8. Ruddock-again building is a pretty good player anyway
9. Boss-better than O'Leary Marshall should be there
10. Madigan-been brilliant for Leinster in Rabo see if he can step up
11. Fitzgerald-once again should be in full squad up until injury was the form winger in Ireland
12. Keatley-good player need a goal-kicker
13. O'Malley-great attacking player should probably be in full squad as well
14. D. Kearney-been in decent form recently
15. Gavin Duffy (c)-proven good steady hand

16. Varley-only option
17. Loughney-only option poor scrummager hopefully won't need to come on
18. McCarthy-really good player if not for age I'd start him
19. Muldoon-pretty much same as McCarthy
20. O'Leary-only option
21. Spence-don't need out-half cover thanks to two 10's on pitch
22. Hurley-only option

Forwards:
Decent scrum, plenty of options at lineout time, nearly an actual 7, some good carriers if more is needed McCarthy will carry well.

Backs: Good bally playing 10 and playmaking first receiver option at 12, some very good strikerunners, back-three are strong in the air if weather is bad it's viable to revert to highballs.

For Saxons am guessing something like:
1. Wood
2. Gray
3. Doran-Jones
4. Attwood
5. Parling
6. Gaskell
7. Saull/Gibson
8. Narraway
9. Young
10. Burns
11. Monye
12. Twelvetrees
13. Trinder
14. Armitage (though Banahan would be nice:D)
15. May

Thats a not fully informed guess as I'm not overly knowledgeable of players going off what I've seen from most English posters. I understand some players will probably be called up to EPS. (Which I have to say I find an incredibly pretentious name)

Admin Edit to add in teams:

[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]England Saxons[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Ireland Wolfhound[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Delon Armitage[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Gavin Duffy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ugo Monye[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]David Kearney[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Hopper[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Eoin O'Malley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Billy Twelvetrees[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Nevin Spence[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Banahan[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Simon Zebo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Freddie Burns[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Ian Keatley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Spencer[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Isaac Boss[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Waldrom[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Ruddock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andy Saull[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Chris Henry (C)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]James Gaskell (C)[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]John Muldoon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]George Robson[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Mike McCarthy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Garvey[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Dan Tuohy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul Doran-Jones[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Stephen Archer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Joe Gray[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Damien Varley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matt Mullan[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Brett Wilkinson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chris Brooker[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Mike Sherry[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rupert Harden[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Ronan Loughney[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kearnan Myall[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Devin Toner[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Johnson[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Kevin McLaughin[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul Hodgson[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Thomas O'Leary[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ryan Lamb[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Ian Madigan[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Johnny May[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Denis Hurley[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the look of that team, should be at least capable of keeping the game close. With regard to TH prop, there's a lot of talk over on Leinsterfans that Jamie Hagan is being kept out of the Wolfhounds squad as the 6N provides a unique opportunity to get him some much needed game time. Also, apparently he's spending pretty much all of his time working on scrummaging so the consensus is that he's being groomed as the long term successor for Mike Ross and that one game against the Wolfhounds isn't going to be as valuable as the work he'll do over the coming two months.

I like the look of that team, should be at least capable of keeping the game close. With regard to TH prop, there's a lot of talk over on Leinsterfans that Jamie Hagan is being kept out of the Wolfhounds squad as the 6N provides a unique opportunity to get him some much needed game time. Also, apparently he's spending pretty much all of his time working on scrummaging so the consensus is that he's being groomed as the long term successor for Mike Ross and that one game against the Wolfhounds isn't going to be as valuable as the work he'll do over the coming two months.

I can believe that, while this season won't be good for him short term it'll definately stand to him long-term.

Last edited:
England wise, I don't really know is or isn't in the Saxons at the moment due to call ups/drops etc.

Would like to see something like:

1. Nick Wood
2. Joe Gray
3. Paul Doran-Jones
4. Dave Attwood (George Robson - If not available due to England call up)
5. Geoff Parling (Matt Garvey - as above)
6. Tom Johnson
7. Andy Saull
8. Luke Narraway
9. Micky Young
10. Freddie Burns
11. Johnny May
12. Billy Twelvetrees
13. Henry Trinder (Delon Armitage - as above)
14. Ugo Monye
15. Nick Abendanon

16. David Paice
17. Matt Mullan
18. Joe Launchbury
19. Jamie Gibson
20. Karl Dickson
21. Ryan Lamb
22. Delon Armitage (Anthony Allen if DA is starting, presuming that Goode is away with England)

Pretty tasty backline that. Not entirely convinced of the tight five, but considering the front row we're going to put out, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Front row is probably better than the one that England will put out, Wood and Doran-Jones are arguably the form English props atm.
Second row may be a little lightweight but should get the job done.
I expect Gaskell will start at either lock or 6 though which will weaken either of those positions.

Should be a great match though, I always enjoy the Saxons matches and we've got a score to settle with this one :p

But he's not rubbish<_< and Spence hasn't played well at 12.

Not sure I buy that, Wolfhounds is what? Couple of weeks training and one game? He'd still be there all 6N. Training time with Mike Cron and a game against Nick Wood sounds pretty useful to me, even if Wood isn't in great form.

Not sure I buy that, Wolfhounds is what? Couple of weeks training and one game? He'd still be there all 6N. Training time with Mike Cron and a game against Nick Wood sounds pretty useful to me, even if Wood isn't in great form.

Aye , but I'm only reporting what I've heard. Seems odd to me as well if true.

The more probable explanation is of course that Kidney is a fool.

My Saxons squad:

1. Nick Wood - Suprised he wasn't included in the EPS squad. England's best loosehead at the moment I think.
2. Joe Gray - Bit of a coin toss between him and Brooker, but I went for Gray because he adds speed.
3. Paul Doran-Jones - Again, Lancaster left out a top flight prop. Definitely Saxons worthy, probably should have been in the EPS starting 22.
4. Matt Garvey - Grunt second row.
5. George Robson - Line out second row.
6. Tom Johnson - Liked him last year in the saxons. Strong carrier of the ball and MUCH better than Gaskell.
7. Andy Saull - See if he can develop into the 'true openside' England are needing. His time isn't yet, but I see a prospect.
8. Thomas Waldrom - Why not? Narraway is good, but I like a bulldozer at 8. Also I think Narraway's been called up to the EPS for the first matches.

9. Micky Young - Doesn't get enough game time, but is a good Saxons player.
10. Freddie Burns - Should be England 10 after Flood. That will give time for Ford to develop more. Burns is a class player.
11. Jonny May - I know, I know - a centre he may be, but having watched him playing in the back three this season I feel he is still just as effective.
12. Billy Twelvetrees - Did very well in the Churchill Cup last year. Would be my Goal Kicker as well, and would work well with Burns as he's used to playing with EFS outside him. 12T and EFS are very similar players.
13. Jonathan Joseph - Yes, Trinder is good, but what's the harm in giving Joseph a try in the first match.
14. Matt BANAHAN - Meh he's not great, but at Saxon level I think he could be of use, especially as in my line up I don't many big strike runners. (If anyone really really disagrees? then Armitage.)
15. Nick Abendanon - Really like him as a player, and Alex Goode isn't available.

A couple of changes have been made to the O2 Ireland Wolfhounds (brought to you by the good people at Puma) squad. Paddy McAllister and Luke Fitzgerald have better things to do, like washing their hair. Jack McGrath and Simon Zebo have been called up.

A couple of changes have been made to the O2 Ireland Wolfhounds (brought to you by the good people at Puma) squad. Paddy McAllister and Luke Fitzgerald have better things to do, like washing their hair. Jack McGrath and Simon Zebo have been called up.

Paddy Mac wasn't in the Wolfhounds, he was one of the bag carriers. I'd have another rant at Gilroy's omission, but its a little hard after Zebo scored a hat-trick, so fair play to him. Have they called up a replacement bag carrier for Zebo?

Also - McGrath is a loosehead, right? Sounds like they've got Court practicing on the TH side...

McGrath is primarily a loosehead who can play tighthead. He captained Leinster A yesterday.

Gilroy and Fionn Carr have been called up to the tackle bag holder squad.

McGrath is primarily a loosehead who can play tighthead. He captained Leinster A yesterday.

Gilroy and Fionn Carr have been called up to the tackle bag holder squad.

Odd that he called up both.

Didn't know he could play tighthead as well; however, I'm going to stick by my guess they're mainly working with Court as a tighthead in training.

edit: Its not odd, Conway's washing his goldfish/is injured.

Last edited:
Putting Carr in with the tackle bag holders is a bit like sending your kid to the creche when he's 9

I like the look of the Saxons team and would like to watch the game but I live a good 200 miles from Devon so does anyone know ifits being televised?

Latest posts