• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Sqaud Announcement

I'm more inclined to believe that when Carling says he doesn't want the job because he doesn't think he could do it, he wouldn't turn around 10 months later and take the job... *coughJohnsoncough*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Norfolk Enchants @ Jan 14 2010, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another unfortunate showing of Johnson and the rest of those involved in Englands managements' shortcomings. What sticks out for me...

No Fly Half who can play the game at real pace on the game line, once you dont have this then your backs line is already hindered. Wilkinson was picked before even properly justifying the call, hell he was picked in the squad for the ai's before he'd even played a game for Toulon. So Johnson is basically sending out the message that if you have the name, then you'll always be picked over those in form. I am a fan of Flood but we do still lack a fly half who has both pace and vision, and I actually feel a bit sorry for Cipriani here as its been something like 15 months since he was picked for England, and yes he has character shortcomings but as far as I am concerned he has gotten his head down, not whinged to the press and since his return from injury has shown a lot of what is lacking in the England side at the moment. Not to mention the various other fly half alternatives to a has been who did im afraid to say get shown up in the autumn internationals especially by an out of form Dan Carter.

I dont understand what Dominic Waldouck has to do to get included, we've heard everyone out there harping on about how hes one of English rugbys hottest prospects, and how weak we are in the centre area, yet he is ignored again with a recent rugby league convert in his place. He covers both inside and outside centre comfortably, but Johnson seems to be blinded by this desperate need to pick a big hitter who can only run in a straight line (Tindall, Noon, Erinle) in the centre. Whats blatently going to happen now, is that instead of bleeding him in slowly, instead there is going to be a load of injuries and we will see the same old England thing of just throwing Waldouck in for his debut against the wallabies/all blacks/south africa in a high pressure match...its madness!

Forwards was nothing I didnt expect, same old same old really, no vision for the future of course when I can immediately think of two young props who have been doing brilliantly this season thus far but instead we stick with injured but no risk sheridan and the ageing white.

The lack of taking a slight risk is the reason we went into 2007 with the 8th best squad in the tournament. For all his shortcomings If Woodward hadnt been bold and brought the likes of Wilkinson, Tindall, Vickery etc etc into the England squad at a young age and bled them in rather then throwing them in all of a sudden when injuries required them England wouldnt have arrived at australia in 2003 as the best prepared and balanced side in the tournament[/b]

Agree about Waldouck. When he and Cipriani are purring, there's no better 10-12 combination in English rugby. Maybe even European. He definitely deserves a chance with England - we've known he was special for 10 years. I even remember him, aged 13, practising goalkicking on his own at our club (Richmond) before a big final the next day. f***ing dedicated.

On to Cipriani. He is the best footballing fly half in England, by far. He takes the ball flat, his hands are awesome... same shape as Matt Giteau. However, his kicking game is shocking. Not just last year's charge-downs - his goalkicking, tactical kicking... is all wrong. Until he sorts this out, he cannot be picked ahead of players like Flood who have worked on the 'game management' side of being a fly half.

Also, interesting article by Carling. I agree with him, and I think Johnson has been overly loyal and stubborn - it was easy to blame the players last year, because the discipline was their own fault. But his selection policy has been very poor - he's shown far too much loyalty to players who haven't earned their place. England wants to be a world class side, and to be world class you must get rid of those there to make up the numbers (eg Payne) and try someone potentially world class but inexperienced (eg Coles). And picking players on attitude and training performance is ********. Judge their matchday performance, and that alone. Otherwise you get guys like Farrell, who clearly trained very well, but couldn't cut it come matchday.

From over the ditch, guys, I feel for you. Never thought I'd say that but hey, never say never .This selection really doesn't make sense.

Funny GG that you would say that about Cips because it's exactly what Trinh Duc is criticised for (by the ppl who don't see him play every week). He was bad last year but his kicking game has really improved this year.

All England need to do now is bring in
Full back Shaun Briscoe
Wing Ryan Hall
Centre Michael Shenton
Fly Half Sam Tomkins
Scrum Half Kyle Eastmond

in addition to Chris Ashton and Shontayne Hape.

Then we may see some open attractive Rugby.

It won't happen as the kicking donkeys will be showcasing their talents. :rolleyes:

My selection:

1 - David Wilson
2 - Dylan Hartley
3 - Dan Cole
4 - Nick Kennedy
5 - Countney Lawes
6 - Tom Croft
7 - Lewis Moody
8 - James Haskell
9 - Danny Care
10 - Jonny Wilkinson
11 - Ugo Monye
12 - Jordan Turner-Hall
13 - Dan Hipkiss
14 - Chris Ashton
15 - Delon Armitage ©

16 PR - Andrew Sheridan
17 HK - David Paice
18 LK - Steve Borthwick
19 FL - Tom Rees
20 SH - Paul Hodgson
21 UTIL - Ben Foden
22 UTIL - Shane Geraghty/Toby Flood

fixed!

23 - FB Mathew Tait
24 - WG Mark Cueto
25 - FH Danny Cipriani
26 - SH Joe Simpson
27 - FL Steffon Armitage
28 - LK George Skivington
29 - HK Lee Mears
30 - PR David Flatman

Confused about this Ashton selection. EPS squad in the paper didn't list him - I thought, FFS! But you guys reckon he's some sort of injury replacement? Mind games?

Ashton is superb for Saints - maybe even good enough for Ireland - but does England have players in the squad who can cut him loose? Toby Flood would be a BIG no no.

That's who i'd pick, in an ideal selection. I don't see the point in having past-it veterans in the team purely because they've been there so long. You need a squad of players roughly at the same level progressing together. That way they will fight harder for places and results would come on that basis.

A lot of these players would have to grow into the roles. I still don't see the experiments with RL players working. Vainikolo was just in for a bit of muscle, kind of the Tuilagi effect and as for guys like Hape, he's a fair club player, i doubt he's test standard and besides, he's kiwi, played for NZ and it's wrong.

The point of having a squad is to get players into it and into roles. Players who are in form, should get called-up. Ashton is lighting it up at the mo in all competitions. Worth a punt. But what happens is the familiars end up in the squad because of who they play for. Like Deacon and Payne. Why call-up average club players, and ones who are over the hill or have done nothing more than mediocre throughout their career?

You can't teach and old dog new tricks. There aren't many stars in that team, but it's comfortable, versatile and it's youthful. A ot of growing to do. But, you can't gte instant success at national level, it's not Chelsea or Man City FC. Players come in, lose form and it's important we remain competitive, but we might have to accept we aren't going to win anything for maybe 2 seasons, but when other teams are in transition, it will come good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 14 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Confused about this Ashton selection. EPS squad in the paper didn't list him - I thought, FFS! But you guys reckon he's some sort of injury replacement? Mind games?

Ashton is superb for Saints - maybe even good enough for Ireland - but does England have players in the squad who can cut him loose? Toby Flood would be a BIG no no.[/b]
Apparently it's because Vickery is injured, so the EPS is one player short, so they've "promoted" ashton from the saxons to the EPS until Vickery is back

It's a backdoor way of having unlimited choice in the EPS, showing just how pathetic the whole and unworkable agreement really is.

Not as though it matters as we're certain to have Banahan f***ing things up in the 14 shirt anyway.

I'm not too sure,
Johnson seems to love Cueto and Monye, i can't see him dropping either of them for banahan
But then again, Banahan scored our only try in the AIs, so maybe Johnson is thinking "People want tries...he scored the most for England in the AIs, therefore people want Banahan!" =/

Never forget you can't spell "Biased Mafia from Bath forever ruining English rugby and looking after their own interest ahead of that of the sport" without RFU.

Hense Banahan (and Hape) will play.

Why else would Lee Mears have ever won a cap? It certainly wouldn't be for his ability to play rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 14 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never forget you can't spell "Biased Mafia from Bath forever ruining English rugby and looking after their own interest ahead of that of the sport" without RFU.

Why else would Lee Mears have ever won a cap? It certainly wouldn't be for his ability to play rugby.[/b]

You make so many f***ing ridiculous statements.

Banahan shouldn't start for England, no, as he is not quite as good or experienced (yet) as Ugo Monye or Mark Cueto, but he is a quality player and just the guy you want when you're looking for something different. He is a proven try-scorer and brings other players into the game, not to mention sucking defenders away, creating space. He's a rookie in the international arena and with just 5 tests i think his tally of 3 tries is pretty good considering Wilkinson/Goode failed to get the ball past their inside centre 9 times out of 10! I mean seriously, England's game plan would make any player look ****.

Then Lee Mears, who has been the best hooker in the country since Thompson. Considering he broke his neck and Hartley only arrived on the international radar a couple of years ago that would explain the fact that he has his caps. Not only this, but his consistency over this period lead to a Lions call mostly due to his faultless line-out throwing and fantastic play in the loose (try watching some videos of him with Matt Stevens at the beginning of last season).

Also, i think we all pretty much get your views on the RFU, so you don't need to bring it up every time a Saints player doesn't get picked for England.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jan 14 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, i think we all pretty much get your views on the RFU, so you don't need to bring it up every time a Saints player doesn't get picked for England.[/b]

facepalm.jpg

Oh dear, looks like I said nasty things about Bath...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 14 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jan 14 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, i think we all pretty much get your views on the RFU, so you don't need to bring it up every time a Saints player doesn't get picked for England.[/b]

facepalm.jpg

Oh dear, looks like I said nasty things about Bath...
[/b][/quote]

Or.... it could be the fact that it would be quite nice to read a thread about the England national team where there isnt a dossier on the supposed corruption within the RFU and the supposed anti-saints conspiray.

Be my guest, please find me one "Oh boo hoo hooo, there's not enough Saints" post in this thread.

Edit: Or for that matter, anytime in the past 4 years by me. Betcha can't find one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He's an "injury replacement for Vickery", actually being a Saxons player.

It's a typical-RFU fiddle to draft in any player they want instead of sticking to the agreed EPS rules.

Nothing to see here, move along...[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 14 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Why else would Lee Mears have ever won a cap? It certainly wouldn't be for his ability to play rugby.[/b]

Admittedly, there may not be a pro-Foden/Hartley rant in this particular thread, but eventually your 'rants' do end up with the summary that the said players are ignored because of the club they play for, not, perhaps (and don't get me wrong - im sure i'm incorrect with this) that they are, i don't know, unconfident under the highball, or say temperamental and inexperienced. Not to mention the fact that in the positions they prefer there are already quality internationals.

Latest posts