• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England V Wales - 29th May

I certainly hope this starts to ring the alarms for Gatland and co... We haven't even played that badly, just like in the world cup and 6 nations. But the game plan doesn't have enough variation in it if we don't get front foot ball. As you say we get outplayed and outthought.
The problem is this isn't the first time the gameplan has been shown up by a long way...the problem is knowing Wales they'll get hammered in NZ do alright in the AI's. Then inexplicably win a grand slam and paper over the cracks for another 2 seasons.

Already seeing press suggesting that Burrell did enough to get to Aus. Bleugh.

Overall happy with it but very sloppy first half. I guess we should have got that out of our systems at least.

I certainly hope this starts to ring the alarms for Gatland and co... We haven't even played that badly, just like in the world cup and 6 nations. But the game plan doesn't have enough variation in it if we don't get front foot ball.

How many times have we heard this from Welsh fans? Just a bit more variation and suddenly Wales will be smashing the SH sides. Sorry, just sounds delusional. Your Pro 12 sides were useless this season and Charteris and Davies x 2 are returning next season to this level. But the problem is not just with the coaching, but your players don't play at a high enough level for long enough. NZ players are playing ERC level rugby week in week out in the Super rugby ( I would say Super rugby is higher level than ERC from what I've seen of the two), whilst most Welsh players are playing ITM cup level week in week out and ITM cup is probably higher level.

England soundly won that game and good to see some nice stuff from Daly, some good turnovers from Kvesic and Clifford and Harrison both had good solid games. Would be interesting to see a back row of Kvesic, Vunipola and Clifford. Dynamic, strong and with Itoje gives you two fetchers.

Not sure Burrell is going to make the plane, and I rekon Faz is going to fill the 12 birth. Care made quite a difference, on their day both 9s can play really well, but they are both so flaky, that needs sorting.

I feel pretty good about the Aus tour but if I were Welsh I'd be expecting a pretty torrid time based one that performance.

Bring on June

The problem is this isn't the first time the gameplan has been shown up by a long way...the problem is knowing Wales they'll get hammered in NZ do alright in the AI's. Then inexplicably win a grand slam and paper over the cracks for another 2 seasons.
That's the crux of it. We don't have an all conditions type of game plan. It can just about get results versus 6 nations opposition and South Africa (once!) But it's not good enough to beat Australia and New Zealand which is what we should be striving for.I look at the Argentinians and see what's possible if a positive mindset is instilled. I'm still of the opinion that Gatland ball doesn't suit the Welsh players.

Might be in minority here but Mullan was a bit meh. (and has been a bit meh all season for Wasps IMO, Last season he was much better).

England though showing great depth in the pack esp in young players coming up.

For me Yarde was fine he might of tired to hard at times but wouldn't want Ashton over him. (Roko yeh prob)

Scary to think that our 2 props finishing that game where both playing for the U20's last year in the JRWC.

When name the games now!!!

Ulster vs Saracens when Payne got sent off - Farrell's goal kicking was the only reason Ulster had a chance that day. And Saracens vs Leicester at Wembley, when Farrell managed to get 1 out of 5 penalty attempts before Sarries decided that maybe Charlie Hodgson was a better idea.

Horsecock, Peat... Owen is the Iceman.

You think you're funny but I'm going to dig up your great-grandparents and beat you to death with their femurs to the sounds of the very worst in Country & Western.

Well that game showed us little to hope for in the Southern Hemisphere games to come!

Does not matter who the Welsh pick in the backs as the scrum is going to be so mightily smashed, they will never see the ball.

Ford, on this season's showing should never play for England again!

Joseph and Burrell were a dead loss as centres and played themselves out of the England team rather than into it!

Farrell and Billy V are the only Saracens player who are "must be there" as there are no ready made alternatives for them at present!

Itoje and Kruis have ready replacements in Launch and Lawes, Clifford needs more time but could be the replacement for Billy V but Mako is just not the class scrummager needed and is a decent replacement at best.

Although there are very good signs for an English revival in due course in the young players coming through today, just cannot see either of these teams winning a single match down South this summer!

Well played England. Defence has been our strength for so long but has fallen apart this year. No idea what's going on, changes have to be made somewhere because we are going downhill fast. Two passes and England were beyond us, if Farrell had been playing we would have been beaten by 40 plus. Never mind the fact England were missing other plays as well. When you see falatau make mistakes you know It's gonna be a bleak year for Welsh rugby.

Christ any chance of some new coaches after we lose 3-0 to NZ, specifically one who'll pick players on form and another who'll teach us how to attack properly.

How many times have we heard this from Welsh fans? Just a bit more variation and suddenly Wales will be smashing the SH sides. Sorry, just sounds delusional. Your Pro 12 sides were useless this season and Charteris and Davies x 2 are returning next season to this level. But the problem is not just with the coaching, but your players don't play at a high enough level for long enough. NZ players are playing ERC level rugby week in week out in the Super rugby ( I would say Super rugby is higher level than ERC from what I've seen of the two), whilst most Welsh players are playing ITM cup level week in week out and ITM cup is probably higher level.

What you say is true but look at international teams across the world. They tend to play to their strengths. Eddie Jones is taking you guys back to that. Ireland in my opinion have always been a side that plays better tactically, which is what Schmidt has resorted back to. We have never been a side that plays a bashing game.

Jesus that was painful. Bloody pointless game, thoroughly demoralizing from a Welsh perspective, but hey at least the unions got to line their pockets :rolleyes:

Christ any chance of some new coaches after we lose 3-0 to NZ, specifically one who'll pick players on form and another who'll teach us how to attack properly.

Although changes are needed I cannot see it happening. As someone said above we'll get hammered in new Zealand and the Autumn internationals then somehow win the six nations and everything will seem OK again, it's just not right.

For what it's worth I'd like to see the Pro 12 become a more super rugby style competition I.e not a mix of a premiership and super rugby style comp which it is right now. The regions have too many youngsters who aren't ready for elite pro rugby and it dilutes the product and the quality of performance. But that's for another thread, don't mean to hijack this one

I would like to see a proper A league comp throughout Europe (Or at least the England, the Celtic nations and Ireland).

Latest posts