• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England V Wales - 29th May

People say drop Ford but for who? Cips kicking is just as bad from the tee, Slade hardly been setting the world alight for the chiefs let alone in a position he hasn't played all season in.

I gave him grief during the game, but overall he wasn't **** poor (Expect his kicking)

Anyone heard of the tour from hell in 1998? Imagine if Wilko was dropped because of that.

He was a teenager a couple of months on from his debut. Bit different to Ford who's 23 with a similar number of caps.

Not saying Ford should be lobbed out with the bath water, but right now he should be playing second fiddle to Farrell. Personally I'd like to see the Chiefs move Slade into 10 asap and see how that goes. If he cuts it, he'd give us genuine options covering other positions, which Farrell can only do a bit and Ford can't do at all.

I agree with almost all of Brian's overview there. From a Welsh perspective, I never felt that Wales had anything to gain from this game. Win and you beat a depleted England team, lose and it feels like you've not even played the full England team and lost. England have more than matched the breakdown and defensive intensity of Wales in the last two fixtures, and it's stopped Wales completely.

Although the English team were hastily organised as Brian described it, you can't discount the amazing depth that English rugby has and that a lot of those 'fringe' players had a real chance to put their hand up for the jersey going forward. Wales didn't have that pressure either, and I feel it really showed in the intensity throughout the game.

Well done to England. With the full team they have a real chance now for a test series win against OZ!

I agree with almost all of Brian's overview there. From a Welsh perspective, I never felt that Wales had anything to gain from this game. Win and you beat a depleted England team, lose and it feels like you've not even played the full England team and lost. England have more than matched the breakdown and defensive intensity of Wales in the last two fixtures, and it's stopped Wales completely.

Although the English team were hastily organised as Brian described it, you can't discount the amazing depth that English rugby has and that a lot of those 'fringe' players had a real chance to put their hand up for the jersey going forward. Wales didn't have that pressure either, and I feel it really showed in the intensity throughout the game.

Well done to England. With the full team they have a real chance now for a test series win against OZ!

Haha! A mediocre performance with many errors and very poor kicking out of hand against a dreadful Welsh team and now we are looking for a series win in Aus!!

Imagine what the Aussie back three will do with all that ball kicked down their throats with no chasers near!! It was mentioned in commentary that Fords natural reaction was to kick and he did this from turnover ball which is a no no no no no!!!

Said it before, cannot see either of these sides win even one match down under..........England showed they are very much on the right track but they would have been soundly beaten by a Sanzar team! Wins against other NH teams, especially where there is nothing at stake, should be taken with a huge grain of salt!!

Don't quite understand why some people keep saying they would be beaten by a SANZAR team.

They weren't playing a SANZAR team they where playing Wales.

Horses for courses and all that.

Mako, Mullen or genge? Who starts and who benches, I think Genge would be great after a bit more game time, plus Kudos for no mouth guard and chewing gum like a badman..

Haha! A mediocre performance with many errors and very poor kicking out of hand against a dreadful Welsh team and now we are looking for a series win in Aus!!

Imagine what the Aussie back three will do with all that ball kicked down their throats with no chasers near!! It was mentioned in commentary that Fords natural reaction was to kick and he did this from turnover ball which is a no no no no no!!!

Said it before, cannot see either of these sides win even one match down under..........England showed they are very much on the right track but they would have been soundly beaten by a Sanzar team! Wins against other NH teams, especially where there is nothing at stake, should be taken with a huge grain of salt!!

I think there was plenty at stake for the players on the field for England. Many of them were proving points. Let's not forget England were missing some important and in form players.

I'm not just basing it on one game. They've won a grand slam, their domestic teams are really strong in Europe and their domestic league is doing well.

They're a team on the up and they have every right to be confident in Aus. I can see them doing well.

Swapping him for JJ is completely unnecessary IMO, and would only serve a desire for change for change's sake.

It's good to have multiple players regular starting in the same position Danny care, Ben young for example, keeps players on there toes, besides Daly has probably been the inform 13, does that not entitle him to a shot, really see what he can do.

Clearly this was a Welsh ploy to lull an AB team with 6 new caps into a false sense of security

I think there was plenty at stake for the players on the field for England. Many of them were proving points. Let's not forget England were missing some important and in form players.

I'm not just basing it on one game. They've won a grand slam, their domestic teams are really strong in Europe and their domestic league is doing well.

They're a team on the up and they have every right to be confident in Aus. I can see them doing well.

I agree that they are on the up and a lot of what you say but my point is that this trip is too early in the regeneration!

They have the potential and, although I remain skeptical, Jones would appear to be the man! But no 6N ***le or strength in club competition is the level that is required against the SH teams at present!

Soon maybe but not yet and perseverance with Ford will, at this time, hold them back.......and Jones knows that no matter what crap he came out with!

I agree that they are on the up and a lot of what you say but my point is that this trip is too early in the regeneration!

They have the potential and, although I remain skeptical, Jones would appear to be the man! But no 6N ***le or strength in club competition is the level that is required against the SH teams at present!

Soon maybe but not yet and perseverance with Ford will, at this time, hold them back.......and Jones knows that no matter what crap he came out with!

I couldn't have put it better myself, I think you hit the nail on the head, let's not pretend here Wales were extremely poor for the most part one could argue that England just didn't allow them to play but 5 tries that defence is usually a lot more difficult to break so not convinced we can call it a great England performance or the Welsh making us look good, I guess we will soon see :)

It's good to have multiple players regular starting in the same position Danny care, Ben young for example, keeps players on there toes, besides Daly has probably been the inform 13, does that not entitle him to a shot, really see what he can do.

JJ's been poor all season, Daly's been phenomenal. I'm tired of JJ's useless grubbers that ultimately just give away possession. Daly more than deserves a shot at starting, I hope he starts against Aus.

JJ's been poor all season, Daly's been phenomenal. I'm tired of JJ's useless grubbers that ultimately just give away possession. Daly more than deserves a shot at starting, I hope he starts against Aus.

He's not been at his best but not as poor as some make out.

Continuity is crucial to international rugby, and he hasn't been anywhere near bad enough to drop when there are more pressing areas which need sorting out.

He's not been at his best but not as poor as some make out.

Continuity is crucial to international rugby, and he hasn't been anywhere near bad enough to drop when there are more pressing areas which need sorting out.

Swapping the 2 isn't that big a change, nothing in the game plan is really going to have to change as they are very similar players, except that Daly is slightly faster, slightly bigger, has a much better passing game, a much better kicking game and is more versatile. I can't see a reason why not to start Daly.

I don't really like all this talk of earn a shot, deserves a go, give them a chance etc.etc. For me, it should be down to one crisp brutal question - Will you do more to make England win than anyone else I could put in the position? Yes, in the team, No, out of the team, and nothing else in the world matters. There's a place for "Will picking you help England win next year" but that's about it.

Right now, I can't make a concrete case for Daly being the better choice than Joseph, because I think Joseph's been pretty decent for England this year. Last game, his defence was impeccable other than getting bounced by Dacey, distribution good apart from that one pass to Watson, made a few good breaks and a nice kick. One bad kick too - but then Daly put in a stinker of a kick too.

If Jones turns around and puts Daly in for whatever reason, I'll be happy enough. But I see no reason to change, not while Daly is something of an unknown factor at test level. I guess I'd feel differently if I thought Joseph was making a mess of things, but he's not.

For me, it should be down to one crisp brutal question - Will you do more to make England win than anyone else I could put in the position? Yes, in the team, No, out of the team.

He can put in penalty kicks from 65+ metres if that counts. I don't think anyone else in the England set up and especially not JJ can do that. And you say Joseph hasn't made a mess of things, however I would argue that the grubber kick in which he gave away possession and the shocking pass to Watson against a Wales side who were pretty poor on the day, didn't amount to much, but against Oz they are both the margins that will win or lose a game. The same goes for being able to kick penalties from well into your own half.

He can put in penalty kicks from 65+ metres if that counts. I don't think anyone else in the England set up and especially not JJ can do that. And you say Joseph hasn't made a mess of things, however I would argue that the grubber kick in which he gave away possession and the shocking pass to Watson against a Wales side who were pretty poor on the day, didn't amount to much, but against Oz they are both the margins that will win or lose a game. The same goes for being able to kick penalties from well into your own half.

Those could be game losing things against Oz although probably not.

So too could Daly's decision to kick a counter-attack right down their throat with no chaser.

Considering their time on the field, both made a fairly equal number of small mostly harmless but potentially lethal mistakes. Most players do.

Last edited:

Latest posts