• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England's Manu Tuilagi detained after Auckland ferry jump

That's hardly equivalent to making up stories which end up in a nation's PM having to apologise and not committing to training properly and becoming obese

Hench using the word "slowly." Watching Sky Sports this morning I've seen plenty of his other issues, most notably punching someone full force in the skull during a match.

Hench using the word "slowly." Watching Sky Sports this morning I've seen plenty of his other issues, most notably punching someone full force in the skull during a match.

The only thing wrong with that is the silly bugger got caught. Plenty of the game's greatest players have got punchy from time to time.

Jumping off a ferry is fun. Don't see an issue really, other than him being a "role model" for poms who have waters too cold for this activity. In a sense he is promoting hypothermia.

Maybe he should have done it with a wetsuit on.

Tuilagi punching Ashton in the skull was nothing ha ha he just got to the front of a long long que :D
And well what a legend for jumping off the ferry and well I think this is been blown up to be alot worst than it actually is.

Yes, I can't stand Ashton, I would love it if he dropped the ball one day doing his stupid dive

And that was quite some punch, maybe Manu Tuilagi will be credible enough to be Sonny Bill Williams' next opponent in the ring

more boring news stories.

So far, England's off-field bad marks:

- having a drink - (so have New Zealand and I presume most other teams)
- captain being drunk and having a chat with an ex girlfriend (which clearly nobody has ever done <_<)
- going bungee jumping (nothing wrong with that at all)
- being [strike]slightly out of line[/strike] chatting with a hotel worker (later publicised some weeks after the incident, when journalists/ the worker decided to make some money out of it)
- tuilagi jumping off a boat for a swim

none of this involves any murders, rapes, fights, racial abuse, or any other serious offences attributable to 'bad-boy' sportsmen. Hell, there aren't even any stories about ****ing dogs or prostitutes in toilets.

It's basically all pathetically TAME, and anyone who takes any interest in it or buys any of the wankrags that publish the stories is simply endorsing the shitty, low-brow, gutter journalism and popular culture that the British, American and other world medias thrive on. You're far worse in my eyes for reading this **** than the England team are for providing a 'story'. Hope you're all enjoying X Factor.

Seriously; the english press need to back off the team a bit. Every time they go having a little fun the press act like they've commit treason. Jeremy Guscott, the world's most moronic sports pundit, needs to get off his high horse.

- captain being drunk and having a chat with an ex girlfriend (which clearly nobody has ever done <_<)
- being [strike]slightly out of line[/strike] chatting with a hotel worker (later publicised some weeks after the incident, when journalists/ the worker decided to make some money out of it)

I don't see problems with any of these. Any athlete should know though that there's bound to be some idiot at a hotel that is looking to blow anything way out of proportion. The media eats that stuff up as we've seen so many times in the past. I wasn't even aware of any of these issues surrounding England up until the ferry dive. To be honest, that's just young stupidity.

more boring news stories.

- tuilagi jumping off a boat for a swim

none of this involves any murders, rapes, fights, racial abuse, or any other serious offences attributable to 'bad-boy' sportsmen. Hell, there aren't even any stories about ****ing dogs or prostitutes in toilets.

It's basically all pathetically TAME, and anyone who takes any interest in it or buys any of the wankrags that publish the stories is simply endorsing the shitty, low-brow, gutter journalism and popular culture that the British, American and other world medias thrive on. You're far worse in my eyes for reading this **** than the England team are for providing a 'story'. Hope you're all enjoying X Factor.

What he said

Rugby does have this larking around image (cue Andy Powell in a golf cart) and Tuilagi to be fair, hasn't really done anything that bad.. a bit nuts if you ask me, but being samoan that ferry swim was nothing.. i heard when he was a kid he had to travel 15 miles to school which consisted of walking half a mile to the edge of the savai'i and then swimming to Upolu.. then realised he had forgot his schoolbag.

Mind that people have been arrested in the past for jumping off moving vehicles, so Tuilagi is actually kinda lucky all he got was a fine.

I found it ferry funny

Seriously; the english press need to back off the team a bit. Every time they go having a little fun the press act like they've commit treason. Jeremy Guscott, the world's most moronic sports pundit, needs to get off his high horse.

Agreed

They showed a clip of some of the England players arriving at Heathrow on the news, and one of the reporters said to Ben Youngs "Can you tell us what happened with Manu Tuilagi?" and he looked at them like they were idiots and goes "...he jumped in the sea? But of course we're under such limelight...."

In a serious question, do people think England struggle alot at major tournaments in soccer and well here at rugby due to being backed in to isolation by the UK media?
Tuilagi is a youngster and jumped in to the sea ...... So what it not as if he did a major crime.
The lads were slammed for drinking when every team (I know for fact Ireland did) had a party. People seem to forget they are away from their loved ones since end of June and well it's good to allow these guys to let off some steam as opposed to been locked in hotel watching the Michael Jackson trial.

In a serious question, do people think England struggle alot at major tournaments in soccer and well here at rugby due to being backed in to isolation by the UK media?
Tuilagi is a youngster and jumped in to the sea ...... So what it not as if he did a major crime.
The lads were slammed for drinking when every team (I know for fact Ireland did) had a party. People seem to forget they are away from their loved ones since end of June and well it's good to allow these guys to let off some steam as opposed to been locked in hotel watching the Michael Jackson trial.

The media might have something to do with it but, lets be honest, the main problem with our rugby team is that a very limited coaching panel picked poorly from a limited pool of players and then trained them badly. The media's a sideshow compared to that.

^ Exactly. In football, our best players simply aren't good enough. In rugby, our best players are good enough to challenge most teams, but they're left on the bench, in the reserves, or back in England.

Well I moving away from cooaching side and just reflecting on social side. Agree the coaching has been poor and well was always surprised the Johnson ever got the job simply because I think for a job that size you need a considerable amount of experience at a club. The same would be said of French coaching team but I suppose untested rookies were all the fashion at that time.

Latest posts