AfakasiAssasin

Academy Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Samoa
Samoa RWC Squad named
Samoa squad for RWC 2011:

Forwards: Ole Avei, Maurie Faasavalu, Census Johnston, Filipo Lavea Levi, Daniel Leo, Logovi'i Mulipola, Ti'i Paulo, Anthony Perenise, Manaia Salavea, Mahonri Schwalger, George Stowers, Sakaria Taulafo, Joe Tekori, Kane Thompson, Ofisa Treviranus, Taiasina Tuifua.

Backs: Kahn Fotuali'i, David Lemi, Johhny Leota, Seilala Mapusua, Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, Tasesa Lavea, Augustino Poluleuligaga, George Pisi, Tusi Pisi, James So’oialo, Jeremy Sua, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Alesana Tuilagi, Paul Williams.

My Samoa RWC matchday lineup

1 Sakaria Taulafo
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Kane Thompshon
5. Dan Leo
6. Taiasin Tuifua
7. Ofisa Treviranus
8. George Stowers
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tusi Pisi
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapasua
13. George Pisi
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul Williams

16. Ti'i Paulo
17. Cencus Johnston
18. Iosefa Tekori
19. Maurie Fa'asavalu
20. Junior Poluleuligaga
21. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
22. James So'oialo

Probably the strongest Samoan squad in the last decade, alot is expected from the Manu Samoa after their shock win over Australia last month. Being in the same pool as Wales Fiji and South Africa, they will likely need to beat at least two of these teams to reach the quarter final stages. If they can play to their potential, sky is the limit what they can achieve if they play at their very best.

Players to watch

Iosefa Tekori (lock), Taiasina Tuifua (loose forward), Ofisa Treviranus (loose forward), Kahn Fotuali'i (scrumhalf), Seilala Mapasua (centre), Alesana Tuilagi (wing), Paul Williams (fullback)

Last edited:
Good on Ofisa and Logovii making the squad..

So 5 loosies.... I thought they would have gone with 6 so they could bring along Alafoti.

Also... I thought Manaia was injured.. and will be missing the RWC???

Sole Afa.. where did you get the info faamolemole.

James Sooialo has done well but their were others that could have filled that role, i guess his goal kicking is the key to his selection from the start. One player samoa should go for in the future if an all blacks gig is hard to come by is crusaders Sean Maitland future fullback right there.

yes what ever happened to henry tuilagi, i'm pretty sure this would of been his last wc if made available. Really wanted H.Tuilagi to display his hard running form in the southern hemisphere.

Jeremy Su'a is a suprise selection. He mustve played out of his skin last weekend to earn his spot in the final squad. No Henry or Andy Tuilagi which is a shame. Henry must be retired from playing international rugby and/or is injured ...and Andy seems to have fallen out of favour with the selectors. Logovi'i Mulipola has room to grow. But he didnt impress during the pnc as didnt Simon Lemalu..i reckon the only reason he was choosen over James Johnston is maybe because James cant cover the loose head prop and we have cencus as cover on the tight head side. James Afoa is another who couldve been a better option than Mulipola, but he mustve made himself unavailable as he wasnt even listed in the initial squads. Other players that are unlucky at the top of my head are Johnny Fa'amatuinu, Alafoti Faosiliva, Ezra Taylor, Fa'atonnu Fili, Afa Aiono, Steve Fualau, Lua Vailoaloa, Brenton Helleur and Fautua Otto. An in form Mikaele Pesamino couldve been there if he was playing at the level he was last last year. But after earning a pro contract in Europe which got messed up by confusion, he then got injured, couldnt regain his form upon his return to 7s, lost his spot in the sevens team and unfortunately couldnt find a place in the 15's squad. Overal though i am pleased with this team as IMO it is the greatest manu samoa squad of the modern professional era. I believe in them and that this is the team that can go far come this RWC.

Great team, hope they do well. I'm quite happy there weren't much 7's players in there, from the games I watched, I find that they just not up to playing the 15 man game .i.e lack ruck/maul speed & skills at breakdown. Instead of these two players: Tasesa Lavea|Augustino Poluleuligaga. I'll take Fili & Helleur(sp?). David Lemi just a waste. He cant find the gap, or creat something out of nothing. e.g. Afato. Overall good team. However these guys probably prove me wrong.

Congratulations to the uso's that got selected and hard luck to the ones that didn't. At least we now know the squad and time for Samoan to get behind the team.

A strong squad although I still rate the 2007 squad stronger. Have to disagree with you wartimmins, while most of the Samoan backs use brute strength and size to break the line, Lemi along with Sapolu have the ability to step and jinx there way through defensive lines. Polu is in for experience and Su'a must have shown great form to leap ahead of Helleur and Vailoaloa.

Congratulations to the uso's that got selected and hard luck to the ones that didn't. At least we now know the squad and time for Samoan to get behind the team.

A strong squad although I still rate the 2007 squad stronger.

Comparison of the two strongest lineups from the Squads (2007/2011)

1. Justin Va'a / Sakaria Taulafo
2. Mahonri Schwalger / Mahonri Schwalger
3. Cencus Johnston / Anthony Perenise
4. Kane Thompson / Kane Thompson
5. Felipo Levi / Iosefa Tekori
6. Dan Leo / Taiasina Tuifua
7. Semo Sititi / Ofisa Treviranus
8. Henry Tuilagi / George Stowers
9. Junior Poluleuligaga / Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu / Tusi Pisi
11. Alesana Tuilagi / Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapasua / Seilala Mapasua
13. Elvis Seveali'i / George Pisi
14. Lome Fa'atau / Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Loki Chricton / Paul Williams

the whole 2007 Samoa RWC squad
Forwards (16): Justin Va’a, Census Johnston, Kasiano Lealamanua, Mahonri Schwalger, Donald Kerslake, Muliufi Salanoa, Silao Vaisola Sefo, Filipo Levi, Kane Thompson, Daniel Leo, Iosefa Tekori, Ulia Ulia, Henry Tuilagi, Siuleo Lafaialii, Justin Purdie, Semo Sititi (Captain).
Backs: Steve So’oialo, Junior Poluleuligaga, Loki Crichton, Lolo Lui, Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, Jerry Meafou, Anitelea Tuilagi, David Lemi, Seilala Maposua, Elvis Seveali’i, Brian Lima, Lome Fa’atau, Alesana Tuilagi, Gavin Williams.

I think when you compare the two, the 2011 Squad looks stronger and definitely has more depth then the 2007 Samoa RWC side.

Pretty predictable with the exception of Sua. Some close calls for some of the reserve positions.

2011 > 2007. Easily.

[h=2]Samoa RWC Squad named[/h]
Samoa squad for RWC 2011:

Forwards: Ole Avei, Maurie Faasavalu, Census Johnston, Filipo Lavea Levi, Daniel Leo, Logovi'i Mulipola, Ti'i Paulo, Anthony Perenise, Manaia Salavea, Mahonri Schwalger, George Stowers, Sakaria Taulafo, Joe Tekori, Kane Thompson, Ofisa Treviranus, Taiasina Tuifua.

Backs: Kahn Fotuali'i, David Lemi, Johhny Leota, Seilala Mapusua, Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, Tasesa Lavea, Augustino Poluleuligaga, George Pisi, Tusi Pisi, James So’oialo, Jeremy Sua, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Alesana Tuilagi, Paul Williams.

My Samoa RWC matchday lineup
1 Sakaria Taulafo
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Kane Thompshon
5. Dan Leo
6. Taiasin Tuifua
7. Ofisa Treviranus
8. George Stowers
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tusi Pisi
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapasua
13. George Pisi
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul Williams

16. Ti'i Paulo
17. Cencus Johnston
18. Iosefa Tekori
19. Maurie Fa'asavalu
20. Junior Poluleuligaga
21. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
22. James So'oialo

Probably the strongest Samoan squad in the last decade, alot is expected from the Manu Samoa after their shock win over Australia last month. Being in the same pool as Wales Fiji and South Africa, they will likely need to beat atleast two of these teams to reach the quarter final stages. If they can play to their potential, sky is the limit what they can achieve if they play at their very best.

Players to watch

Iosefa Tekori (lock), Taiasina Tuifua (loose forward), Ofisa Treviranus (loose forward), Kahn Fotuali'i (scrumhalf), Seilala Mapasua (centre), Alesana Tuilagi (wing), Paul Williams (fullback)
The only changes i would make o the squad is replace Filipo Levi with Jonny Faamatuainu, Logovii Mulipola with a more experienced prop... maybe James Afoa, James Johnston or even Justin Vaa, only if they had made themselves available, other than that the last change i would make is Jeremy Sua, i would have thought that Lua Vailoaloa would have made the team based on his form in the pnc which imo performed very well... other than that the team looks very strong.

3. Cencus Johnston / Anthony Perenise
5. Felipo Levi / Iosefa Tekori
6. Dan Leo / Taiasina Tuifua
13. Elvis Seveali'i / George Pisi
15. Loki Chricton / Paul Williams

the whole 2007 Samoa RWC squad
Forwards (16): Justin Va'a, Census Johnston, Kasiano Lealamanua, Mahonri Schwalger, Donald Kerslake, Muliufi Salanoa, Silao Vaisola Sefo, Filipo Levi, Kane Thompson, Daniel Leo, Iosefa Tekori, Ulia Ulia, Henry Tuilagi, Siuleo Lafaialii, Justin Purdie, Semo Sititi (Captain).
Backs: Steve So'oialo, Junior Poluleuligaga, Loki Crichton, Lolo Lui, Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, Jerry Meafou, Anitelea Tuilagi, David Lemi, Seilala Maposua, Elvis Seveali'i, Brian Lima, Lome Fa'atau, Alesana Tuilagi, Gavin Williams.

3. Kas Lealamanua / Anthony Perenise
5. Jo Tekori / Iosefa Tekori
6. Leo Leo Lafaialii / Taiasina Tuifua
13. Brian Lima / George Pisi
15. Gavin Williams / Paul Williams

Above is my strongest lineup for 2007. Manu Samoa had more depth in the propping department and players like Mapusua, Tuilagi, Va'a and Lealamanua were at there peak. You'd also find that Filipo Levi didn't play in the world cup. He suffered an injury in a friendly warm up game in England leading up to the world cup.

It's hard to compare to which is the better side. One thing for sure is that this Samoan team is better prepared and have better coaches. So yes, they are expected to do better than 2007.

15 more days manu supporters. Can't wait to see the men in Blue in action. Web ellis trophy is heading to the south pacific.

Comparison of the two strongest lineups from the Squads (2007/2011)1. Justin Va'a / Sakaria Taulafo 2. Mahonri Schwalger / Mahonri Schwalger3. Kas Lealamanua / Anthony Perenise4. Kane Thompson / Kane Thompson5. Jo Tekori / Iosefa Tekori6. Leo Leo Lafaialii / Taiasina Tuifua7. Semo Sititi / Ofisa Treviranus8. Henry Tuilagi / George Stowers9. Junior Poluleuligaga / Kahn Fotuali'i10. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu / Tusi Pisi11. Alesana Tuilagi / Alesana Tuilagi12. Seilala Mapasua / Seilala Mapasua13. Brian Lima / George Pisi14. Lome Fa'atau / Sailosi Tagicakibau15. Gavin Williams / Paul WilliamsAbove is my strongest lineup for 2007. Manu Samoa had more depth in the propping department and players like Mapusua, Tuilagi, Va'a and Lealamanua were at there peak. You'd also find that Filipo Levi didn't play in the world cup. He suffered an injury in a friendly warm up game in England leading up to the world cup.It's hard to compare to which is the better side. One thing for sure is that this Samoan team is better prepared and have better coaches. So yes, they are expected to do better than 2007.
Yes I know he was injured and replaced but he was still in the squad Nevertheless. The 2007 scrum was HORRIBLE as we were destroyed the scrum time and time again. Justin Va'a was never selected for the Manu Samoa again after the RWC. Our front row atm is probably the best its been in a long time and Mahonri Schwalger is def at his peak now. Other than Henry Tuilagi when he was fit, the loose trio is defiantly noticeably weaker with Semo Sititi and Leo Lafaiali'i playing in the twilight of their careers plus Lafaiali'i is more of a second rower. Jo Tekori and Kane Thompson were very fresh to the scene back then and are now hitting their prime and playing better than ever as is a lot of players in the current squad who played back then. While Junior Poluleuligaga was probably their best player of that tournament, there is no doubt that Kahn Fotuali'i is def the better player and I think bar injury is in for a cracking tournament. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu is more of a centre than a fly half and Tusi Pisi has played really well at first five for Samoa as of late even though both are not the greatest tactical kickers. In the centers, Brian Lima (as much as it pains me to say this) was waaaay past his use by date and had it showed as he had a poor RWC. Seilala Mapasua at club level may have been at his prime at club level back then, but I think for The Manu Samoa, he has never been better. The centre combo with George Pisi is the best it's been in a long time.in the wings Alesana was at his prime at club level but didn't make much of an impact and had a very disappointing 2007 campaign. lome Fa'atau played reasonably well but our wingers ATM (Alesana Tilagi, Sailosi Tagicakibau and David Lemi) I think will make more of an impact this time around. Paul Williams > Gavin and it was Loki Chrichtn who played the majority at fullback back then. As I said when you compare the 2 I'm sure most people will agree this years squad and starting lone up is MUCH stronger than 2007.

Very disappoointed Fai Mika didnt get a look in and he was keen. His performances at ITM cup have been very solid. Much better proposition than Mulipola. I could see Mika challenging the first choice guys.

When I think about it Faamataiunu was good in lineouts when I last saw him but the rest of his game wasnt impressive.

Im glad Polu is there and I cant discount the possibility of Polu at half and Foutualii at 5/8 at some stage

Yes I know he was injured and replaced but he was still in the squad Nevertheless. The 2007 scrum was HORRIBLE as we were destroyed the scrum time and time again. Justin Va'a was never selected for the Manu Samoa again after the RWC. Our front row atm is probably the best its been in a long time and Mahonri Schwalger is def at his peak now. Other than Henry Tuilagi when he was fit, the loose trio is defiantly noticeably weaker with Semo Sititi and Leo Lafaiali'i playing in the twilight of their careers plus Lafaiali'i is more of a second rower. Jo Tekori and Kane Thompson were very fresh to the scene back then and are now hitting their prime and playing better than ever as is a lot of players in the current squad who played back then. While Junior Poluleuligaga was probably their best player of that tournament, there is no doubt that Kahn Fotuali'i is def the better player and I think bar injury is in for a cracking tournament. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu is more of a centre than a fly half and Tusi Pisi has played really well at first five for Samoa as of late even though both are not the greatest tactical kickers. In the centers, Brian Lima (as much as it pains me to say this) was waaaay past his use by date and had it showed as he had a poor RWC. Seilala Mapasua at club level may have been at his prime at club level back then, but I think for The Manu Samoa, he has never been better. The centre combo with George Pisi is the best it's been in a long time.in the wings Alesana was at his prime at club level but didn't make much of an impact and had a very disappointing 2007 campaign. lome Fa'atau played reasonably well but our wingers ATM (Alesana Tilagi, Sailosi Tagicakibau and David Lemi) I think will make more of an impact this time around. Paul Williams > Gavin and it was Loki Chrichtn who played the majority at fullback back then. As I said when you compare the 2 I'm sure most people will agree this years squad and starting lone up is MUCH stronger than 2007.

Filipo Levi was not in the world cup squad - He was replaced by Alfie To'oala who was just as devastating as Henry Tuilagi. Rules state that when a player is replaced he can not stay with the team, meaning Filipo Levi was not in the squad.

Not sure what you were watching in the 2007 rugby world cup but Samoa did hold up in the scrums. They game against South Africa where John Smit descibed the first 20 minutes as the most physical rugby he has ever endured was a bauty. Even though the scorline blew away at the end Samoa did play well. Against Tonga - Samoa took them lightly and rested a few key players, Henry Tuilagi in particular. Tonga were more hungry and you had to question some of the replacement calls by the coaches.
Jo Tekori and Kane Thompson already had 2 - 3 years playing in Super rugby so you wouldn't say they were fresh to the scene.

I still believe the 2007 team is just as good if not better but thats my OPINION, where you have the right to yours. Like I said before the big difference this time is that the 2011 squad have had more time to prepare and have a much better coaching team than they did in 2007.

Lets disagree to agree and get behind Manu Samoa!!

Tatou tapua'i fa'atasi le au a le Manu.

Very disappoointed Fai Mika didnt get a look in and he was keen. His performances at ITM cup have been very solid. Much better proposition than Mulipola. I could see Mika challenging the first choice guys.When I think about it Faamataiunu was good in lineouts when I last saw him but the rest of his game wasnt impressive.Im glad Polu is there and I cant discount the possibility of Polu at half and Foutualii at 5/8 at some stage
Really? Wow... I would prefer Mika over Logovi'i Mulipola if he was indeed keen. Mika has been good in the ITM from the limited I've seen him play while Mulipola hasn't showed me anything to warrant selection for the RWC. However management and coaching staff rate him highly and I hope, if he gets his chance at the RWC, that he repays that faith.

Very disappoointed Fai Mika didnt get a look in and he was keen. His performances at ITM cup have been very solid. Much better proposition than Mulipola. I could see Mika challenging the first choice guys.

When I think about it Faamataiunu was good in lineouts when I last saw him but the rest of his game wasnt impressive.

Im glad Polu is there and I cant discount the possibility of Polu at half and Foutualii at 5/8 at some stage

Yeah I agree. Fai Mika has been in good form for Tasman and he is a 80 minute player. Not sure how Mulipola made the squad when he struggled to make Hawkes Bay squad. Even Kas Lealamanua was ahead of him in Hawkes Bay. Guys like James Johnston and James Afoa who have been playing week in week out. Mulipola must have something special.

Am glad Fa'amatainu didn't make the squad. He's had his chances for the last 5-6 years in the Manu Squad and hasn't done anything to cement his place.

Good to see Polu there, I think they will use him off the bench and Su'a will be lucky to see any game time. Polu and Fotuali'i combination would be nice to see.

Latest posts