• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Georgia vs. Canada. 09/11/13

And again! That was a certain georgian try but Gorgodze takes the ball into contact in one hand and gets stripped with ease.
He's big and powerful but he's crap at rugby.

A bit harsh, I have seen him do a few good offloads at Montpellier, but I see your point. He certainly wouldn't get away with that technique without his physical gifts. He only started rugby late by the way, aged 17 or 18, converted from basketball, I think perhaps some of his offloading technique comes from basketball which is loose and gets exposed in wet conditions like this.

Meko is on his good form today... when he's good he's good

Sorry I wasn't on here guys, I was having a nightmare with the stream in the 2nd half I had to constantly refresh and get like 30 seconds of live action than I would get rugby stills for some reason. Dour from Canada I'm very dissapointed, Ardron's red was a massive blow and I guess he's heading straight back to Wales since he won't be available for Romania or Portugal. Still think he was a questionable choice at captain. That must be the first time in ages we haven't scored a try.

We simply did not have enough ball in the 2nd half, Georgia were constantly putting on pressure and territory, our lineout did not have a good game either, though the scrum did at least hold it's own. Wonder how long Barkwill is out for Piffero was meh in relief. Our goalkicking was better than I had expected only one tough kick missed, I wonder if a couple of times we were threatening we shouldn't have taken the points though.

Also upset by the constant running itno touch that was awful, was Pritch out because of a training knock? He would have been an invaluble calming influence in the backs, stupid to leave him out of the side in this kind of match up.

Last edited:
Well that was a ****ed up game. I thought Canada looked to be the better team until the fight broke out at the end of the second half but after that they seemed to lose their composure and let Georgia dictate the style of the game which prevented Canada from effectively using Hassler, Mackenzie, and Evans. Credit to Georgia though, they won by playing their game.

The fight, however, was handled disastrously by the referee. To give Ardron a red card for approaching the Georgian #6 who nearly ripped Jones' head off (or was it Underwood's?) and then not even throwing a punch but receiving countless shots was probably the worst call I have seen since Warburton got the red at the WC. Brutal non-call for the unnoticed stamping by the Georgian #16 too.

Ardron cleary did NOT throw the first punch.....

Last edited by a moderator:
2 sides who like to act hard! A big fight was always likely to break out.

Great win for Mamuka and Georgia, and with Montpellier's Didier Bes running the forwards onwards and upwards.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Official crowd number listed as 22,827 in a 60,000 stadium. Not a bad number, but would have looked better in the 27,000 stadium the Mikheil Meskhi but never mind, I've heard Georgia has had some issues with stadia availability of late. Canada drew more than Japan or Fiji did last year.

Official crowd number listed as 22,827 in a 60,000 stadium. Not a bad number, but would have looked better in the 27,000 stadium the Mikheil Meskhi but never mind, I've heard Georgia has had some issues with stadia availability of late. Canada drew more than Japan or Fiji did last year.
That's a very good number on a cold rainy day... considering how much Georgians like the comfort of home and sports pubs during the games

That's a very good number on a cold rainy day... considering how much Georgians like the comfort of home and sports pubs during the games

Just out of curiosity, would it be common for this match to be shown in a pub and would a lot of people be watching it there?

Just out of curiosity, would it be common for this match to be shown in a pub and would a lot of people be watching it there?
yeaa absolutely Pubs would be overcrowded.. there's a sports pub/cafe or a restaurant with TVs on every corner of the street and whole town would be watching rugby there.. Also if someone has a spacious house they invite buddies and make a huge gathering for the game day... its like one of my favorite things about Georgia People love to socialize... no one ever sits home alone to watch a game that's pretty rare.. unfortunately to most Georgians Pub/restaurant/home sounds and feels better than cold and wet stadium.

Such a **** game from us.... I cannot begin to express my displeasure with our performance today. Our forwards got one-up'ed hard by the Georgian pack and we played right into their hands with our stupid aerial ping pong and ridiculous off-loading. The card of Ardron was ridiculous but if you are going to get a card at least make it worthwhile.... if this had been Canada circa 1990's/early 2000's Kolelishvili would have been a corpse on the field... our boys need to man up!

What I really want to know is how Lawrence came up with that BS call... we had 3 players go off injured after that fight, it was absolute horse**** the call he made! His lack of action in disciplining Georgia changed the entire tone of the game.

Last edited:
IMHO, the referee's decision was absolutely correct when he red carded both players. If he had sent off only Kolelishvili, it would be very bad precedent and awful message to rugby players. It would mean ,,Ok, if someone commits high tackle or some kind of ,,unnecessary violence" (I love this phrase, which is used in American Football), you can attack him and stay unpunished".
I believe that referee is the only man on the pitch, who has the right to restore justice.
On the other hand, I perfectly understand that it is not always possible for rugby players to control their emotions. However, in this case you must be ready for sanctions and do not ask for ,,favorable treatment".

Can there ever be a rugby match in which Georgia doesn't fight?

IMHO, the referee's decision was absolutely correct when he red carded both players. If he had sent off only Kolelishvili, it would be very bad precedent and awful message to rugby players. It would mean ,,Ok, if someone commits high tackle or some kind of ,,unnecessary violence" (I love this phrase, which is used in American Football), you can attack him and stay unpunished".

But Ardron didn't attack the Georgian #6. All he did was go over to him and grab him by the jersey; that's when the Georgians started acting like convicts by attacking anyone who moved. Check out the video.

No matter how you look at it, the Georgians benefited from shoddy refereeing when the fight broke out.

But Ardron didn't attack the Georgian #6. All he did was go over to him and grab him by the jersey; that's when the Georgians started acting like convicts by attacking anyone who moved. Check out the video.

No matter how you look at it, the Georgians benefited from shoddy refereeing when the fight broke out.

This. Even a yellow to Ardron would have been a little harsh, though I wouldn't have had my jaw drop, my Dad and I were watching and we were like "Did we miss something? Did Ardron punch somebody or do something that wasn't caught in the replay?"

Not to say a Canadian victory would have been guarenteed with how ass we were yesterday but it was a huge moment. Hopefully an appeal has been launched.

We had three players leave the field after that fight and it changed the game, Barkwill and Tiedemann were literally getting gang-beaten by the Georgians. IMO Georgia should have been heavily punished like Tonga were in the PNC, the way Lawrence called it was completely wrong and promotes a brand of very negative rugby. The game was terrible and one we need to forget about very quickly. One thing I hate about our team is they never seem to want to take a chance. That first penalty kick we took they should have kicked for touch in the corner right away and their were numerous other times I thought we should have kicked for touch rather then going for the three points.

There were numerous times where we ended up losing the territory battle by catching the ball off a Georgian kick then simply booting it right back to them giving up possession and not allowing our dangerous backs to be unleashed. It was so frustrating to watch because every time the ball actually made it out to Trainor, Mackenzie, Hassler, Evans they would consistently get go-forward ball and looked very dangerous in open play.

I will give full credit to the Georgians though, I will be honest I really like your guys team, you have a big pack with a lot of very mean dudes who are going to be able to intimidate and bully almost any side you come up against. Your players are also disciplined at the breakdown and in set-piece play and it really showed during the entire match. Our forwards got owned by your guys, no other way of putting it.

Latest posts