[EOYT] Georgia vs. Canada. 09/11/13

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Georgia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Canada.png

Georgia vs. Canada. 09/11/13, 16:30 GET(7:30 A.M. EST, 4:30 A.M. PST) Dinamo Arena, Tblissi, Georgia

Referee: Lourens Van De Merwe (South Africa)

Broadcast: Canada: IRB.com (live stream) Georgia: 1TV (live)

Canada (14th) visits Georgia (16th) in what promises to be another physical encounter between the sides, who have met three times previously all in recent years. Canada will be looking to do better in Tblissi than they did in 2010 where the Georgian forwards tore them apart in a 22-15 win in front of a large and passionate crowd. Canada took some measure of revenge with a home victory (31-12) in the spring of 2012.

Previous Results:

Canada 31-12 Georgia
Georgia 22-15 Canada
Canada 42-10 Georgia

Lineups will be posted when available.

Georgia

1. Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier HR)
2. Shalva Mamukashvili (Army Tbilisi)
3. Davit Kubriashvili (Stade Français)
4. Konstantin Mikautadze (RC Toulon)
5. Levan Datunashvili (Stade Aurillacois)
6. Viktor Kolelishvili (Lyon OU)
7. Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier HR)
8. Giorgi Chkhaidze (Tarbes PR)
9. Giorgi Begadze (Batumi XV)
10. Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo Tbilisi)
11. Tamaz Mchedlidze (US Bourg-en-Bresse)
12. Merab Sharikadze (US Bourg-en-Bresse)
13. Davit Kacharava (Enisey-STM Krasnoyarsk)
14. Irakli Machkhaneli (RC Armazi)
15. Merab Kvirikashvili (CS Vienne)

Reserves

16. Simon Maisuradze (Stade Bagnérais)
17. Davit Khinchagishvili (Racing-Metro 92)
18. Levan Chilachava (RC Toulon)
19. Shalva Sutiashvili (RC Massy Essonne)
20. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (Army Tbilisi)
21. Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi Bulls)
22. Tedo Zibzibadze (CA Périgueux)
23. Beka Tsiklauri (Lokomotiv Tbilisi)

Canada

1- Hubert Buydens, (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Manawatu Turbos) Saskatoon, SK
2- Ray Barkwill, (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
3- Andrew Tiedemann, (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
4- Jon Phelan, (Lille Métropole Rugby/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
5- Brett Beukeboom, (Plymouth Albion RFC) Lindsay, ON
6- Jebb Sinclair, (London Irish) , NB
7- John Moonlight, (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
8- Tyler Ardron, (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON - Captain
9- Phil Mack, (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
10- Liam Underwood, (Queens University/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON
11- Phil Mackenzie, (Sale Sharks) Oakville, ON
12- Harry Jones, (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) West Vancouver, BC
13- Conor Trainor, (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
14- Jeff Hassler, (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
15- Matt Evans, (Cornish Pirates) Maple Bay, BC

Bench

16- Benoit Piffero, (Burnaby Lake RFC/Blagnac Sporting Club) Montreal, QC
17- Djustice Sears-Duru, (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
18- Jake Ilnicki, (Williams Lake Rustlers/Auckland Colts) Williams Lake, BC
19- Tyler Hotson, (London Scottish) Vancouver, BC
20- Adam Kleeberger, (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) White Rock, BC
21- Jamie Mackenzie, (UVIC Vikes/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
22- Nick Blevins, (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
23- James Pritchard, (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia

Last edited:
A repeat of 2010 won't happen. Canada are improved, whereas Georgia despite all indications suggesting they would develop into a bigger force post 2011 have regressed under poor coaching by Milton Haig. Canada can help Georgia here, a clean win for Crowley's men would be better for them than a fluky home win so as to get rid of Haig.

i think georgia might just win it they improved alot since the last meeting

I'm favouring Canada with the caution sign up in one or two areas. 1) Half our team will be on somewhat short rest after playing the Maori on the Sunday than flying out to Georgia to play what would be extremely early Saturday morning in Canada. 2) The scrum I don't think it will go anywhere near as badly as 2010 but Canada needs to be a little wary here and not give up too many unforced errors or knock ons.

If Georgia doesn't play well this November they'll probably change the coaching team.. as GRU president said in one of his interviews: "Its time for us to ask for the results of these experiments" which basically means we've given players and coaches all the support and time over past three years and now that WC is getting closer we need to see noticeable difference; and if we don't ? ... Soo maybe they will stop labeling all their games as "Experimental" like they used to and start playing some real rugby. as for prediction... haven't seen Canada play since our last game so I wouldn't be the most accurate of the sources.. Tell me which Canada game i should watch ? it would be nice if it had USA in it too.... that would spare me another 80 minutes

If Georgia doesn't play well this November they'll probably change the coaching team.. as GRU president said in one of his interviews: "Its time for us to ask for the results of these experiments" which basically means we've given players and coaches all the support and time over past three years and now that WC is getting closer we need to see noticeable difference; and if we don't ? ... Soo maybe they will stop labeling all their games as "Experimental" like they used to and start playing some real rugby. as for prediction... haven't seen Canada play since our last game so I wouldn't be the most accurate of the sources.. Tell me which Canada game i should watch ? it would be nice if it had USA in it too.... that would spare me another 80 minutes

Then watch Canada vs USA in the first RWC qualifier!

To be honest though, that is perhaps the only game since the Georgia game last year where the Canada team has resembled anything like the strongest side. They lost a few big players last November (Cudmore, van der Merwe, Mackenzie, Trainor) and were injury ravaged in June or played a rotated team. Provided they aren't having release/preparation issues, I expect they'll beat Georgia this time in a close-ish match as Georgia are a tough side to thrash at home, even playing poorly.

Then watch Canada vs USA in the first RWC qualifier!

To be honest though, that is perhaps the only game since the Georgia game last year where the Canada team has resembled anything like the strongest side. They lost a few big players last November (Cudmore, van der Merwe, Mackenzie, Trainor) and were injury ravaged in June or played a rotated team. Provided they aren't having release/preparation issues, I expect they'll beat Georgia this time in a close-ish match as Georgia are a tough side to thrash at home, even playing poorly.

I expect us to beat the USA with 10-13 points. Canada I'm not sure it will entirely depend on our tactics i hope Haig has learned something from his mistakes. Although its easy to be skeptical about some decisions.. for example I'm still puzzled as to why he didn't call peikrishvili(especially since so many of our props are out) and Todua... also I don't want to talk about kiasashvili so much since i think hes a good guy and all(mostly cause its public forum and anyone can see it) but come on hes just not good enough :huh: nobody really knows why we keep him in the team..

I expect us to beat the USA with 10-13 points. Canada I'm not sure it will entirely depend on our tactics i hope Haig has learned something from his mistakes. Although its easy to be skeptical about some decisions.. for example I'm still puzzled as to why he didn't call peikrishvili(especially since so many of our props are out) and Todua... also I don't want to talk about kiasashvili so much since i think hes a good guy and all(mostly cause its public forum and anyone can see it) but come on hes just not good enough :huh: nobody really knows why we keep him in the team..

Agree on Peikrishvili, but the coaches are just picking the youngsters Chilachava, Zhvania and Nariashvili, the former 2 are promising, the latter isn't. Georgian scrum has a pretty bad year, it came off second best to Romania and ought to have decapitated some of the truly terrible Tier 2 scrums that are about (Japan, Fiji, Belgium etc), it was worryingly bad against the Argentina scrum that had come off a pasting to England as well. However this will be the first look of it under the new rules, so we will have to wait and see as it completely turned around a struggling Argentine scrum this year.

Agree on Kiasashvili as well, he doesn't run, tackle or kick particularly well under pressure. But he's not the first Georgian full back to be a total car crash in that position. Tsiklauri seems marginally more solid, but with the bonus of being a goal kicker. 10 and 15 are by far the worst positions for Georgia, the backs as an entity get a fair bit of stick but the centres and to a lesser extent wingers can be competent and solid if not really outstanding match breakers. Those who fill 10 and 15 meanwhile regular commit match losing atrocities.

Agree on Kiasashvili as well, he doesn't run, tackle or kick particularly well under pressure. But he's not the first Georgian full back to be a total car crash in that position. Tsiklauri seems marginally more solid, but with the bonus of being a goal kicker. 10 and 15 are by far the worst positions for Georgia, the backs as an entity get a fair bit of stick but the centres and to a lesser extent wingers can be competent and solid if not really outstanding match breakers. Those who fill 10 and 15 meanwhile regular commit match losing atrocities.

They say you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it or something like that right ? now i really understand how huge Shvelidze and Giorgadze were for our scrum. I also don't understand what these coaches are doing with this scrum... they surely won't take those young props to the wc instead of our world class lineup. and trust me our scrum is capable of demolishing any scrum but for these experimental reasons they just don't push which drives me absolutely nuts!!!! i mean look at it
1)Kakovin(Khinchagashvili)
2)Natriashvii(Bregvadze)
3)Zirakashvili(Jgenti,Kubriashvili,Peikrishvili Etc etc)
4)Datunashvili(chkaidze)
5)Nemsadze(sutiashvili
6)Kolelishvili(berishvili)
7)Gorgodze(no one can)
8)Basilaia(Vacant spot)
This scrum can do anything.. they are mobile fast and strong as hell... each and every one of them!! but when i see them being passive and playing to set up the play for backs i just want to bang my head through the wall :mad: its like folding your cards when you're holding flush royal just makes no sense....

as for backs.. Tsiklauri does seem a lot better but honestly after seeing how horrible our last few Fbs were anyone really would look stronger than them. Yes when they say how horrible all our backs are I don't agree with it mostly because I rarely have problems with Centers and wings. at 10 khmaladze or malaguradze will have to do and for 9 i still want to see Kvirikashvili on that position. also I wanted to see todua on the wing so that would give Mchedlidze a chance to play center along with sharikadze... don't you think those 3 would have a nice company ?
I don't want to write much more so il just put back line i think we should be playing(replacements in parentheses)
9)Kvirikashvili(Begadze)
10)Khmaladze(Malaguradze)
11)Todua(Gugava)
12)sharikadze(zibzibadze)
13)mchedlidze(katcharava)
14)Machkaneli(skinin)
15)Tsiklauri(Urjukashvili jr)

I hope we field our strongest side for the tests against Georgia and Romania, I think rugby is on a real big roll in Canada right now and it is important we keep winning and play competitively to increase interest and get the Canadian public behind us.

My 1st XV for the Georgia match would be as follows:

Position/Player/Club
1. Buydens (Manawatu Turbos)
2. Aaron Carpenter (Cornish Pirates)
3. Jason Marshall (Atlantique Stade Rochelais)
4. Tyler Hotson (London Scottish)
5. Brett Beukeboom (Plymouth Albion)
6. Tyler Ardron (Ospreys)
7. John Moonlight (Ontario Blues)
8. Jebb Sinclair (London Irish)
9. Phil Mack (Ospreys/BC Bears)
10. Harry Jones (BC Bears)
11. Phil Mackenzie (Sale Sharks)
12. Mike Scholz (Ontario Blues)
13. DTH Van Der Merwe (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Jeff Hassler (Ospreys)
15. James Pritchard (Bedford Blues)

16. Ray Barkwill (Ontario Blues)
17. Andrew Tiedemann (Prairie Wolfpack)
18. Doug Wooldridge (Bourg-en-Bresse/Ontario Blues)
19. Jon Phelan (Lille Metropole)
20. Nanyak Dala (Prairie Wolfpack)
21. Jamie Mackenzie (BC Bears)
22. Cieran Hearn (The Rock)
23. Matt Evans (Cornish Pirates)

If Available I would def include in the squad:

Jamie Cudmore (ASM Clermont-Auvergne)

Guys I think are def still in contention:

Taylor Paris (SU Agen)
Adam Kleeberger (BC Bears)
Cam Pierce (Pau)
Connor Braid (BC Bears)
Liam Underwood (Ontario Blues)
Aaron Flagg (BC Bears)
Joe Dolesau (BC Bears)
Sean White (BC Bears)
Conor Trainor (Ontario Blues)

Guys I want to see play against Portugal

Shane O'Leary (FC Grenoble)
Jack Fitzpatrick (Dublin University)

Not going to lie guys but I am very happy with the depth we have in some positions, it has actually made it a lot more difficult to chose a team. Lots of competition at Lock, Backrow, Centres and Flyhalf... now if only we could develop some more tight 3's and get a true flyhalf.... hopefully we cap O'Leary and he becomes our new flyhalf.

Last edited:
I hope we field our strongest side for the tests against Georgia and Romania, I think rugby is on a real big roll in Canada right now and it is important we keep winning and play competitively to increase interest and get the Canadian public behind us.

My 1st XV for the Georgia match would be as follows:

Position/Player/Club
2. Aaron Carpenter (Cornish Pirates)
4. Tyler Hotson (London Scottish)
8. Jebb Sinclair (London Irish)
11. Phil Mackenzie (Sale Sharks)

16. Ray Barkwill (Ontario Blues)
18. Doug Wooldridge (Bourg-en-Bresse/Ontario Blues)
19. Jon Phelan (Lille Metropole)
22. Cieran Hearn (The Rock)
23. Matt Evans (Cornish Pirates)

If Available I would def include in the squad:

Jamie Cudmore (ASM Clermont-Auvergne)

Guys I think are def still in contention:

Taylor Paris (SU Agen)
Adam Kleeberger (BC Bears)
Cam Pierce (Pau)
Connor Braid (BC Bears)
Liam Underwood (Ontario Blues)
Aaron Flagg (BC Bears)
Joe Dolesau (BC Bears)
Sean White (BC Bears)
Conor Trainor (Ontario Blues)

Guys I want to see play against Portugal

Shane O'Leary (FC Grenoble)
Jack Fitzpatrick (Dublin University)

Not going to lie guys but I am very happy with the depth we have in some positions, it has actually made it a lot more difficult to chose a team. Lots of competition at Lock, Backrow, Centres and Flyhalf... now if only we could develop some more tight 3's and get a true flyhalf.... hopefully we cap O'Leary and he becomes our new flyhalf.

AGREED!!! I really have to think about picking a side now especially from #6-8 and #11-15 there are so many possible combinations. Even the bench now has impact players in those postions which is great, now someone like Pritch can get subbed out after 60 minutes without a huge comedown in effectiveness.

That bench is quite decent excluding possibly the props where depth is still way too limited. Can you imagine that lineup with our scrum from around 2003ish. If only we could travel back and abduct a few of those guys LOL.

Wow that's a tough team!
I think the georgian team will look something like this :

1. Davit Khinchagishvili (Racing-Metro 92)
2. Simon Maisuradze (Stade Bagnérais)
6. Vito Kolelishvili (Lyon OU)
8. Dimitri Basilaia (Edinburgh Rugby)
13. Davit Kacharava (Enisey-STM)
14. Irakli Machkhaneli (Armazi, capt)

16. Rezo Belkania (Lelo Tbilisi)
17. Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier HR)
18. Giorgi Chkhaidze (Tarbes PR)
19. Shalva Sutiashvili (RC Massy)
20. Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi)
21. Lasha Malaguradze (Stade Bagnérais)
23. Levan Chilachava (RC Toulon)

AGREED!!! I really have to think about picking a side now especially from #6-8 and #11-15 there are so many possible combinations. Even the bench now has impact players in those postions which is great, now someone like Pritch can get subbed out after 60 minutes without a huge comedown in effectiveness.

That bench is quite decent excluding possibly the props where depth is still way too limited. Can you imagine that lineup with our scrum from around 2003ish. If only we could travel back and abduct a few of those guys LOL.

Yah we actually had a really good pack back then come to think of it, well at least in the tight-five... Rod Snow, Kevin Tkachuk, Jon Thiel... those guys were some badass props, especially Rod Snow, he was kind of like Marshall in that he was an extremely mobile prop and was a great ball carrier but he was also a top-notch scrummager and great in tight as well. T-Bone was an animal and so was Jon Thiel, those dudes were all big, mean guys. Abrams and Lawson weren't bad hookers either so we were pretty good in the front-row. Our Second-Row was also very good with both Mike James and Jamie Cudmore, Al Charron, etc... I believe Cudmore was playing Flanker for us at the time and Charron and James were in the 2nd Row. We also had Colin Yukes who was quite a handy little flanker and Josh Jackson who was decent at the time as well. Too bad our backs were absolute kaka!

The great thing about now is we have so many choices and we have some half decent footballers in key positions. Sinclair and Ardron both need to play in the backrow and I believe they are absolute shoe-ins. It is crazy to think that we could leave a guy like Adam Kleeberger off the field but I remember saying a few months ago that he was going to find it hard to crack the lineup when he came back from injury. Also, we have some good youngsters coming up through the system and even though our ARC was less then stellar I liked how we used it as a development tourney and we got to see some new faces. I thought the boys put it together a lot better against Argentina as well and were unlucky to come away with a result.

Oh btw, I think Ardron and Hassler are going to be mainstays in European Rugby for awhile, I have heard that Ospreys have been very impressed with both them. Hassler is not afraid of contact and knows were the tryline is and Ardron is a quality footballer with a high work-rate and gets around the pitch.

Wow that's a tough team!

1. Davit Khinchagishvili (Racing-Metro 92)
2. Simon Maisuradze (Stade Bagnérais)
6. Vito Kolelishvili (Lyon OU)
8. Dimitri Basilaia (Edinburgh Rugby)
13. Davit Kacharava (Enisey-STM)
14. Irakli Machkhaneli (Armazi, capt)

I am really looking forward to this match, I hope I can catch a stream somewhere as it is such a class of styles. Georgian power upfront vs. Canadian speed and flair! Looking forward to a good old forwards vs backs match.

Yah we actually had a really good pack back then come to think of it, well at least in the tight-five... Rod Snow, Kevin Tkachuk, Jon Thiel... those guys were some badass props, especially Rod Snow, he was kind of like Marshall in that he was an extremely mobile prop and was a great ball carrier but he was also a top-notch scrummager and great in tight as well. T-Bone was an animal and so was Jon Thiel, those dudes were all big, mean guys. Abrams and Lawson weren't bad hookers either so we were pretty good in the front-row. Our Second-Row was also very good with both Mike James and Jamie Cudmore, Al Charron, etc... I believe Cudmore was playing Flanker for us at the time and Charron and James were in the 2nd Row. We also had Colin Yukes who was quite a handy little flanker and Josh Jackson who was decent at the time as well. Too bad our backs were absolute kaka!

The great thing about now is we have so many choices and we have some half decent footballers in key positions. Sinclair and Ardron both need to play in the backrow and I believe they are absolute shoe-ins. It is crazy to think that we could leave a guy like Adam Kleeberger off the field but I remember saying a few months ago that he was going to find it hard to crack the lineup when he came back from injury. Also, we have some good youngsters coming up through the system and even though our ARC was less then stellar I liked how we used it as a development tourney and we got to see some new faces. I thought the boys put it together a lot better against Argentina as well and were unlucky to come away with a result.

Oh btw, I think Ardron and Hassler are going to be mainstays in European Rugby for awhile, I have heard that Ospreys have been very impressed with both them. Hassler is not afraid of contact and knows were the tryline is and Ardron is a quality footballer with a high work-rate and gets around the pitch.

Yes Ospreys fans have been very positive, Hassler did have one bad game a few weeks ago but I think it was just kind of a one off poor performace he is regularly starting, and Ardron is getting a pile of last quarters in off the bench and has already handed out a couple of highlight reel hits.

Kleebs didn't look that great in the ARC, though he's just back from injury and did step up his intensity against the Jaguars. I'm intrigued to see how Crowley approaches this game in the half backs, will we see a more game managing FH like Braid? Will Mack's size hurt him against the bigger more physical Georgians? Weather could be a factor as well, I fancy the Lelos to have a bit of an advantage in wet conditions. Could be a big crowd out as well 30,000 plus potentially.

Would love for this to be on TSN or Sportsnet World but I haven't heard squat so far and the rights are held by the Georgians, with it being on early morning/late night in Canada dosen't cause me to think it will be televised here and it will once again be "every fan for himself". It's the game from the tour I'm most looking forward to, although this entire schedule is much more compelling than last years porrly planned November IRB Test series or whatever the heck they were calling it.

Georgian home games are always streamed live via the public broadcaster "1TV", it's available worldwide and has an English version.

http://1tv.ge/live?lang=en

Fantastic news....I actually do recall them making the 2010 game available officially for Canadian fans as wel,l but they forgot to tweak the permissions so Canadian fans had to refresh every 7 or 8 minutes LOL.

Wow that's a tough team!

I like the lineup but I think we will be in trouble after Mid second half, we don't really have any subs save zibzibadze who could improve the team.. so we HAVE to win first half against Canada with at least 10 points to have an even contest in the second half.

As for the streams I will do my best to look them up for you guys if you can't do it yourself.. i know exactly how it feels when you are excited for a game for months and 20 minutes before start realize you have no streams and go on Googling rampage in hopes of finding something :D :D .. Georgian live streams are mostly legal and free.

This is the lineup I'm expecting to see...

Position/Player/Club
2. Ray Barkwill (Ontario Blues)
4. Jebb Sinclair (London Irish)
8. Aaron Carpenter (Cornish Pirates)
11. Matt Evans (Cornish Pirates)

16. Doug Wooldridge (Bourg-en-Bresse/Ontario Blues)
18. Brett Beukeboom (Plymouth Albion)
19. Adam Kleeberger, (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears)
22. Conor Trainor, (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears)
23. Phil Mackenzie (Sale Sharks)

Personally I'm still waiting to see Mackenzie at 12. I'm not holding my breath that that will happen before I collect a pension but he has played there before and I have long thought he should be given a shot there. Scholz just hasn't been as dynamic as I think your 12 needs to be, he may get there but not yet. Hearn belongs to 7's. He excels there and he should focus his attention there. At best he is a mediocre stop gap measure in 15's. Hamilton seems to have been dropped based on the Maori line up so I expect that they will use Carpenter as cover and carry two loosies on the bench.

Latest posts