• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fiji push rugby World Cup funding drive

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Wow this goes to show the difference between "the haves" and "the have nots" in the international rugby sense ... I wonder if the IRB can help out, or if the political situation in Fiji will prevent that

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...y-world-cup-funding-drive-20101021-16uvd.html

Fiji is relying on a national lottery to raise 700,000 Fiji dollars ($A383,313) to fund its participation at next year's rugby World Cup, but tickets are proving a hard sell.

In a nation in which an estimated 25 per cent of the population lives below the poverty line, the tickets for 20 Fiji dollars ($A10.95) are almost unaffordable. The lottery has a first prize of 100,000 Fiji dollars ($A54,746).

After selling tickets in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the United States, the Fiji Rugby Union has delayed closure of the lottery and launched a local sales drive to reach its funding target, the Fiji Times reported.

Lottery director Kenneth Zinck told the newspaper ticket sellers were going from village to village to boost sales and called on patriotic fans to support the national team.

It breaks my heart when Graham Henry and Steve Tew come to my house, with a collection bowl and a hopeful tear running down their face.

Latest posts