• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First All Black training squad for 2013

Why? If you're after an experienced lock then you go for the experienced lock that is performing the best. Ali Williams is 32. He's not a long term option and his form hasn't warrented thinking he may make it to 2015 (if he does I'll go mental). I'd go with Thorn who provides as much experience, better work ethic and a better player. Who cares if hes near 40 if you just want him for a couple of games to provide experience - Ali Williams isn't a better player atm so shouldn't be selected.

Personally I'd go with Thrush over him - he's been extremely good the month or so.

Brad Thorn has retired from international rugby, and I can't see any reason for him to come back. His last match was winning the RWC final, what more could you want?

I'd very much bet that he'd have spoken with Hansen at some point (either before the season started or now) and removed himself from selection.

Brad Thorn is clearly closing down his carrier where Ali Williams clearly is committed to the next World Cup, without knowing for sure I get the feeling that Brad Thorn is going to retire at the end of this season.

If Ali Williams is in the world cup squad we won't have a hope of winning.

next tier 15, because I can lol

1, Toby Smith (I still think the potential is there for him to be an important All Black)
2, Liam Coultman (Matter of time I recon)
3, Tamiafuna (maybe the greatest asset at scrum time in the NZ game, 135kg and his scrums never go backwards)
4, Jeremy Thrush (can be an impressive player, maybe lacks true height bit late in his carrier for all black selection unless there is injurie)
5, Callum Retalick (Impressed me this season, just quietly I think he is a big factor in the blues improvements this year)
6, George Whitelock (never really lived up to his early carrier promising form but still a solid and now very experienced player)
7, Matt Todd (Unlucky, Ian Fosters influence may be the main reason Cane has been given the chance Todd Never got. If needed I don't think he would let NZ down)
8, Luke Whitelock (actually a pretty impressive player, wont be long till he takes over his big brothers role at the crusaders)
9, Willie Heinz (shown this year that he is the easily the equal of Elis. IMO he clears faster than Elis)
10, Chris Nokes (got 4 10's in the current AB squad, nokes is next in line)
11, George Moala (a few options here george is just one if them)
12, Ryna Crotty (maybe unlucky not to have at least got a chance so far)
13, Robbie Fruen (deadly powerful runner and potential game breaker. If it wasn't for question marks over his defense he would have been a sure selection by now)
14, Poki (ok running out of options here)
15, Gareth Anscombe (Stella season so far, currently struck down with injury. With Andre Taylor having a very average season maybe Robbie Robinson would be next?)

Yeah you're right Dom, he is.
But something tells me they wouldn't have picked him anyway.

The Abs selectors have wierd logic. They stated they only picked Sam Cane at openside because they have already had a good look at Matt Tood, Luke Braid, Tanerau Latimer etc already, and they are not oustide of the reckoning to be picked.

Well by that logic; why pick Ali Williams, Dan Carter, Hore etc.
My thoughts exactly. It looks like that 7 is the open position right now and they go for 1 openside. Read has locked the no.8 spot, and by the looks of it messam and vito are going to battle it out at 6, with the loser out of the 22 and luatua on the bench. so why have sheilds there? he adds nothing other than possibly battling it out with luatua for a 3rd sting 6 spot. (long term) really they should have had (imo) luke braid in there instead. the selectors really seem to have overlooked todd in the past. which leaves braid. And if he continues to keep up his workload around the pitch, that will create his x factor which even sam cane doesnt posses right now.

and parsons even with injury (off memory it isnt seriously bad.... isnt it?) and has really been on fire. him, mealamu and coles for the next world cup? or even elliot?

As for williams. if it wasn't for this season (bar the last game) i would be on everyone else's boat. but he has had a notably good season. probably his best. i think the all black selectors are just seeing if he can hold this new found form (bar last game) until the next world cup, which even myself being a big ali fan, isnt sure of. but wouldnt be suprised, and quietly happy that he does.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. It looks like that 7 is the open position right now and they go for 1 openside. Read has locked the no.8 spot, and by the looks of it messam and vito are going to battle it out at 6, with the loser out of the 22 and luatua on the bench. so why have sheilds there? he adds nothing other than possibly battling it out with luatua for a 3rd sting 6 spot. (long term) really they should have had (imo) luke braid in there instead. the selectors really seem to have overlooked todd in the past. which leaves braid. And if he continues to keep up his workload around the pitch, that will create his x factor which even sam cane doesnt posses right now.

and parsons even with injury (off memory it isnt seriously bad.... isnt it?) and has really been on fire. him, mealamu and coles for the next world cup? or even elliot?

As for williams. if it wasn't for this season (bar the last game) i would be on everyone else's boat. but he has had a notably good season. probably his best. i think the all black selectors are just seeing if he can hold this new found form (bar last game) until the next world cup, which even myself being a big ali fan, isnt sure of. but wouldnt be suprised, and quietly happy that he does.
Agree completely.

I think the reasoning behind the selections is quite clear.

They are happy with Cane at 7 and don't feel like they need to develop a third option before McCaw is back.

Read is obviously the #8 and IMO Vito's main role in the squad is as the #8 backup

Blindside is where it gets more interesting. Kaino gone, Thomson gone, Vito kind of surprisingly did not make the expected impact with the chances he was given at 6. Messam took his chances and did well but the selectors obviously want to explore options to make sure they firstly have the best man for the position and secondly to develop depth. Even as a Messam Supporter I still think he needs to keep improving at test level to hold his spot, show a bit more urgency and work rate, get involved a bit more. I think Shields and Luatua are there to fill the gap if Messam does not continue to develop.

Latest posts