• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France - Six Nations 2012

After Trinh-Duc, none of the French fly halves are particularly impressive

Lionel "Boot"xis is a good kicker but his endless drop goal attempts, and determination to whack the leather off the ball every time he gets it is infuriating, he was a key reason as to why Stade have been so bad these last few years, and Contepomi has saved that club, only called up because of the team he plays with

Jonathan Wisniewski doesn't use the Racing backs to much success, he's an okay club player, but just a club player

If David Skrela was young you may be able to give him time, but he is quite old now and his flakiness has never gone away, last season in the Top 14 final he nearly cost Toulouse the match, also had a poor match v Argentina in 2007, and who could forget his kicking the ball backwards incident, he struggles on the big occaision

Benjamin Boyet is hard to judge, would be easier to compare if he hadn't spent his career at lower clubs Bourgoin and Bayonne, he's now 32 so perhaps a bit late to call him up, although Yann Delaigue got a call up quite old

Julien Peyrelongue simply no, a negative fly half who can be dreadfully inconsistent, Benoit Baby is in the same category and they have both been dropped by Biarritz

Frédéric Michalak, not been the same player since 2007 but I've heard he's been decent for the Sharks and due to the lack of depth at fly half in France he could get a recall

so to be honest I think Morgan Parra is the second best French fly half, I would just bank on him being able to move should Trinh-Duc get injured

Couldn't they give Jean-Marc Doussain a go, or is he considered more of a scrum-half?

I'd rather see Parra playing fly-half than Skrela or Beauxis any day. Parra survived and defended well his channel in RWC and he proved himself in international level that he is capable of playing in that position.

Just wondering who will be the back three for France or is that still very open?

I'd say Malzieu and Poitrenaud are pretty much nailed on in my eyes. Malzieu especially has looked very dangereux in the HCup

I think Malzieu, Clerc and Médard. Poitrenaud will probably go to the bench as he can also play centre.

The thing is that probably PSA will have a 9 and a 10 on the bench, so you have to think of the players' alternative positions. Malzieu plays only 11, Clerc plays only 14 (sometimes 11, and in some french forums there's people proposing him as an emergency 9, but that ain't gonna happen sista), Médard plays 15 and 11 (sometimes 14), Poitrenaud plays 15 (and 13 in club, very, very well).
The other positions are Yachvili and Parra, who imo will be used exclusively as 9. TD is 10 and 12 only in an emergency. Mermoz is 12, can play 13, David the other way round. Rougerie and Fofana are 13 and 12 respectively, they both can play wing. Beauxis is a 10 who can cover 15.

So I think 9 and 10, all four of them will be in the 22.

11. Malzieu: didn't play with ML, has been the best finisher in the top 14 for years and the Italy game is a good chance. Against him, he plays only one position, defense is not so good and kicking neither.
12. Mermoz/Fofana. I think they will avoid playing any of these guys in a different position.
13. Rougerie (for sure if Fofana plays, if Mermoz is playing, it could be David)
14. Clerc: against him, is the fact that he has the same weaknesses as Malzieu, so PSA being rather conservative, we may not see them together.
15. Médard: The "chouchou" of french rugby, has lots of potential but hasn't plaed well after the WC, except for the last two games.

22. Poitrenaud. Being the only back three who can cover centre, plus he's too risky a player; I enjoy seeing him play for Toulouse, but I admit I get nervous when he plays 15 for France or in a knockout game.

I can see Poitrenaud playing 15 against Italy because it's our easiest game and it's a home game. PSA might want to see if he can relies on him or not before playing the likes of England, Wales or Ireland.

Latest posts