• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Ireland

I'm surprised by the Murphy drop.

What did he do to get dropped from the bench?
I would always have him there purely for his ability to make something from nothing.

I'm in an extremely negative place at the moment with the team. I've been all over the "We'll pull it out of the bag for the crunch games" but after looking at the French performance i'm not so confident.

Fair enough, they put 14 exhausted men to the sword, but French teams play on confidence, and that, even though it was a mismatch, will boost any flagging confidence no-end.

We're on the confidence slippery slope. They can say that it was one of the toughest tests they've had, and that we still won, blah blah....but getting booed of the pitch in your last game can't exactly have you skipping along happily. [/b]

The french team has confidence issues when playing the opening game of the world cup at home in front of 80,000 people who have been ewpecting this for 4 years, against a very tricky team. But these players are pros and they showed it yesterday. Now they are back on tracks and can start the world cup on Friday.

But yesterday's game was just not one, and I fear they might be too relieved and start the game against Ireland with too much self confidence, having watched the awful game of the Irish against Georgia. Everyone knows this was not Ireland playing, just as everyone reckons it was not France against Argentina.

Whatever happens on Friday, I hope Ireland will beat Argentina because their supporters are a lot more funny and drink lots of beers.

YES!! Stringer is finally gone. I actually would have preferred to see Duffy start ahead of Trimble who was aggressively pedestrian against Namibia. Dropping Murphy is a very strange call, I can understand him not being picked at fullback due to his bouts of 46A tackling but not having him on the wing or the bench is strange and contrary to most EOS principles.

www.irishrugby.com

not-so-steady eddie explains himself
ON PICKING EOIN REDDAN AT SCRUM HALF AHEAD OF PETER STRINGER AND ISAAC BOSS:

"It was a tough one because Peter (Stringer) has been a stalwart of the team. But his form lately hasn't been the best, he hasn't been on top of his game. He's been struggling a wee bit. Eoin (Reddan) came straight into the side based on the type of game he's capable of playing. His form was good at the tail end of last season for Wasps. He fits the bill for this particular match (against France).

"We know what Peter brings to the party and he does it very well when he's on top of his game but to be fair he hasn't been on top of his game. He hasn't been the old Peter Stringer. I know he'll bounce back from this. It's a tough call for a big game like this. But like every player he accepted that getting dropped comes with the territory. It's often the making of a player.

"I know he'll bounce back from this. He's been the heartbeat of the side many times before and he will be again. He knows better than anybody that he wasn't on top of his game.

"Isaac (Boss) is a different style of player and we've used him as an impact player. He can also cover a number of positions and has performed to a high level. Having an extra dimension to his game does help. It's a tough call on Isaac because he's a good squad player."

ON GAVIN DUFFY COMING IN FOR GEORDAN MURPHY ON THE BENCH:

"Gavin Duffy comes in to cover the back three, a job usually done by Geordan (Murphy). But Geordan's last few games against France haven't been a happy hunting ground. They have not been good days. That's my decision and I stand over that. Gavin can also cover the centre so this bench gives me more options."

ON ANDREW TRIMBLE REPLACING DENIS HICKIE ON THE LEFT WING:

"I'm happy to have Andrew (Trimble) in. I wasn't unhappy with Denis' form but when it comes to a choice between two players you have to give the nod to one of them. Andrew has got it this time because he played well in the first game (against Namibia). I'm not unhappy with Denis, I just wanted Andrew in there."

ON JERRY FLANNERY STARTING AT HOOKER:

"Jerry (Flannery) has been neck and neck with Rory Best for the last while. Rory was just holding him out. But there is no drama about Jerry coming in - he brings a robustness to the game that you want at hooker. He's been chomping at the bit to get back into the side and this a big one for him."

ON FRANCE'S 87-10 WIN OVER NAMIBIA LAST NIGHT:

"France did well so score many points. They were a bit shaky at the start but once they got into a rhythm they were very good. Namibia, to be fair, fought as much as they could but they were down to 14 men.

"Once France got going, it was brilliant ball in hand stuff. They were very aggressive and quick. That performance will have put them in a good frame of mind for Friday. France will be happier after their performance so that might be a bad thing for us, it might be a good thing.

"At the moment we need to concentrate on our own game and not get hung up on France. We have to get on with it - I'm not going to worry about (Bernard) Laporte's team selection."

ON HOW IMPORTANT FRIDAY'S GAME IS:

"It's a big week, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it's my biggest week (as coach). Once France had lost to Argentina it was always going to be a pivotal match in the group. What's been disappointing for us is we haven't been in form before the game. The way we have been playing I understand why this could be described as a crisis.

"We know our standard has to go way up. We know what is needed to compete at this level. We have competed well at this level in the past. But our first two performances in the tournament, we were nowhere near that. We know that's the benchmark we must reach. There's no hiding from that.

"We know if we play poorly we'll get well beaten. And I know what it's like to play badly in Paris. We know what the challenge is this week.

"France have always been difficult to beat. We don't beat them very often and our record in general against them is poor. It's back down to performance and we know that if we reach a certain level of perormance we can win the game."

ON THE USE OF THE REPLACEMENTS BENCH:

"We haven't been able to bring players on. The sitaution against Georgia was we were on our gainline for the last 10 minutes so bringing a fresh player in who was not up to speed with the game was not a risk we were willing to take. The locks weren't flagging anyway. Against Namibia, we looked like a team that needed more games. We wanted to give fellas time on the pitch."

ON IF COMPLACENCY HAS BEEN AN ISSUE FOR THE SQUAD SO FAR:

"We've looked at the complacency issue because it is a reasonable thing to think when you're playing below par like we are. To be fair to the players this a huge tournament. There's no holding back. No one is taking anything for granted so I don't think complacency is an issue."

YES!! Stringer is finally gone. I actually would have preferred to see Duffy start ahead of Trimble who was aggressively pedestrian against Namibia. Dropping Murphy is a very strange call, I can understand him not being picked at fullback due to his bouts of 46A tackling but not having him on the wing or the bench is strange and contrary to most EOS principles. [/b]

Quite possibly one of the best decisions O'Sullivan has made in the whole world. Ever. In all of time. Stringer never did quite get back to his best after failing so miserably against Dwayne Peel in 2005. Also, he is getting on a bit and the question of who was going to come after Stringer simply hasn't been addressed properly. I wonder what Munster will do when he's gone.

hy,

This match will be tight... but I think that french team is better in this RWC.
So...

I wonder what Munster will do when he's gone.
[/b]

They've already lined up another distinctly average player with no running game by the name of Tómas O Leary while they will continue to reject players who will go on to be reasonably successful in the GP.

Despite the brilliant news re: Stringer I still think Ireland will lose this game, especially seeing as in the back of their minds they know that they still have the chance to go through by beating Argentina while France are do-or-die.

Also Pelous is out injured.

Last-chance saloon for both teams really. If France lose, they`re out. And if Ireland lose, well not getting the bonus point in their last game might just come back to bite them in the backside.

Look, the Irish are much better than what they`ve shown in their warmups, and in their matches at this RWC to date. They had a couple of clinical wins over both SA and Aus in Nov last year, on consecutive weekends. Plus they had a very convincing win over Eng during the 6 nations. A very handy team, with some world-class matchwinners in Leamy, O`Driscoll, D`Arcy and O`Connell doesn`t become shite overnight, and I`m fully expecting them to step up to the challenge.

But I`m still expecting France to get the win, by about 5 points. The reasoning is simple- as good a team as Ireland potentially are, they`ve struggled to put it together in the really big games that matter. The 2005 6-nations decider against Wales comes to mind immediately- with the triple crown, the grand slam and the six nations ***le on the line, Ireland were heavily favoured, but Wales ran them off their feet. Same thing in this year`s six nations- once again Ireland were heavily favoured to take out the ***le, only to lose to France. Plus the French will be playing in front of a passionate home crowd, and will be full of confidence after their rout of Namibia.

Look, the Irish are much better than what they`ve shown in their warmups, and in their matches at this RWC to date. They had a couple of clinical wins over both SA and Aus in Nov last year, on consecutive weekends. Plus they had a very convincing win over Eng during the 6 nations. A very handy team, with some world-class matchwinners in Leamy, O`Driscoll, D`Arcy and O`Connell doesn`t become shite overnight, and I`m fully expecting them to step up to the challenge.
[/b]

But in that Six Nations, you've left out two complete duds against Scotland and Wales. I think we're not in doubt as to the awesome potential of Ireland, considering that Ireland put on a similar score on Italy in their Six Nations match this year that the All Blacks did in their World Cup group shows that they have the sheer pace and talent to match anyone on their day. But the problem simply is consistency. But, then again, there have only been two consistent teams in the last four years to be honest.

New Zealand, who have consistently successful and England who have been consistently crap. No other team can claim to have had such records on either the positive or negative side of things. Most top ten teams, Wales, Ireland, Australia, South Africa and France have had estatic highs and gut wrenching lows, all within the space of 12 months so when you look at the scope of things, its never been harder to predict how a game will go when you have two inconsistent sides playing each other, like say, France and Ireland!

Great to see Reddan there, he is a big match player for Wasps (see Hcup final) and I think, generally speedier than stringer, something the Irish are missing.

What a game. I don´t think it will be a boring tactic match. Both teams will have to show what they have. Ireland didn ´t do it yet and France did it against the weaker team of the pool (with 14 players, by the way).

Regarding Reddan, I think that´s what Ireland needs, young players with hunger for glory to mix with their talents. Who´s Hickie´s replacement?? My God that guy can´t play, he never could. Sorry Irish supporters, is just my opinion.
Also Irish scrum must get better. But remember that the ones with pressure here are France, as Ireland won their 2 matches. It is a must win match for the french, if not , the end of the world.

I'm hugely looking forward to this game.
It's going to be massive and I am a huge fan of the French backs. They are an absolute joy to watch.

9. Ellisalde
10. Michelak
11. Heymans
12. Traille
13. Jauzion
14. Clerc
15. Poitrenau

That's the back line i'd like to see out there.

It's going to be massive and I am a huge fan of the French backs. They are an absolute joy to watch.

9. Ellisalde
10. Michelak
11. Heymans
12. Traille
13. Jauzion
14. Clerc
15. Poitrenau

[/b]

Or just;

1. Chabal...

<div class='quotemain'> Given that Ireland have never beaten a top side away from home under Eddie O'Sullivan isn't exactly filling me with confidence either. [/b]

don't be so negative ... we are more in the **** than you. this is THE decisiv match for us ... not for you ...
[/b][/quote]

:mellow: I can't believe this chat . It's amazing what Pumas did... and if we pass the zone in the 1st place, i believe we could play the semi finals... :)

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Given that Ireland have never beaten a top side away from home under Eddie O'Sullivan isn't exactly filling me with confidence either. [/b]

don't be so negative ... we are more in the **** than you. this is THE decisiv match for us ... not for you ...
[/b][/quote]

:mellow: I can't believe this chat . It's amazing what Pumas did... and if we pass the zone in the 1st place, i believe we could play the semi finals... :)
[/b][/quote]

The new tournament of The Pumas "The One Nation", invite other nations to join!!. IRB rules!!! ... we hope to go far in the RWC007, because after this :toss: snif...

9. Ellisalde
10. Michelak
11. Heymans
12. Traille
13. Jauzion
14. Clerc
15. Poitrenau

[/b]

i too. i hope laporte won't put this f*****g rougerie instead of clerc. clerc has proved that we could rely on him (croke park :p ) whereas rougerie has never done anything.

marty is also a good player but not as traille and jauzion for me.

heymans will be better on the wing than FB.

but mainly for this match I DON'T WANT REMY MARTIN !!!

I hope Laporte goes with:

1 Milloud
2 Ibanez
3 De Villiers
4 Pelous
5 Thion
6 Betsen
7 Bonnaire
8 Chabal

9 Ellisalde

10 Michalak
11 Heymans
12 Traille
13 Jauzion
14 Clerc
15 Poitrenaued

I just really hope Martin, Rougerie or Dominici are not starting. The above team is clearly the best France has to offer at the moment.

Pelous is injured and Laporte don't even consider Chabal as n8 but as second row (and he's going to start in Pelous's place), that means he's behind Vermeulen, Harinordoquy and even Bonnaire.

Le XV de France:

Poitrenaud ; Clerc, Marty, Traille, Heymans ; (o) Michalak, (m) Elissalde ; Dusautoir, Bonnaire, Betsen ; Thion, Chabal ; De Villiers, Ibanez (cap.), Milloud.

Remplaçants : Szarzewski, Poux, Nallet, Nyanga, Beauxis, Jauzion, Rougerie

Near from what wanted Wyrarapy Cullen !