• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Jenkins Sacked

Phil Davies is an absolute moron.
We've got to be frank but there are no Welsh coaches out there with ability to make us a better team. We had one and he was off the back of a very successful Steve Hansen team which got the grand slam ball rolling in the first place.
We have to - like Pres said - go to the SH.
End of.

Phil Davies is an absolute moron.
We've got to be frank but there are no Welsh coaches out there with ability to make us a better team. We had one and he was off the back of a very successful Steve Hansen team which got the grand slam ball rolling in the first place.
We have to - like Pres said - go to the SH.
End of.
[/b]

Agree completly, the only Welsh coach that could coach Wales well would be Phil Davies, but not at this current point in time. It will be best for a SH coach to come in and a Welsh Coach should come in and watch and learn, this would mean that in future years that a Welsh coach could step up to the managing a the Welsh side!

damn u Cymro and ur little bug sig pic! lol

any hu, shux this feels like something NZ'ers would do aye lol poor guy!

I'd like to see Kirwan in, since he's done wonders with both Italy and Japan and has a good head for tactics. Phil Davies - no way, we really don't need another mediocre Scarlets man on the job. I don't want Dai Young in either (even if I've heard he'll be going to South Africa with the Lions as Forwards Coach) since, yes he's not a bad coach, but just not international standard. And unlike Cardiff, they won't stick by him through thick and thin. If there is one Welsh coach that I'd like to see with the International job, it's Lyn Jones. With two Magners League ***les to his name, and some decent showings (not brilliant - but decent) in the Heineken, with the Ospreys, he could be a very good prospect. But at the moment, I can't see him leaving the Ospreys. More for his dedication to the region than the money (though I'm sure he doesn't complain about that)

As an O's fan Lyn Jones is a complete joke in my eyes.
I swear the guy doesn't know what he's doing half the time! Remember this is the man that didn't think Hook was ready for Regional rugby...he had to play for Wales before playing for Ospreys!

After watching Scrum V earlier on (you can stream the whole episode online) it sounds really depressing the state of the professionalism in Wales at the moment. It's not just the Welsh side, it's the grass roots, school level and Amateur level too that is in appalling state.

Every pundit on the show said that the WRU needs to go. They said that the WRU are not letting the coaches do as they want & a hint of players not being 100% happy with the last few coaches. Very interesting to watch, but as Welsh fans it doesn't paint a very bright future for us, unless drastic changes are made.

I just finished watching that scrumV and it was - for once - a very productive programme.
It sounded like something the big wigs at the WRU could learn from.
It certainly looks like it will be a glum near future for Wales, but that's got to be something we're willing to accept if we're gonna get better.
We HAVE TO start from scratch, things can't carry on the way they are. We as fans can't give a solution; whether regional rugby is working or not; whether our attitude to the sport is correct, so this is where an implicit trust comes into your country and the people who lead your team.
I doubt there is anyone in Wales right now that would shrug of the teaming of Henry/Hansen with a carte blanche coming to help us out - and we need to know that the idiots at the top, the guys with the money will make a decision and give Welsh rugby what it needs to finally succeed.

I mean, we need to look at it, we need to see whether we are any good at this sport anymore.
We've been living in the past, we still live on the glory of the days when we were the team who had LOADS of players who were undoubtedly the best of their positions in the world. That was the 70's - that has to be left behind.

Evidently, as we start from the beginning again it means things are going to be awful for us for some time to come, hell things may go a little worse for us, but if that's what it takes to get us up into the top nations of the world then that's what we should do.
Right now, we as Welshmen/women and fans must accept one thing:

We are on the brink of being regarded as a 2nd tier nation.

They say that the work put in by good coaches continues for another two years after they are gone and it takes time for change. Well, I'll also add this:

Wales we're good from two years after Henry started and two years after Hansen left. Wake up and get a foreign coach, as Welsh ones have delivered poor eras.

They say that the work put in by good coaches continues for another two years after they are gone and it takes time for change. Well, I'll also add this:

Wales we're good from two years after Henry started and two years after Hansen left. Wake up and get a foreign coach, as Welsh ones have delivered poor eras. [/b]

Who are you telling this to exactly?
Because this is all old news to welsh fans...

<div class='quotemain'> They say that the work put in by good coaches continues for another two years after they are gone and it takes time for change. Well, I'll also add this:

Wales we're good from two years after Henry started and two years after Hansen left. Wake up and get a foreign coach, as Welsh ones have delivered poor eras. [/b]

Who are you telling this to exactly?
Because this is all old news to welsh fans...
[/b][/quote]

Yep Wales current coaches in regions are good but they are not good enough to take Wales at current, that has allready been stated by the nation and the press, anyone who post saying that a Welsh coach is the best way forwar needs their head battered!

Majority of Welsh fans agree that Henry and Hansen developed the side of 2005 and with the help of Ruddock and Johnson! But for Wales to develop further and regain some pride and some decent status then they need to get a forgein coach, Scott Johnson needs to comeback as skills coach and then either Gatlan, Deans, Mallet, Henry to become head coach then Wales WILL regain some pride in their rugby and who knows in 4 years time could Wales go into the QF and beyond in the World Cup?

Henry created a good squad but his policy of selection on form broke down when he lost control of the dressing room. Because at that time there wasn't much stregnth in depth in Wales, he had nowhere to go and had nobody else to select if he dropped the troublemakers.

Hansen had a better crack at it and was much more popular with the team than Graham "thou shalt not have fun" Henry ever was, he just didn't get the results and his tactics didn't quite fit in well with how the Welsh play.

The real difference was made by Dave Moffett managing things from on high at the WRU providing stability and a platform to perform and develop young talent and Mike Ruddock whose pragmatism was spot on. Enough of the 'Welsh way' to keep the boys interested, but also mindful that to actually pull off the 'Welsh way', Wales would need to get into the oppositions half, take penalties to keep the scoreboard ticking over, etc.

Against England in 2005, if that had been any other Welsh coach other than Ruddock, Henson wouldn't have been given a crack at that long range kick, they would have taken a quick tap and had run for it. It was that intelligence on when to run and when to just shut up and take the points that won Wales the grand slam in 2005.

Nobody likes to admit any of this of course but Dave Moffett and Mike Ruddock were the best managerial dynamic duo Wales ever had. And look how they were hounded out. At times, Wales can be its very own worst enemy.

Don't panic guys, you don't need Scott Johnson back, you do not need someone who undermines the authority of the head coach like Scott Johnson did with Mike Ruddock. All you need is a pragmatic coach who can also crack the whip if need be...you also need one who has the balls to drop guys like Alfie if he gets too big for his boots (again).

i do think we need a kiwi coach!! i just think they have much different perspective to rugby than the welsh. A much more realistic and pragmatic approach to things. we need to go south and find a professional set-up that is going to have the freedom to change the face of rugby in wales. o0o nd while im on my soap box, why the f*** have we arranged a match with the boks in november. thats just going to f***ing humiliate us all the ******* more. if they think they can charge 50 quid a ticket for that they can f*** themselves, and i aint missed a welsh home game in three years.

i do think we need a kiwi coach!! i just think they have much different perspective to rugby than the welsh. A much more realistic and pragmatic approach to things. we need to go south and find a professional set-up that is going to have the freedom to change the face of rugby in wales. o0o nd while im on my soap box, why the f*** have we arranged a match with the boks in november. thats just going to f***ing humiliate us all the ******* more. if they think they can charge 50 quid a ticket for that they can f*** themselves, and i aint missed a welsh home game in three years. [/b]

Despite everything I WILL be at the Millenium Staduim cheering on Wales come win, lose or draw its a victory for me! As I beleive the fans should turn out in its numbers to show their support for the new generation of rugby that Wales is about to embark upon!

Agreed.I don't think there's on Welshie out there who would give up on Wales now.
Humiliating exit from the world cup? Things will not get worse. They may not get better any time soon, but this is yet another adventure the welsh will have to ride on.
If the WRU are brave enough to do what's necessary, no matters what happen in the short term as long as it means it'll improve us in the long term, then i look forward to it.
From the sounds of things Pickering and co. are looking to 2011...no sooner no later, so will we see a wooden spoon in the next few years? Who cares, if that means we get to see a semi final in 4 years i'll be satisfied, because anything can happen in semi finals.

Wales' strongest asset is it's passionate and loyal fans, no matter what's happening, you Welsh people still believe. That's an admirable quality in times like this.

I will go one step further and say that coaches don't need to have a certain amount of the 'Welsh Way' as stated above. Players will always have that anyway.

Rugby is a game of technique, strength and speed. Passionate cultural style comes last. I'm not saying it has no importance, but relying on ambiguous qualities like the 'Welsh Way' is overly mythical.

Whether it's Anton Oliver or Rodney So'oialo with the ball in hand for New Zealand, Dan Carter, Nick Evans or Luke McAllister it doesn't matter what your culture is. That's in the haka and the players individual lives.

What matters, is if your a lock, prop, first-five or whatever and doing your job.

Culture doesn't take the field and win on it's own. It's doing it's job in the background. In team unity, spirit and shared experience.

I often wonder if many of the home unions get caught up a bit in distinguishing themselves rather than realising that Rugby skills, techniques, patterns and planning are the universal language they must learn.

I often wonder if many of the home unions get caught up a bit in distinguishing themselves rather than realising that Rugby skills, techniques, patterns and planning are the universal language they must learn. [/b]

Not really, and definitely not in the case of England and Scotland, who have been playing the same style of rugby since the beginning of time.

A little update, Nigel Davies is taking over as Caretaker coach for the November test against the Springboks. The current coaches will still be in charge for the SA also.

Sorry, does anyone see the point of this "test" against SA in November?
I thought coz of hte RWC there were no Autumn internationals.

No its going to be an embarrassment and once again we shall plunge into the darkness once again!

Latest posts