• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gavin Henson

To be honest any team would want someone who could kick a penalty from that far out to win a game, oh wait some teams do. Lets be hypocritcial and say he is only good for his 'boot'.

BM

Henson is better than most of you people give him credit for. You all know your rugby but you don't want to look past the fake tan and hair and whatnot. Incidentally he kicked a 50 metre penalty to win the match for the Ospereys today. [/b]

have a positive rep my friend. that is the best thing ive heared anyone post on here this week. You are very right though, people find it hard to see hensons talent as they see him as a prima donna celebrity. it is a shame because hes is a fantastic player. just look at his stats, his kicking stats, his scoring record, his tackled percentage, his passing percentage and his ability to keep cool under pressure. Henson is a solid player and is a fundamental player in the welsh side. but he is not yet wc, and cant be mentioned in the same breath as dan carter. but he still has time to develop, and this season have been a tough one for him, but hopefully he'll come out next season a far better player.

To be honest any team would want someone who could kick a penalty from that far out to win a game, oh wait some teams do. Lets be hypocritcial and say he is only good for his 'boot'.

BM [/b]

im guessing youre comment is in reference to the rest of the world slating england in 2003 for relying on a boot. wilkinson is a great player and in my opinion is the best fh england have ever had. The fact that england were called the boot, was that they won alot of games by kicking their goals rather than scoring tries. a notable example was wales vs england 2003 - wales outscored england 3 tries to one, but wilkinson was lethal with the boot. i agree, i think it was unfair to call wilkinson a boot, because he is so much more than that, but so is henson

he is already in the wall of shame...with the rest of those british/irish lion bums that came here last year and got the spanking that left them a darker shade of their jerseys colour

hes an allrite player...media hypes him up too much tho...he is biggot and his attitude aint the norm that u'd expect from top class rugby players..if thats really him and the image he wants to portray then thats ok

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 8 2006, 11:11 PM
his tackled percentage, his passing percentage and his ability to keep cool under pressure.
Henson can't tackle for ****. Anyone running in a straight line at him, fine he drag them down because he's a strong guy. Any centre with guile who runs angles against him would rip him to pieces.

His passing is poor, not in technique, but in timing. In general he seems to crab across the field before trying to fire out a pass, cutting down the space for everyone outside him.

Cool head? He certainly seemed very composed during the match against Ireland in this years 6N...

Henson's inclusion in the hall of shame is virtually solely down to his "performances" off the field.

He has pretty much drawn a bullseye on his chest for the media to take pop shots at.

If he was a "world class" player, and even Loratadine has admitted that he isn't, then maybe he would be able to get away with his actions off-the-field.

To me he acts like he is a superstar yet is unable to back this up on the field. And until he does he will forever be walking around the hall of shame.

^^great point

its cool tho..rugbys best superstars..no matter how much money they make or how many fans they have or how much merit they deserve...they are still the most humble sportsmen in the world

gavins like the complete opposite :lol:

Henson is very 'skilled' exaggerated player if you get what I mean, he owns at regional level but is almost 'too' sort of flaky at international level. Maybe he just needs a few more games under his belt to get a steady game.

No doubt there is potential, but that will only get him so far.

BM

To be fair, I can remember his performance against SA in 2004, which was great. However, I remember his chip vs Italy in 2005, his kicking and play in 2006 and his 2nd Test against NZ for the Lions.

But he is on here based on his personality and actions more than anythiny.

Henson is too big headed, if he kept quiet & avoided Charlotte Church over the past year or so, he would be still playing at his best.

Personally for me, his skills are just above average (except maybe his kicking distance) and he's nothing special. He could be a good player, if he kept his head down and stopped believing himself to be the best player ever.

To be honest, there is one word that sums him up: fud.

i believe we have yet to see the best of his skills..gameplay wise

once he matures(coz he is still a youngster) and he sees his sport from a grown experienced mans head he will see the game better and maybe play his best rugby..

there is alot of potential for him..hes just too anxious

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 9 2006, 08:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Apr 8 2006, 11:11 PM
his tackled percentage, his passing percentage and his ability to keep cool under pressure.
Henson can't tackle for ****. Anyone running in a straight line at him, fine he drag them down because he's a strong guy. Any centre with guile who runs angles against him would rip him to pieces.

His passing is poor, not in technique, but in timing. In general he seems to crab across the field before trying to fire out a pass, cutting down the space for everyone outside him.
[/b]
It's fine and well saying a certain kind of centre would rip him to pieces but give at least one example of when this ahs actually ever happened? When have you ever seen someone, playing oppostie Henson, consistently go around him and beat him one on one?

His passing is good, he sets up a huge amount of tries, and he's a better runner than most give him credit for.

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 8 2006, 11:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Henson is better than most of you people give him credit for. You all know your rugby but you don't want to look past the fake tan and hair and whatnot. Incidentally he kicked a 50 metre penalty to win the match for the Ospereys today.

have a positive rep my friend. that is the best thing ive heared anyone post on here this week. You are very right though, people find it hard to see hensons talent as they see him as a prima donna celebrity. it is a shame because hes is a fantastic player. just look at his stats, his kicking stats, his scoring record, his tackled percentage, his passing percentage and his ability to keep cool under pressure. Henson is a solid player and is a fundamental player in the welsh side. but he is not yet wc, and cant be mentioned in the same breath as dan carter. but he still has time to develop, and this season have been a tough one for him, but hopefully he'll come out next season a far better player. [/b][/quote]
He can kick and makes the occasional tackle, misses plenty as well though, Trimble made him look like an arse in the 6N. He runs like a crab and his passing is ordinary. He's a good player but not fantastic, he needs to make massive improvements before he can be classed as a fantastic player. And all that without a reference to his life off the pitch.

I'll never forget that comment made by Sue Barker on the sports personality award, so true.

I would say get lost for Charlotte Church, but that is for welsh fans to worry about. He should go with Katherine Jenkins, she aint gonna shout her mouth off at a nightclub.

BM

Like it or not he is doing good for the game because kids all over the UK and Ireland want to go and play rugby so they can be like Gavin Henson because he looks like the man, acts like the man, and, often, plays like the man. Kids see this and want to emulate him. So for this reason he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Shame.

Yeah, he is definitely getting exposure for the game. He is the only rugby player 'most' women know about. I asked a few girls at my school and they could only Mention Henson. One said Wilkinson but he is out of the picture now.

Whether we like it or not, he is in the 'spotlight' and this will bring alot of baggage to his game.

BM

It's understood that 96.8% of everybody with ten fingers agree that he has one of the worst and most stuckup personalities in professional rugby then?

That is what he is being nominated for, and that is the reason he will be given should he be staple to the Wall of Shame.

Latest posts