• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

German Rugby

Sorry I missed this game, had the chance for some free tickets but had to work instead :(.

Not of interest to anyone but the team I play for (Paderborn) blitzed Dortmund 56-0. First game in Germany, was good fun.

I finally watched the match, well done by Germany!

Continuing an old thread in a new place:

Honestly, I don't think posing a threat to Romania and Russia is the goal for the time being. Making sure we don't get relegated and continuous progress seems to be more realistic for now. And we should try to attract more people to the games. TV coverage is great, but if not many people turn up, it doesn't look all that great any more. At least some of the stadiums we use nowadays are actually decent.

Well sure, it's too early to talk about posing a consistent or serious threat to them, but just for this coming season, RWC qualification is a big jackpot to play for - even if the odds are very long.

In terms of avoiding relegation, yes it needs to be a goal but it isn't nearly as tenuous as it was last year.

1: That continuous progress *has* been happening. You wouldn't know it from HRK's results in Europe, but they haven't been performing in the Bundesliga for the last 2 years either, so it's actually no reflection on the national side
2: There is no 4 table point deficit to make up, as there was in 2016 (left over from a poor 2015)
3: Germany again has home games against both the other lower ranked sides
4: Belgium is not any more of a threat than Portugal. Belgium is way ahead in the WR rankings atm, but that doesn't tell us anything meaningful. A promoted team will always be above their normal ranking, and a relegated team will always be below it
5: There's no automatic relegation any more, the loser has a further opportunity to defend their place in a play-off​

Total Rugby had an interesting perspective on the low turnout:
Der Weg der deutschen Equipe in größere Stadien setzt sich fort. Nach den beiden Erfolgen in Hannover und Köln im Frühjahr könnte man die 3.500 Zuschauer durchaus als Enttäuschung werten. Doch die Stimmung vor Ort war hervorragend und etliche Spieler erwähnten im Nachgang, wie sehr sie das anfeuernde Publikum nach vorne gepeitscht habe.

Aber warum kamen nicht mehr Zuschauer in dass schmucke und kürzlich komplett sanierte Stadion, das verkehrsgünstig an Autobahn und U-Bahn gelegen ist? Die kurzfristige Ankündigung wird sicherlich dazu beigetragen haben, da viele auswärtige Fans keinen Trip mehr nach Frankfurt organisieren wollten oder konnten. Der HRK bemängelte zudem auf seiner Facebook-Seite, dass viel zu wenige Rugby-Fans aus dem nur 90 km entfernten Heidelberg angereist seien. Unbestritten ist, dass die vielen Parallel-Ansetzungen alles andere als hilfreich waren. Warum muss die Frauen-Bundesliga einen ihrer nur fünf Vorrundenspieltage an diesem Tag abhalten? Trotz vieler Verlegungen wurden immer noch 12 Partien in den unteren Klassen abgehalten und die Tatsache, dass eigentlich noch die beiden Pokalwettbewerbe am Spieltag ausgetragen werden sollten und nur kurzfristig verlegt wurden, hat die Planungen für viele Fans, die selbst aktiv sind, unnötig erschwert.

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely see that progress has been made, we just need to keep it up. The new system really should help us.

I read that part on Total Rugby, but how many newbies will know that? I hope the next televised game will have a better attendance.

I'm trying to get to two of the 6NB games coming up, but DRV's lack of organization (or is it just communication?) isn't helping...

Does anyone have any idea where the home games vs Romania and Spain will be?
Even if it's just a 'probably' or 'maybe' or speculation.

I have flights to book, and I don't even know which end of the country the games will be :( I don't really want to leave a massive gap in my itinerary just in case they have the game in say Flensburg and I'm in the wrong place.
(One of the flights is 17h30m long! Also no I'm not *that* dedicated, I just happen to be in Europe around that time :p )

I'm trying to get to two of the 6NB games coming up, but DRV's lack of organization (or is it just communication?) isn't helping...

Does anyone have any idea where the home games vs Romania and Spain will be?
Even if it's just a 'probably' or 'maybe' or speculation.

I have flights to book, and I don't even know which end of the country the games will be :( I don't really want to leave a massive gap in my itinerary just in case they have the game in say Flensburg and I'm in the wrong place.
(One of the flights is 17h30m long! Also no I'm not *that* dedicated, I just happen to be in Europe around that time :p )

It's a little bit unfair, as they are very active on Facebook and Twitter, eg.
You don't have to have an account to read those entries.
As far as I know, the venues have not been set yet.
But my bets would be on Heidelberg and Hannover, again...

Ah yes, thanks for that lead.

It seems the Spain game in March has been organised in Cologne. That's helpful.

No word on the Romania game yet, still looking.

Uruguay defeats Canada, sending them back up the rankings ahead of Germany and Spain.

Germany's back in the familiar 23rd place now. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted, after beating Romania being 21st for an hour, then 22nd for a week.

The silver lining is that, since Canada only has Brazil left (0.53 points available) and Uruguay only has Chile (no points available), In the next 2 weeks there's an opportunity to break into the top 20.

I can't quite figure out whether it would be sufficient to beat Belgium by 15+ and Spain by 1-14 (unlikely, but it's within a rounding error of 61.80 ranking points each), or whether Germany needs a 15 point margin over Spain (probably). Unless Romania leave Russia in the dust, in which case Germany just need to win the next 2 games and that will be enough to take the 20th spot. (With Russia dropping out of the top 20 instead of Canada).

Last edited:
Brasil did it again!!
As last year against USA, today they beat Canada in the last minutes of the match.
Congrats!

Well that throws a spanner in the works... That means Germany is already ahead of Canada. (and back up to 22nd) The only thing that can stop us now (other than a loss or draw to either Belgium or Spain) is if Spain beat Georgia tomorrow.

The stage is nearly set. This is starting to get dramatic.

Well that throws a spanner in the works... That means Germany is already ahead of Canada. (and back up to 22nd) The only thing that can stop us now (other than a loss or draw to either Belgium or Spain) is if Spain beat Georgia tomorrow.

The stage is nearly set. This is starting to get dramatic.

What an achievement it would be for Germany to have an extended period in the top 20. I'm rooting for them all the way!

Wow, what a nail-biter that Kenya test was!

Very stark advantages for Germany in the set pieces and for Kenya in open space, and the score so close the whole game.

That finish was so unlikely too. Right down to the wire.

Wow, what a nail-biter that Kenya test was!

Very stark advantages for Germany in the set pieces and for Kenya in open space, and the score so close the whole game.

That finish was so unlikely too. Right down to the wire.
Cracking result for Germany, both sides are certainly on the up. What was your analysis on the match?

Hosting Brazil and USA certainly good for Germany, but I am not convinced with the utility of a test vs South Korea, they were defeated by a Japanese second string. But hey, probably they deserve a chance.

I'm a little underwhelmed by those fixtures. I am glad Korea are getting exposure (although Belgium or Portugal might have been better for them), but Brazil again?

Hard to think what touring side would be a good option for Germany at this stage though. US is probably the best fit I guess.

It is somehow confusing to see sides as Brazil or South Korea getting exposure regularly vs higher ranked sides and occasion to travel compared with what happened to others...

Portugal and Belgium would have been a better option, I'm sure but ways of WR seems tangled. Looking at the bright side, Germany have a good chances to preserve its ranking and I think they'll give a good game to Eagles.

Latest posts