• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GOAT - The eternal debate

I'll give you a Flyers pass but reality is apart from goals scored there isn't anything Ovetchkin beats him at stats wise.

Which has always been Ovetchkin's problem. If he could create goals as much as he scored them he might have more accolades than Crosby.
or if he would just skate back on d at all. I still love the running joke of how his controller got unplugged when ever there was a turnover.
Also can't wait to move to Canada and actually be able to watch Hockey again.
Is hockey viewable on any platforms in the UK? Back when I made an effort to watch all the flyers games I think my illegal streams came out of the UK. The US has a weird system where I can watch pretty much every game due to Disney+ but can't watch the Flyers cause I'm within so many miles.

Think Viaplay has it - I keep getting targeted ads telling me to buy a subscription to watch it

I keep meaning to give NHL a go, I love the video games but only ever watch hockey during the Olympics

Is hockey viewable on any platforms in the UK? Back when I made an effort to watch all the flyers games I think my illegal streams came out of the UK. The US has a weird system where I can watch pretty much every game due to Disney+ but can't watch the Flyers cause I'm within so many miles.
It's a mixture of I'm too old to stay up for games anymore.

Plus it's on weird sports channel you only subscribe to if your want to watch Hockey.

NHLTV is too expensive and blacks out Hockey Night in Canada.

Its a bloody pain.

It's a mixture of I'm too old to stay up for games anymore.
completely forgot about time zones. I can barely stay up for games that start on west coast can't imagine doing it with a 5 hour difference.

Bob Nudd is a 4 times world champion
Angling, Snooker, darts. Games at best. I am sure they are goats of their games, but not comparable to proper sports which require athletic ability combined with skill.

Djokovic now on 22 grand slams tied with Nadal. Both going for the All time record of Margaret Court's of 24 Grand slams. Will be fascinating to see who gets there first.

Rafa's body starting to betray him more and more with each slam but would never discount him at Roland Garros. Wouldn't be surprised if skips the American hard court swing to just play clay.

Djokovic now on 22 grand slams tied with Nadal. Both going for the All time record of Margaret Court's of 24 Grand slams. Will be fascinating to see who gets there first.

Rafa's body starting to betray him more and more with each slam but would never discount him at Roland Garros. Wouldn't be surprised if skips the American hard court swing to just play clay.

I fancy Novak to edge ahead even if Rafa is favourite for the French. He could easily win Wimbledon and the US Open.

What's interesting about the current crop of up and comers is that none of them seem to be consistent and good enough to de-throne the old guard. Alcaraz looks a great prospect but none of the others can seem to topple Novak when it matters.

I fancy Novak to edge ahead even if Rafa is favourite for the French. He could easily win Wimbledon and the US Open.

What's interesting about the current crop of up and comers is that none of them seem to be consistent and good enough to de-throne the old guard. Alcaraz looks a great prospect but none of the others can seem to topple Novak when it matters.
If Rafa is fit he's favourite to win the French (Novak being the only one who can beat him there and even he has to be at the very top of his game and Rafa slightly off his), Novak favourite for Wimbledon. That would make it 23-23. Surprisingly Novak's record at the US is relatively poor - winning 3 of the 9 finals he's played there; despite hard courts being his favourite surface. Last win was 2018 if I recall correctly.

I think by that stage of the season fatigue will definitely have gotten to both Rafa and Novak (this is where their age and miles on the clock will play a part) and that is why of the majors this is the one the younger gen have managed to win in recent years.

Alcaraz is the one to watch as you say. I think getting to no.1 really took it out of him and why he's suffering injuries now. So it depends how he recovers as well. Again I think the US is probably his best opportunity.

But yes, a combo of Novak and Rafa being such all time greats and the next gen just not quite being good enough. They just have to bide their time until the top two have retired because neither look like they are getting tired of winning slams.

The other stats that separate Novak from Rafa is that Novak won all the masters series ***les at least twice and importantly the End of year world championships 6 times tied with Federer and can still break, which shows his proficiency across all the main surfaces and environments.

Rafa's indoor hard court record is very poor in comparison, only winning 1 indoor hard court tournament IIRC. It's the one environment combined with surface which doesn't suit his game as well and is the polar opposite of his beloved clay.

The one thing that is abundantly clear is that Novak still lacks the total love and acceptance he craves (except from his fans and from Serbia). The contrast with Messi finally winning the WC could not be any clearer. A GOAT needs to transcend their sport imo.

So we might get ohtani pitching against his trout tonight. Probably the two best baseball players of the 21st century and they've been on the same club team their entire careers.

Shohei ohtani is the best sportsman in the world imho and he's been amazing so far this tournament. A Japan vs USA final with big name players has gotten me really excited.

Presumably whoever is the top Decathlete in the world is going to be way up there - real mixture of strength/sprint/endurance events all at a high level and all crammed into a short time period.
Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

The ultimate answer to this thread is there is no definitive answer and never will be. The GOAT is a myth.

Long live the GOTE…..

Latest posts