TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Two groups, 10rds, starts March 6th, "as many games as possible" will be live streamed

CONFERENCE A:
Saracens
Cornish Pirates
Ampthill
Jersey Reds
London Scottish
Hartpury University

CONFERENCE B:
Ealing Trailfinders
Coventry
Nottingham
Bedford Blues
Doncaster Knights
Richmond

I can't see 'live' games happening in the near future. Sadly it'll be streamed games for the foreseeable.....

London Scottish pulled out to save money.
Is this the start of a contraction of professional teams or will funding be increased for Championship.

Personally, I think the former will happen, as there will be less investors across the board. The RFU are running out of money so can't invest in Championship.
Think it is time to look at a British & Irish League of 24 team in 4 conferences of 6 playing a 18 match regular season plus play offs.

London Scottish pulled out to save money.
Is this the start of a contraction of professional teams or will funding be increased for Championship.

Personally, I think the former will happen, as there will be less investors across the board. The RFU are running out of money so can't invest in Championship.
Think it is time to look at a British & Irish League of 24 team in 4 conferences of 6 playing a 18 match regular season plus play offs.
IMO hte Championship teams that feel the pinch will be those that rely on raising money from a lot of different sponsors as opposed to those who rely on a big benefactor. I can't imagine individuals who are wealthy enough to fund a professional rugby team (e.g. Mike Gooley / Dicky Evans) being badly enough hit by the pandemic to be forced to stop doing so. I'm not sure what the split is in the Championship between teams with a major benefactor and those who rely on a wider portfolio of companies / individuals. Given the cuts in RFU funding and loan repayments that will kick in for those that have taken one, I'd have thought that many would have to switch to operating on a semi-pro basis.

Credit to Scottish and anyone else who cuts their cloth sensibly. I'm sure players are keen to get back playing, but the Championship plans look like a vanity project to me.

The song remains the same with the Championship - nobody wants to pay for it.

I'm also intrigured by the reference to live streaming. This may be nothing, but I thought Sky's rights to the Championship were bundled with their England deal - which has now lapsed I believe.

Not even sure there is currently a broadcaster on-board.

Latest posts