• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2015/2016: Round 10 Fixtures

There's 30 guys wanting to play rugby out there, but none wanting to play good rugby...

0 - 3 after an hour,
Jesus wept.

The standard's been hilarious - pitch must be greasier than it looks (in fairness, does look a bit slick, cutting up easy enough).

Doesn't help that Philips is a bit of a pedant about the knock ons but doesn't give a tuppeny-tug about the offside line.

Saw the last 15 minutes which by the looks of things were the only minutes worth watching! Strong win for Ulster, Connacht look to be running out of steam. Unfortunate for Ulster fans that Nick Williams is now guaranteed to lose them their next tight game after "a more than sterling performance" last night!

Williams has been grand all season to be fair. If I was to worry about him, I'd worry that with his next contract shown up he might slack off, but we'll see about that. Hugely important player at the moment.

Williams has been grand all season to be fair. If I was to worry about him, I'd worry that with his next contract shown up he might slack off, but we'll see about that. Hugely important player at the moment.

its a shame to see him leave. but i can understand why we didnt offer him a new contract

How long does Foley and the rest of the crew get in charge of the good ship phassun?

No set piece, no composure, and more worryingly, iffy basic skillsets for many players. Phassun and entensuty can only take you so far.

For all Munster's possession, they lacked any sort of penetration. Quality recruits are needed at 10 and 12 to steer the team as is a decent attack coach. It's hard to see if any progress has been made since Rob Penney deserted them.

For all Munster's possession, they lacked any sort of penetration. Quality recruits are needed at 10 and 12 to steer the team as is a decent attack coach. It's hard to see if any progress has been made since Rob Penney deserted them.

Problem is they played a 12 at 10 and don't have a quality enough 10 IMO.

Munster IMO have gone down 2, maybe 3 levels since Penny left. They currently are a joke of their old selves, however that is also apparent for numerous clubs in Europe ATM, and many went through similar periods of transition

we're without doubt fourth province in Ireland now! It's a long road back to the top now everyone has got better while we've slid backwards. We need JP with his fat cheque book to take over Munster now. Bring in new coach with new ideas and some key positions are needed on field. I've suggested Eddie O'Sullivan who is still a great coach and knows all the setups inside out, but the petty IRFU will never re hire him. He is someone who could definitely do a job for the province if he got the chance!

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is they played a 12 at 10 and don't have a quality enough 10 IMO.

Munster IMO have gone down 2, maybe 3 levels since Penny left. They currently are a joke of their old selves, however that is also apparent for numerous clubs in Europe ATM, and many went through similar periods of transition[/QUOTE

Yes very true they did, but unless you have euros behind you and prepared to spend you're going to stay in permanent transition. Look at Biarritz a once great French club a shadow of itself.

I've suggested Eddie O'Sullivan who is still a great coach and knows all the setups inside out, but the petty IRFU will never re hire him. He is someone who could definitely do a job for the province if he got the chance!
Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't done anything of note since leaving the Ireland job. The USA didn't progress under his tenure and he departed Biarritz with them last in ProD2. There must be some reason why no top club will give him a head coaching job. Perhaps he could do a job as a backs/attack coach but there's nothing to suggest he'd take a role under somebody else or that he's still capable of such a job - it's 14 years since he did so with Ireland.

Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't done anything of note since leaving the Ireland job. The USA didn't progress under his tenure and he departed Biarritz with them last in ProD2. There must be some reason why no top club will give him a head coaching job. Perhaps he could do a job as a backs/attack coach but there's nothing to suggest he'd take a role under somebody else or that he's still capable of such a job - it's 14 years since he did so with Ireland.

I would not let EO'S train my dog after the job he did at Biarritz......Look at them since the players there decided he was not welcome as he was no effing good!!

Do not think I agree with the manner of his removal (it has happened before under the t*** Blanco)but it was the right outcome!

he's gone a while but it's no way 14 years, 2008 Deccie Kidney took over and became Ireland's most successful ever coach. It's a fuoking pickle, O'Sullivan isn't ****e to be fair to the man he was a whisker away from grand slam on couple of occasions. He's same kinda style as Brian Cody school teacher disciplinarian

he's gone a while but it's no way 14 years, 2008 Deccie Kidney took over and became Ireland's most successful ever coach. It's a fuoking pickle, O'Sullivan isn't ****e to be fair to the man he was a whisker away from grand slam on couple of occasions. He's same kinda style as Brian Cody school teacher disciplinarian
14 years since he was a backs coach.

Eddie would be be as bad as Foley I think, Munster would be better off with someone like Bernard Jackman, a very astute and technical coach. They'll always be a side with enough leaders to make the need of an inspirational coach minimal, direction and precision is what they need now and the guy who had the best squad in the 6 nations in '06 and '07 failing to win the thing isn't the right guy to have. A coach who has established a relatively poorly funded Grenoble in the top 14 fits the bill perfectly.

Just in now. On a side note Earls seems to be ok. We are happy it's not serious.
Regards game. Positives were CJ again was brilliant. Scanell made errors but overall he looks like he may become good enough. Our half backs that started were just desperate and very lackadaisical.
Our gameplan was poor, our confidence seems drained and the heart seems to be going a bit.
But like Leinster last year, yea we can ditch Foley but that'd be pointless unless you have the right people to come in.

Regards Cmac recommendation of Jackman. I'd add in his assistant is Prendy. And both went abroad serving their time. In my opinion all coaches should do that like ROG is doing now. Ireland is too small professionally to allow guys learn on job.

Last edited:
unless you have euros behind you and prepared to spend you're going to stay in permanent transition.

Its up to the coaching system to develop the kids.

You've an island of 6+ million feeding 4 teams. There is no real excuses - it is underperformance of both the system and the coaches within it.

Its up to the coaching system to develop the kids.

You've an island of 6+ million feeding 4 teams. There is no real excuses - it is underperformance of both the system and the coaches within it.

If that were accurate it'd be easy fix but that's about 10% of total problem.
There is only a quarter of a million registered players from 7 years old up playing rugby so 6 million up is a bit of an exaggeration.

If that were accurate it'd be easy fix but that's about 10% of total problem.

I'd say its more like 90+% the total problem.

There is only a quarter of a million registered players from 7 years old up playing rugby

Why is that?

Part historical, part organisational.

Then there is the issue of - if you don't go to an elite secondary school, your likely to be marooned by the "system". So 80+% of the ~4% of the 6.5 million are also excluded. Leaving you a total of less than 1% even being considered for professional rugby - utter madness.

I'd say its more like 90+% the total problem.

Why is that?

Part historical, part organisational.

Then there is the issue of - if you don't go to an elite secondary school, your likely to be marooned by the "system". So 80+% of the ~4% of the 6.5 million are also excluded. Leaving you a total of less than 1% even being considered for professional rugby - utter madness.

Again figures are wrong and knowledge of the system from kids up here in Munster is wrong. Majority of rugby playing schools here in Munster aren't fee paying or private.
System was flawed due to rules here between schools and clubs.

Latest posts