• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guitar Hero > Rock Band

To be fair, Activision was bidding just as stupidly for the rights. Like you say, I have no idea why. I guess its a brand thing?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 30 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's so lame.

Meh, the most overrated band in the world...[/b]

Seriously?

I personally prefer listenting to Metallica etc. but I still think The Beatles are and will always be the best band to ever grace this planet. Sooo many amazing songs, very few bad ones and the kind of fame and mass hysteria the likes will never be seen again.

I don't know many people who dislike The Beatles music, from young to old, everyone aprieciates them. That's what I call amazing!

The Stones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Beatles

Anyone who says otherwise is a <strike>communist</strike> Dirty Mod

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 30 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 30 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's so lame.

Seriously?

I personally prefer listenting to Metallica etc. but I still think The Beatles are and will always be the best band to ever grace this planet. Sooo many amazing songs, very few bad ones and the kind of fame and mass hysteria the likes will never be seen again.

I don't know many people who dislike The Beatles music, from young to old, everyone aprieciates them. That's what I call amazing!
[/b][/quote]

Well if you consider couple/verse/couple/verse 2.30 min long binary songs the best of the world there's nothing I can do for you.

Pop music has to be the most primitive and boring form of music, just above military bands...

When everybody appreciates the same thing, this means exactly that this very thing is average and has no personality.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 30 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Oh my, oh my.
Where to begin.

Ok tell me, Charles, name me some of the bands that hold the top spot in your eyes...

*RC eagerly awaits the response.*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 30 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Anyone who says otherwise is a <strike>communist</strike> Dirty Mod[/b]

Rolling Stones were another amazing band, but I'd still put The Beatles above and beyond. Many other people have the same opinion, with songs such as 'Let It Be', 'Yesterday', 'Hey Jude' etc. etc. heavily appearing in most lists of greatest ever songs.

Can't believe Charles has described the Beatles in the way he has! Some of the greatest songs ever written have been done so by the Beatles. See above, or take a look at lists compiled by the likes of Rolling Stone magazine etc.

Now I understand how it's not everyones cup of tea, I personally prefer 10's of bands above the Beatles, but I can appriciate them and see why they are up there with the best ever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 30 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Oh my, oh my.
Where to begin.

Ok tell me, Charles, name me some of the bands that hold the top spot in your eyes...

[/b][/quote]

Well some real musicians, maybe ?

In no particular order, in different styles:

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Soft Machine
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Jimmy Smith
BB King
Wagner
Tchaikovsky
Wes Montgomery
Fela Kuti.... the list goes on and on

The problem is that people consider pop music to be the pinnacle of music, which it obviously is not.

I wouldn't call The Beatles pop music in the sense it's used nowerdays. I know it originally stands as popular music, but I think the definition has now changed to the crap played nowerdays, Britney Spears etc. I'd closer classify them as Rock etc.

I'm also an alternative kind of person, with some barely heard of bands making up my fave list. Bands like Vertical Horizon, Something Corporate, The Spill Canvas etc. Not many people have heard of them (not to everyones taste either!), so not 'pop'ular music atall. So that argument isn't a good one.

I also can't believe you don't consider The Beatles good musicians. They wrote some of the best lyrics around, all of them could play very well, fine not complicated stuff, but not everything needs to be (for example, Lars from Metallica isn't a great drummer, but he sticks to some basic beats and it works!). You also have to remember the era they came from, they pioneered a new sound. They were the first band to use the feedback from guitars etc. as part of the song.

Suppose I just wasn't aware there were people out there who didn't appreciate their music.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 31 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wouldn't call The Beatles pop music in the sense it's used nowerdays. I know it originally stands as popular music, but I think the definition has now changed to the crap played nowerdays, Britney Spears etc. I'd closer classify them as Rock etc.

I'm also an alternative kind of person, with some barely heard of bands making up my fave list. Bands like Vertical Horizon, Something Corporate, The Spill Canvas etc. Not many people have heard of them (not to everyones taste either!), so not 'pop'ular music atall. So that argument isn't a good one.

I also can't believe you don't consider The Beatles good musicians. They wrote some of the best lyrics around, all of them could play very well, fine not complicated stuff, but not everything needs to be (for example, Lars from Metallica isn't a great drummer, but he sticks to some basic beats and it works!). You also have to remember the era they came from, they pioneered a new sound. They were the first band to use the feedback from guitars etc. as part of the song.

Suppose I just wasn't aware there were people out there who didn't appreciate their music.[/b]

No . Ringo Starr is a crappy drummer, as is Ulrich btw. Jazz and classical music players (in a way) are good musicians, not people only able to play binary music.

Would you consider someone only able to run straight a good rugby player ? Or only able to pass the ball left for ex ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 30 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No . Ringo Starr is a crappy drummer, as is Ulrich btw. Jazz and classical music players (in a way) are good musicians, not people only able to play binary music.

Would you consider someone only able to run straight a good rugby player ? Or only able to pass the ball left for ex ?[/b]

Again, not sure I agree. Ringo was a decent drummer, the kind of music played didn't call for big drum solo's or complicated beats. In the 50's-60's when the Beatles were starting up, the drummer was used to simply hold the beat, nothing fancy, completely different to stuff from the 70's onwards. I've played the drums since the age of 12, and can tell poor drumming (Ulrich is poor, Blink 182's first drummer was diabolical for example, before Travis joined, who's a very good dummer infact.) I'm just trying to demonstrate that music has changed, it's unfair to call someone a poor musician, when there wasn't a need to play complicated stuff. Simple riffs, beats etc. can sometimes be the best.

For a quick example on how tastes differ, and why I understand completely if you dislike The Beatles, or anyone else for that matter. I've never been a fan of long complex guitar solo's in songs, I love the sound etc. but I always find it doesn't gel all that well with the rest of the song. Solo's can often come out of nowhere, just for the hell of it. (the likes of Jimmy Hendrix, Santana etc. don't come under this, one of the things that made them so great was the ability to incorporate solo's into songs and make them belong there.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 31 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Anyone who says otherwise is a <strike>communist</strike> Dirty Mod[/b]

Hmmm..... I do prefer the Stones over the Beatles also, but not by much. The Beatles early stuff such as Help! is pure ass, but Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album and Sgt. Pepper's are all classic rock albums. The Stones are over rated in my opinion anyway, so I suppose you can't go wrong in comparing the two.

Ringo is an ass drummer, Pete Best was MILES better.

Best drummer ever though = Keith Moon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 31 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 30 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my, oh my.
Where to begin.

[/b][/quote]

Well some real musicians, maybe ?

In no particular order, in different styles:

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Soft Machine
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Jimmy Smith
BB King
Wagner
Tchaikovsky
Wes Montgomery
Fela Kuti.... the list goes on and on

The problem is that people consider pop music to be the pinnacle of music, which it obviously is not.
[/b][/quote]

All of the above artists blow each of the Beatles away in terms of individual talent, but as a group the Beatles are legendary.

Bands however that are better than Beatles include anything from Pink Floyd to Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Who.

By the way, The Soft Machine are awesome Charles, pity they never really made it big.

Dullonien: sorry to say that but Ringo is a crappy drummer, really.
Any jazz drummer from the 50' onward would be miles better, in terms of technique and creativity. You say drummer was used to hold the beat (bass as well) well that's the problem really.That's boring.

John Coltrane (for example) was miles ahead any pop/rock , in the 50/60'...

Music hasn't changed: some people play music (melody+solo+creativity from each musician), some people play a binary melody with other sounds around (simple drums, simple bass).

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, I had this discussion so many times ... :) nothing against you really...

Cullen: happy to see someone knowing and appreciating the Soft Machine...their music is not mainstream enough to make it big, but they are indeed awesome, esp the first 4 albums.

RIP Elton Dean, superb saxo player...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 31 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any jazz drummer from the 50' onward would be miles better, in terms of technique and creativity. You say drummer was used to hold the beat (bass as well) well that's the problem really.That's boring.

Music hasn't changed: some people play music (melody+solo+creativity from each musician), some people play a binary melody with other sounds around (simple drums, simple bass).

Sorry if I sound like an asshole, I had this discussion so many times ... :) nothing against you really...

Cullen: happy to see someone knowing and appreciating the Soft Machine...their music is not mainstream enough to make it big, but they are indeed awesome, esp the first 4 albums.

RIP Elton Dean, superb saxo player...[/b]

Yeah they are a bit "avant garde" with respect to the mainstream, but that's why they're so good. They used to open regularly for Pink Floyd in the mid 60's at the underground UFO club in London.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Oct 31 2008, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 31 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RIP Elton Dean, superb saxo player...[/b]

Yeah they are a bit "avant garde" with respect to the mainstream, but that's why they're so good. They used to open regularly for Pink Floyd in the mid 60's at the underground UFO club in London.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, Nick Mason was a good friend of the band, he organised the charity concert for Robert Wyatt when he got paralysed, with PF playing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 31 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry if I sound like an asshole, I had this discussion so many times ... :) nothing against you really...[/b]

Not at all mate, I understand completely where your coming from. There's no harm in dasagreeing, we'll leave it there shall we?

Have you seen this guy on youtube. Amazing, with just some buckets to play on!

Whats so good about Rock Band is the variation, there is music for all ages and era's, fair enough some DLC I wouldn't bother with but it doesn't mean others won't appreciate it.

Well, i just bought rock band for the ps3 and i am loving it. I played guitar hero 3 and i enjoyed that as well. Rock Band, for me, just gives me more variation. And the fact that its like guitar hero/singstar + drums makes it more of a multiplayer drinking game for me and is much more fun than just watching someone play. Its more of a group activity than guitar hero.

i just love playing the drums as well :)

Latest posts