• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gun incidents

me and the missus was looking for a cheeky holiday in September and we're looking at Montenegro. It seems reasonable and I have always been eager to go back to the Balkans having spent sometime there as a squaddie. We then found out its about 3rd in guns per person behind America and Serbia which kind of put the missus off. Now I am an actual gun owner here in the UK so I'm not "afraid" of guns but I have to say I'm siding with the missus on this and going to Portugal instead

"The state was working on new laws to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and to increase penalties for criminals to possess guns, he said, noting an increase in anger and violence in the country."

As far as I'm aware, none of these mass shootings are carried out by "dangerous criminals", and the majority of them end up being shot dead, so how are you going to increase the penalties?
Probably using the logic that they shot people so they are a criminal and completely ignores the fact that they weren't before hand.

I reckon America already has some of the harshest penalties outside of the death penalty or being shot by police, so yeah, no idea how you can increase the penalties if it's already not a deterrent.

"The state was working on new laws to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and to increase penalties for criminals to possess guns, he said, noting an increase in anger and violence in the country."

As far as I'm aware, none of these mass shootings are carried out by "dangerous criminals", and the majority of them end up being shot dead, so how are you going to increase the penalties?
I think there's also plenty that are carried out by known "dangerous criminals" - gangland shootings etc - but they don't really make the press.
Certainly when I've had these "discussions" about how high the US gun death rate is, I've been told that most of them don't matter because they're gang on gang (with a strong implication that if "most" of them don't matter, then none of them matter, because we can't separate them out in the stat.s)

From my non-American perspective, I can never work out why those deaths don't matter, or shouldn't count.

I suppose they're looking at it from the perspective that if you're involved in gangs, getting shot is an occupational hazard?

Whereas, if you're six, getting shot in school shouldn't even be a consideration.

me and the missus was looking for a cheeky holiday in September and we're looking at Montenegro. It seems reasonable and I have always been eager to go back to the Balkans having spent sometime there as a squaddie. We then found out its about 3rd in guns per person behind America and Serbia which kind of put the missus off. Now I am an actual gun owner here in the UK so I'm not "afraid" of guns but I have to say I'm siding with the missus on this and going to Portugal instead
I remember some R and R in Split, Croatia back in the day. A rather dubious club i ended up in with the lads had a no guns allowed sign in the entrance.

I remember the look on a couple of hundred RAF engineers when it was suggested we could be moving from southern Italy to Pristina airport…

I agree with you, no one should be allowed a gun except for police because obviously, people use them for the wrong reasons.
There's no need for a total ban and statistics don't suggest that there is either. More people are mauled to death by dogs in the U.K. every year than are killed by licensed gun owners.

Responsible gun control works, no need to be obnoxiously British and ask for a total ban just because you don't like guns on a personal level.

I thought you meant that America had responsible gun control and were comparing the number of deaths by dangerous dogs in the uk with gun deaths in America 😂

Good for them
That graph on number of guns shows just how much of an outlier America is and the scale of the issue. Over double the amount of guns of the next nearest country. It's staggering how many guns they have.

Good to see Serbians making changes for the better.

While I'm sure most will be American, this isn't exclusively for American incidents or just bashing America and their attitudes towards guns.

I personally disagree with their gun laws and I can't understand why they won't introduce even basic background checks, but I accept that it's their country and they have their own points of view.

To start the thread I just want to say...GOOD!

This guy deserves life for what he did and all because he was asked to stop shooting so a baby could sleep.

However, to also start a discussion. Surely if their were background checks he would never have had a gun. Saying that he was apparently deported 4 times previously and came back to America even buying property, so something isn't working there either.
just looping back to the OP for a second....anyone clock where the guy was found?....in a town named "cut and shoot", had to google it, legend says when a big town argument broke out about something (reports about what vary)...a CHILD said they were so scared they were going to CUT around the corner and SHOOT into the crowd....does that not say something about attitudes in some places in the US

a) that was a childs attitude
b) everyone loved it so much they named the town after it

Latest posts