• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gun incidents

Virginia is in America

This is actually a valid point,
Feels like we've an increasing issue with dog attacks recently - especially with the rising popularity of the "XL Bully" breeds
Feels like every couple of weeks there's a report of a killing or a mauling by one

Someone bought one in my village and I'm ngl I don't want to walk my dog near them
Correct and apologies on the first point, I misread.

In the U.K., you are far more likely to die by dog attack than shot by a legally held firearm. Despite this, there are virtually no restrictions on dog ownership.

In the U.K., you are far more likely to die by dog attack than shot by a legally held firearm. Despite this, there are virtually no restrictions on dog ownership.
This thread relates largely to the USA, and their complete refusal to do anything about the gun issue. In the UK clearly this isn't such a problem.

You're aware that this is a thread about gun violence? yes?
You're aware that there's an order of magnitude more dogs in the UK than there are guns? yes?

You really seem to have your knickers twisted up about dog attacks in the UK - how about starting a thread to talk about it?

BTW though, I'm going to want to see your working
From what I'm getting out of google, dog deaths are 3.3 per year (69 total in a 21 year period [2001-2021]), gun deaths average 167 per year (3506 in a 21 period [1996-2016]) - dog deaths here are in England & Wales; gun deaths are in UK.

I'm getting about half a million legal gun owners in the UK (with an estimated 1.87M guns as per Wiki) - 1.875x10^{-3} deaths per gun, over a 21 year period
I'm getting about 10 million dog owners in the UK (with approximately 13M dogs as per previous link) - 5.308x10^{-6} deaths per dog, over a 21 year period

If you want the raw data, then have a look here.
IC-10 code W54 for "bitten or struck by dog"
IC-10 codes W32-W34 for "Accidental discharge of firearm"; X72-X74 for "Intentional self-harm by firearm"; X93-X95 for "Assault by firearm"; Y22-Y24 "Firearm discharge, undetermined intent"; and Y35.0 for "Legal intervention involving firearm discharge"

ETA: Ah, I've just had a look at your profile - I hadn't realised you were that guy - 12 posts, 6 of them being upset that people don't like being killed by guns; and 6 "I'm telling you I'm a twat without telling you I'm a twat" new threads.

Last edited:
You're aware that there's an order of magnitude more dogs in the UK than there are guns? yes?

You really seem to have your knickers twisted up about dog attacks in the UK - how about starting a thread to talk about it?

From what I'm getting out of google, dog deaths are 3.45 per year (69 total in a 20 year period), gun deaths average 72.3 per year (1447 in a 20 period)

I'm getting about half a million legal gun owners in the UK (with an estimated 1.87M guns as per Wiki)
I'm getting about 10 million dog owners in the UK (with approximately 13M dogs as per previous link)

ETA: Ah, I've just had a look at your profile - I hadn't realised you were that guy - 12 posts, 6 of them being upset that people don't like being killed by guns; and 6 "I'm telling you I'm a twat without telling you I'm a twat" new threads.
Yeah, that's why I didn't respond. You don't make a troll disappear by feeding it.

Though personally dog owners should be vetted or have to take a course on how to care for a dog, because while some dogs might attack unprovoked, often I believe it's irresponsible ownership that is a large cause.

Though personally dog owners should be vetted or have to take a course on how to care for a dog, because while some dogs might attack unprovoked, often I believe it's irresponsible ownership that is a large cause.
If you take idiot humans, and medical issues out, then I suspect you've got 99% of dog attacks nailed there.

From what I'm getting out of google, dog deaths are 3.3 per year (69 total in a 21 year period [2001-2021]), gun deaths average 167 per year (3506 in a 21 period [1996-2016]) - dog deaths here are in England & Wales; gun deaths are in UK.

I'm getting about half a million legal gun owners in the UK (with an estimated 1.87M guns as per Wiki) - 1.875x10^{-3} deaths per gun, over a 21 year period
I'm getting about 10 million dog owners in the UK (with approximately 13M dogs as per previous link) - 5.308x10^{-6} deaths per dog, over a 21 year period

If you want the raw data, then have a look here.
IC-10 code W54 for "bitten or struck by dog"
IC-10 codes W32-W34 for "Accidental discharge of firearm"; X72-X74 for "Intentional self-harm by firearm"; X93-X95 for "Assault by firearm"; Y22-Y24 "Firearm discharge, undetermined intent"; and Y35.0 for "Legal intervention involving firearm discharge"

How did you not recognize the man the myth the legend, max power?

the counterargument i dont see as much as thought i would...dogs have other benefits, just like cars, so with a utilitarian evaluation we can say the good these things far outweigh the bad....guns purpose is to kill things...and the main sense of security some feel...is against other people with guns, doesnt stack up

The most 'Murican video you will see today. However what possible justification can there be for a person to own this?

The most 'Murican video you will see today. However what possible justification can there be for a person to own this?

The perfect defence for when someone uses your driveway to turn around, or knocks on your door thinking it's their friends house

What a ridiculous country

the counterargument i dont see as much as thought i would...dogs have other benefits, just like cars, so with a utilitarian evaluation we can say the good these things far outweigh the bad....guns purpose is to kill things...and the main sense of security some feel...is against other people with guns, doesnt stack up
Pest control, sporting functions, hunting and in certain circumstances self defense.

"It's completely incomprehensible to have shot a child"

Surely it's incomprehensible to have shot anyone in that situation.

"It's completely incomprehensible to have shot a child"

Surely it's incomprehensible to have shot anyone in that situation.
But doesn't shooting of a child represent the worst of gun crime? Children not supposed to die before their parents or grandparents and have their whole lives in front of them but denied the chance.

Latest posts