• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gym

90kg Lads bet you're all feeling quite pathetic now. :p

Unfortunately if I was to squat that now Id be afraid of my leg falling off. A fat guy decided to see what would happen if he focused all his weight on it last saturday in a minor football championship match, the result was very weak knee that has been bucking under my own weight randomly since.

Icky stuff, get better mate.

Presently I've done nothing, struggling to get over some nerve damage in my left shoulder.

Unfortunately if I was to squat that now Id be afraid of my leg falling off. A fat guy decided to see what would happen if he focused all his weight on it last saturday in a minor football championship match, the result was very weak knee that has been bucking under my own weight randomly since.
OMG you're soooooo strong. You couldn't lift a Dolan if you wanted to

My knee was feeling sketchy for a week or two up until yesterday after my (first ever) clearance kick in my last game someone tried to charge it down and ran through my leg. Hurt like f**k.

Dips are an absolute killer, added them back in last chest session, can do 3x6 and they make me want to die. Going to keep at them though and start adding weight soon (chins/pullups used to be my worst nightmare but can do both now, and adding weight steadily).

Okay, so I'm on the steady decline of losing fat...

It's now been 10 weeks, and I've lost a total of 12,7kgs!

Yesterday was brutal...

this was my program:

100 Bodyweight Squats
26 lengths of lunge walks (for a distance of 10m)
50 Step ups (per leg)
30 sprints
100 Reverse Lunges (50 per leg)
200 crunches flat on mat
100 crunches on ball
100 reverse crunches
50 jackknives...

And I had to do it within an hour...

I was ****ed!!

Been to the gym a few times since getting back to uni (planning on going alot more) doing squats again for the first time in over a year and ahalf is depressing.. moreso that the weight pushing down on my shoulder as I can't get the bar comfy due to the op over a year back now.. the rotation just makes it uncomfortable after around the end of the first set.. first time trying back on 20kg each side and it just failed epically, the bar was too high on my shoulder (didn't really notice till it was too late) and when at the bottom of the squat my shoulder just gave out and I just about managed to stop it all falling.. so had to go with 10kg each side.. (was a Olympic bar though afaik) :/ Gonna have to start the 5x5 soon hope it all helps.

Last edited:
Was squatting 120 for 5x5 the other day with pretty good form if I do say so myself.

Than because I wasn't able to do contact I had to do:

10 sprints for 10s

5 sprints from halfway to tryline and back with 30s high knees after each

10 sprints from tryline to 22 and back with various exercises such as jump squats, lunges, burpees, mt climbers etc. at the 22 and 10 sit ups on the tryline fairly annoying.

ahhhhh lost all motivation to go to the gym worked hard for ages in the gym and not seeing many results... anyone know any workouts to put weight on?

ahhhhh lost all motivation to go to the gym worked hard for ages in the gym and not seeing many results... anyone know any workouts to put weight on?

If you want to put weight on do somethign like Starting Strength but att about 500 extra calories per day. If you follow that for 3 x months your guarnteed to put weight on.

If you want to put weight on do somethign like Starting Strength but att about 500 extra calories per day. If you follow that for 3 x months your guarnteed to put weight on.
This is true.

Calculate your macros Perry and hit them every day ..lift every day you will get huge

To work out macros:

Work out your basal metabolic rate (how many calories you consume every day doing nothing - basically how much it takes for you to live/not gain/lose weight).
A very basic way of doing this is:

[9.99 x Weight (Kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5

So for me it'd be: [9.99 x 90] + [6.25 x 187] - [4.92 x 22] + 5 = 1965calories

You then times that by how much activity you do to determine your maintenance:

1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

So for me I'd say probably moderately the upper end of moderately active, so
1965 * 1.6 = 3144calories to maintain body weight.

Generally to add on weight you add 10-20% more calories (for me that's 3459 -3772calories) to lose weight you subtract 10-20% (2829 - 2515).

You then use that to work out your macros.
Macros are (basically) protein, fat and carbs.

Protein about 1.25 - 1.5g per pound of body mass
Fats 1 - 2g per kg
Carbs calculated based on remaining calories from the above, which is:

Protein is about 4cal per g, fat about 9cal per g, carbs about 4cal per g so:
Carb Calories = Total Calories - ([protein grams x 4] + [fat grams x 9])
Carb grams = Total from above/4

So again, for me (using the middle point of the protein/fat guidelines):
Protein = 198 * 1.375 = 272.25g
Fat = 90*1.5 = 135g

Carb Calories = 3614 - ([272.25*4] + [135*9]) = 1310
Carb g = 1310/4 = 327.5g

My Macros:
Protein = 272.25
Fat = 135g
Carbs = 327.5g

Sheesh, this has made me realise that I'm really not hitting anywhere near my targets.

I know this post is a bit of an essay but it's worth working it all out as eating is a massive part of training (as is getting enough sleep).

Bleurgh, off to do deadlifts etc. in a bit.
Really not looking forward to it: Legs still feel crappy from squats the other day, and I'm knackered from work.

Edit: Scrapped the deadlifts and did more/heavier High Pulls instead. They're basically powercleans without the 'catch' at the top, so you can put more weight in for the drive, which is the part you use during rugby etc. anyhow.

Last edited:
I am hitting chest like a tonne of bricks at the moment...getting a wee bit of pectoral overhang. I genuinely want to tech so badly though

Chest is my favourite thing to hit at the moment, specially dumbell press. Love it.
Started loading up on creatine the other day, so that should be kicking in soon, and I'm starting back on my pre-workout shake tomorrow morning. Not been using it for the past month or two (maybe longer?) so it's going to hit me like an absolute ton of bricks as my tolerance will have completely gone.
Can't wait :lol:

The combination of coke and juice is an odd one:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts