Heineken Cup Final: Northampton Saints - Leinster

Heineken Cup Final

• Northampton Saints

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Leinster

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This game reminds me of the old days, Leinster with the backs and Munster with the pack "Boring, boring Munster!"
I can tell you all now, this will be the 'worst. final. ever...'!

Leinster defense, and Line-out is too good for Northampton to score from set plays,
and the back row will kill in the ruck, They'll get no where.
So Northampton will turn to The Scrum, just like they did in the 2nd half when Perpignan tried to play.
But the only 'score' they'll get, will either be a penalty try(if they even get into Leinster 22), or a yellow card...

The team with the best discipline and defense will win this game, and that is(I swear, I'm not normally bias) Leinster!!

Leinster by 10... Points.

I suppose the teams will be something like this.>>>
15.I.Nacewa ---15.B.Foden
11.L.Fitzgerald ---14.C.Ashton
12.G.Darcy ---13.J.Clarke
13.B.O'Driscoll ---12.J.Downey
14.S.Horgan ---11.P.Diggin
10.J.Sexton ---10.S.Myler
9.E.Reddan ---9.L.Dickson
8.J.Heaslip ---8.R.Wilson
6.S.O'Brien ---7.P.Dowson
7.S.Jennings ---6.B.Woods
4.L.Cullen ---5.C.Day
5.N.Hines ---4.C.Lawes
1.C.Healy ---3.B.Mujati
2.R.Strauss ---2.D.Hartley
3.M.Ross ---1.S.Tonga'uiha

16.J.Harris-Wright ---16.B.Sharman
17.H.V.D.Merwe ---17.A.Waller
18.S.Wright ---18.T.Mercey
19.D.Toner ---19.M.Sorenson
20.R.Ruddock ---20.M.Easter
21.I.Boss ---21.S.Commins
22.I.Madigan---22.S.Geraghty
23.F.McFadden ---23.J.Ansbro

I would expect McLaughlin to be on the bench.

Yeah, while Domo Ryan and Ruddock have been superb this year, Jennings and Kev are still the senior back rowers. It's a position we have phenominal depth in, which will be needed next season when we should lose 3 players to WC duty.

Yeah, while Domo Ryan and Ruddock have been superb this year, Jennings and Kev are still the senior back rowers. It's a position we have phenominal depth in, which will be needed next season when we should lose 3 players to WC duty.

I would even go as far as saying we have the best back row options in Europe. Ryan and Ruddock both look like great talents and they have the ability to become internationals. Even further down in the academy players like Jordi Murphy look to be great prospects in the back row. I thought he was very good in the U-20 6N this year. On this occasion I would start Jennings at 7 as that makes are back row more balanced and he will be a player that will do alot of unseen work as expect him to solidify the breakdown area and put pressure on Northampton's Half backs. He also has the experience which is so valuable in Finals. McLaughlin will be useful of the bench as he will add another level to our lineout and carry the ball effectively.

Savage backrow. Thanks to a mixture of injury and Schmidt's coaching we've been given the oppurtunity to see 5 backrow players who are of European standard this season. Brilliant stuff! We're in the same situation in the center. D'Arcy, BOD, O'Malley and McFadden. O'Malley and McFadden are two players who don't do errors. Both great rugby brains and nippy ********. They work well together as well. They'd both start for the vast majority of Heineken Cup teams imo.

I am really keen to see what O'Malley can produce next year..he looks a savage prospect

Definatly McFadden should feel hard done by for ALOT of things this year. Being dropped by kidney and not getting the bench ahead of paddy Wallace and not sartong ahead of Fitzgerald for Leinster when he had that run of bad form.

Savage backrow. Thanks to a mixture of injury and Schmidt's coaching we've been given the oppurtunity to see 5 backrow players who are of European standard this season. Brilliant stuff! We're in the same situation in the center. D'Arcy, BOD, O'Malley and McFadden. O'Malley and McFadden are two players who don't do errors. Both great rugby brains and nippy ********. They work well together as well. They'd both start for the vast majority of Heineken Cup teams imo.

Agreed. While it may seem a tad bit harsh, I really wish BOD and Dorce would **** off after next season. Great Leinster servants, but the provinces are there to feed the national teams and McFadden and O'Malley need gametime together to see if they're up to test standard. While it's all well and good to say they're great prospects, O'Malley will be 23 in the summer and McFadden will be 25. They need to be playing week in, week out.

I agree butt D'arcy should go first I think having BOD around as a squad player for another session or two would be really useful.

On the fact that we seem over confident it's just the glory grabbers no the embers who are here all year round not just when, I think we can win if we can just match Northampton's pack and the men in 1,3 and 4(laws right?) in particular.

My dad seems to be adamant that O'Driscoll and D'Arcy will retire after the world cup. I'm inclined to agree regarding D'Arcy. I think BOD may be holding out for another Lions tour though... I can also see Horgan retiring if Leinster win the H cup. If D'Arcy and Horgan retire we could see a backline of;

9. Boss/Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. O'Malley
13. O'Driscoll
14. McFadden
15. Nacewa

My dad seems to be adamant that O'Driscoll and D'Arcy will retire after the world cup. I'm inclined to agree regarding D'Arcy. I think BOD may be holding out for another Lions tour though... I can also see Horgan retiring if Leinster win the H cup. If D'Arcy and Horgan retire we could see a backline of;

9. Boss/Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. O'Malley
13. O'Driscoll
14. McFadden
15. Nacewa

Fap Fap Fap **

Ever so glad we're just turning up for the Leinster passing out parade. So honoured you're allowing us to be part of your big day.

I swear the average IQ of Munster fans has doubled since Leinster became the fashionable Irish province.

Ah no worries, Sure you'll get a silver medal just for being there! Might as well show up like...
Indeed, We've started to invest in their schools as of late. Think they've just started to get electricity down there too. AND broad band would you believe!! :O

don%27t-count-your-chickens.jpg

This might not matter in any way whatsoever, but, we haven't seen Leinster play away or in a neutral ground in the HC for some time. Northampton have technically been playing 'at home' but in reality they've been adjusting to more neutral venues which they are less familiar with . maybe that will help them going into this match? Leinster are a fantastic side but there's no doubt that the aviva gives them a huge boost, and I've no doubt that the English contingent in the saints team would rather be playing in cardiff than in the aviva.

This might not matter in any way whatsoever, but, we haven't seen Leinster play away or in a neutral ground in the HC for some time. Northampton have technically been playing 'at home' but in reality they've been adjusting to more neutral venues which they are less familiar with . maybe that will help them going into this match? Leinster are a fantastic side but there's no doubt that the aviva gives them a huge boost, and I've no doubt that the English contingent in the saints team would rather be playing in cardiff than in the aviva.

But... RDS is Leinster's home ground... I kind of see what you're saying... but it's wrong. Northampton were very much playing at home in both matches. If they had been playing an English side that's located closer to MK Dons than them (is there one?) then I would agree. But they were playing Ulster and Perpignan. They had as much of a home advantage as Leinster.

Certainly didn't feel like a home game, more like an away match were we'd out-numbered the opposition fans.

A bit like playing in Scotland. Or Cardiff City Ground.

But... RDS is Leinster's home ground... I kind of see what you're saying... but it's wrong. Northampton were very much playing at home in both matches. If they had been playing an English side that's located closer to MK Dons than them (is there one?) then I would agree. But they were playing Ulster and Perpignan. They had as much of a home advantage as Leinster.

Obviously MK is closer to Northampton than it is to Dublin...but I think familiarity with a ground, along with pitch quality, dimensions etc are a big part of what makes home advantage important. I dont think the fact that Mk is in england advantages saints that much except insofar as getting supporters accross quite easily. its the pitch that matters really.

i see where you're coming from though

Absolutely. On TV the place appeared to have an atmosphere akin to a morgue.

Terrace people being placed to sit along with the quiet-Prawn Sandwich birgade of the Tetleys Stand, regular groups split up (B, C & D blocks all over the shop), the stands being a long way from the pitch. All factors which play into it.

Most of us gave up trying to sing songs when it was impossible to get anything going.

Latest posts