• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Help me with teams in the Aviva Premiership

nadoss

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Rebels
I'm a big rugby fan, but haven't followed the Premiership much. Being from the US I dont have a province to root for, so I figured I'd let the fans of each team tell me what makes their team the best one to root for. I've got quite a bit of information so far, so there are some teams I'm leaning towards but I'd like to hear what true fans want to say before I try to become one.

The rundown:

Leicester - Have a rich history of winning ***les. Many suspect because of "under-hand tactics". Passionate but humourless fans. Great stadium in a horrible city.
Saracens - Current champions. Bloody difficult to beat, can play attractive rugby if they want to. Fans mix from really-really good (old school fez heads) to complete bellends (mostly the recently converted soccer fans). Horrible stadium in a horrible city.
Gloucester - Excellent fans (with the odd bellend). Excellent stadium in a reasonable area. Very good rugby team. Never win anything.
Northampton - Pretty much the same as Gloucester. Fans tend to laugh at themselves slightly more then the Gloucester lot.
Bath - The most Amateurish Pro team in the world. Crap stadium in a good city. Would win a lot if they could maintain concentration.
London Irish - Can be a good team, buckle too much under pressure. Fans play the victim card. Clean (if boring) soccer stadium on the arse end of an industrial estate.
Quins - Another COULD be good team if they could maintain some consistency. Some fans can be snobbish (it's not just a stereotype). Good stadium in a good area.
Wasps - Crap team living off past glories. Fans range from good fun to miserable. Surprisingly good (if dirty) stadium in a crap area (another at the back of an industrial estate.
Exeter - Home fans are surprisingly miserable, the travellers are a good bunch. Rugby is okay. Stadium is alright (for the back end of beyond). Probably will improve. Good local pubs.
Sale - Some excellent fans (and on the flip side, Olyy!). Horrid stadium. Steve Diamond means a horrible brand of rugby. Relegation fodder.
Newcastle - Horrible brand of rugby. Can't comment on Kingston park (never been as they refuse to play any time but on Friday night). Like to play on plastic pitches. Fans are passionate and good singers - All 12 of them. Relegation favourites.
Worcester - Fans got a bit up their own arse before the relegation, the year in ND1 should have got them back to their old form. Sixways is a great stadium, but on the back of an Industrial estate. Rugby remains to be seen.

Leeds - Great stadium with cheep beer. Good fans. Horrid rugby.

Hope that helps.

Sale - Some excellent fans (and on the flip side, Olyy!). Horrid stadium. Steve Diamond means a horrible brand of rugby. Relegation fodder.

Wwweeeeeyyyyyy!

Though I agree
We won the Premiership once (topping the table and winning the play offs) but that was very much a blip in a fairly poor existence

Thanks, this was really helpful along with some other similar posts i've got from other sources. I've got to say I've finally chosen. The team that sounds the most like my favourite team in the whole world in any sport (The San Jose Sharks) would have to get my vote. The San Jose Sharks are a great team with some talent. A beautiful Pavilion in the middle of one of my favourite cities (i'm not a city person). Still, they've come dreadfully short in the playoffs many times, and although the refs screwed us last year, we are tough and will try to bounce back. Can anyone guess who I think sound like my SJ Sharks?

Still, they've come dreadfully short in the playoffs many times, and although the refs screwed us last year, we are tough and will try to bounce back. Can anyone guess who I think sound like my SJ Sharks?

Cornish Pirates

yep, Gloucester. A hard working team that might very well be one of the better teams out there but just can't seem to finish at the end of the year... At least, thats the impression I've got of them

Bristol.....circa 2004- we had a decent team then. Dammit, theres never a Flux capacitor when you need one

As said above, Gloucester are a good team

Got some fantastic younger players coming through as well, Charlie Sharples and Freddie Burns especially

The rundown:

Leicester - Have a rich history of winning ***les. Many suspect because of "under-hand tactics". Passionate but humourless fans. Great stadium in a horrible city.
Saracens - Current champions. Bloody difficult to beat, can play attractive rugby if they want to. Fans mix from really-really good (old school fez heads) to complete bellends (mostly the recently converted soccer fans). Horrible stadium in a horrible city.

Actually Teh Mite, as a Leicester fan I'll let you know that we have an excellent sense of humour - as long as we're winning!! ;) And it might be a crap city but it's my crap city, no-one else can say so!

Also I've sat in the Shed (part of Gloucester's ground, Nandoss) with some Gloucester fans in a Leicester shirt...wouldn't describe the abuse I got as excellent! Was always running a risk with that though...

I always enjoy it in the Shed, best stand in the league.

It always saddens me when people say that Wuss fans up their own arse. I can't really argue too strongly because on my travels up and down the country following them I have met several fellow fans who are, how should I put it? 'Full of confidence' I think is the politest way of putting it ;) But most of us are ok! We've got realistic expectations for the coming season, we enjoy banter with other fans and try and make them feel welcome! I guess some of the 'full of confidence' fans are a bit more mobile and vocal than the rest of us ;)

Latest posts