• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

He's gone. He's actually bloody gone!

Jake White is the front runner on Skybet. Followed by Eddie Jones.

For the most part that was about as revealing as a half set blancmange.
The only positive to come out of this was the implication that budget was not a factor and the RFU would seek the best available. Let's see who they come up with then we will know whether this was just another piece of PRBS or not.

Has money ever been an issue? The RFU take in three times as much cash as the next nearest Union.

I'm sure he'll walk away with a huge pay off, but I can't help feeling sorry for the bloke. He was way over promoted and simply shouldn't have been near the top job. Having landed it though he gave it his best shot but failed and that's all success at that level is judged on.

Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

As to his successor, whoever it is will want his own back room team so it will be bye bye to Farrell et al. Just their departure terms to be agreed.

Jake White is the front runner on Skybet. Followed by Eddie Jones.

According to skybet, mallinder is. That worries me slightly, as mallinder hasn't filled me with confidence over the last couple of years.

Did he say he HAS to have coached an international side? I only caught the end of it. Rules out Rennie/Smith combo if so :(

Did he say he HAS to have coached an international side? I only caught the end of it. Rules out Rennie/Smith combo if so :(

I thought it was international experience, that also rules out mallinder.

I really think it will be Eddie.

Smith has already said he won't be coaching England

Rennie would be a front runner for the All Blacks coaching team after the 2017 Lions tour when Steve Hansen retires

Smith has already said he won't be coaching England

Rennie would be a front runner for the All Blacks coaching team after the 2017 Lions tour when Steve Hansen retires

Would he turn down a big opportunity for the off chance that NZ come calling in two years time though? It is far from certain he would be their #1 choice.

Just looked on Oddschecker and Michael Cheika is coming in for a fair bit of support.Odds shortening.
I've got a feeling its going to be Eddie Jones.Thats were my tenners going.

I hope that, whoever gets the head coach job, they appoint a couple of English assistants with a view to the '23 World Cup.

I don't understand the line that he has developed and left behind a promising group of young players.

There is certainly a promising group of young players coming through, but very few of them have been picked by Lancaster and the ones who were only latterly and mostly reluctantly.

Most of the players Lancaster has stuck with and 'developed' have either not improved or gone backwards.

Are Robshaw, Farrell, Wood, Barritt, etc better players now after three years of international rugby?

I don't understand the line that he has developed and left behind a promising group of young players.

There is certainly a promising group of young players coming through, but very few of them have been picked by Lancaster and the ones who were only latterly and mostly reluctantly.

Most of the players Lancaster has stuck with and 'developed' have either not improved or gone backwards.

Are Robshaw, Farrell, Wood, Barritt, etc better players now after three years of international rugby?

No but Ford, Brown, Watson, Marker, launchbury, both Vunipolas have

I think Robshaw has improved as a player, but wood barritt etc haven't, for sl to have stuck with barritt and twelvetrees as long has he did when we have quality centres out there like Eastmond, Daly, slade etc who didn't get a look in really

Would he turn down a big opportunity for the off chance that NZ come calling in two years time though? It is far from certain he would be their #1 choice.

I wouldn't rule it out entirely but Rennie to the All Blacks in an assistant role in 2017 would not be an "off chance". You know how much importance the NZRU places on succession plans. Only a fool would believe that they haven't talked to Dave Rennie about his future. If he were to take the England job, I would regard that as a big surprise.

I would also would find that remarkably funny... all four home unions coached by Kiwis, our infiltration of their coaching hierarchy would be complete!!.

He's left behind a decent-ish hand for the next guy but could have left better. Could have left worse too mind. That's Lancaster in a nutshell over most of his reign; coulda done better, coulda done worse. An average coach with an average squad up against the big boys.

I hope he finds something useful to do and that his failure doesn't eat away at him too much.

Latest posts