Higgins snubbed Paris for Exeter

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Rugby returnee Andrew Higgins has declared that he wants to 'have the best season of his life' with Exeter.

Higgins turned his back on early retirement and a life running a restaurant in Paris when he pledged his future to Chiefs even before the club had won promotion to the Guinness Premiership.

The former Bath man faced the media for the first time on Friday and said that the immediate future was the only thing on his mind.

"I have nothing to prove to myself but I want to give myself the best opportunity and to have the best season of my life," he said.

"I came over before the final match and spoke to Rob (Baxter, head coach) and Chiefs seemed like a good set-up. They have been doing some good stuff here. It is a very professional outfit and it felt natural to come on board.

"I had been living in Paris and I had a fantastic time but I felt I could not end my career in the way it had finished. I wanted to come back and give it my best shot.

The entire squad re-grouped for testing and anaerobic games today, just five weeks after Chiefs won the Championship. They have two months until the start of their first season in the top flight.

"It's always a tough season for any side moving up. We have had a meeting this morning and it's not a question of trying to survive, we are going to go out to play," said Higgins.

Baxter was in a similar buoyant mood on the first day back: "As coaching staff we sat in the office this morning with big grins on our faces and the boys have come in with big smiles on their faces ready to work hard. The best thing though is that they have turned up in good shape which means we can progress from today and we will be able to get into some rugby.

"We gave the guys as much of a break off as we could, but time moves on quickly. There are eight weeks before the season starts and that is the shortest pre season we have ever had going into the biggest season we have ever had."
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6241665,00.html

He wants to draw a line in the sand(y park)...

Will be interesting to see how they do this year in the GP. I don't know much about them aside from what I've read recently.

Decent enough outfit, very boring gameplan, fans are nice enough (get a bit touchy about Parachute Payments).

To be fair to Higgins he has obviously turned down a heck of a lot more money to go to Devon. I think Exeter will make a fair bash at the Premiership and will do well.

id love exeter to stay up but i ave a leeds season ticket so someoe else to go down please!
but good for higgins hope he helps exeter alot!

Latest posts