• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

@Scotty

I like the idea too. Think it balances our pack very nicely. That said, whether Tuima has improved enough to even begin justifying selecting him over an international veteran like Gray is another matter.

Another issue thing is that Ross Vintcent looks to have been absolutely carving up at 8 in the 2 Prem Cup games. I know a fair bit about him from uni stuff and he is renowned for being stupidly athletic. Think towards the end of last season he had the second highest vertical jump in the entire Chiefs squad, beaten only by Josh Hodge. He is absolutely rapid and incredibly dynamic. Would be a very like-for-like replacement for Simmonds and I could absolutely see him leapfrogging Fisilau soon (if he already hasn't? Would've thought Fisilau would have been involved in the last 2 games if he was the front runner).

@Scotty

I like the idea too. Think it balances our pack very nicely. That said, whether Tuima has improved enough to even begin justifying selecting him over an international veteran like Gray is another matter.

Another issue thing is that Ross Vintcent looks to have been absolutely carving up at 8 in the 2 Prem Cup games. I know a fair bit about him from uni stuff and he is renowned for being stupidly athletic. Think towards the end of last season he had the second highest vertical jump in the entire Chiefs squad, beaten only by Josh Hodge. He is absolutely rapid and incredibly dynamic. Would be a very like-for-like replacement for Simmonds and I could absolutely see him leapfrogging Fisilau soon (if he already hasn't? Would've thought Fisilau would have been involved in the last 2 games if he was the front runner).
Know nothing about Ross Vincent, theres a vid on an Italian u20 back row called that and he's rapid. He him he looks good and guessing he will fill out then i have no issue investing in a ypung player at the start of our rebuild.

Its a great point on Grey, its a tough on because Grey doesnt miss tackles, lineout option and all reound very good experienced international player.

Balance though
Jenkins Tuima work
With Vermeulen Vincent Tshiunza

I think Tuima will come off the bench at 19 though.

Very athletic back row with Vermuelen and Tuima as strong carriers and almost all ypung so can get better, not saying it will click roght away. What is Jenkins USP? I cant work that out, gets through alot of work though.

Know nothing about Ross Vincent, theres a vid on an Italian u20 back row called that and he's rapid. He him he looks good and guessing he will fill out then i have no issue investing in a ypung player at the start of our rebuild.
Yep, that's him. Believe he was born and raised in South Africa and has some Italian heritage so played U20s for them before coming to England to attend Exeter Uni and has signed with Chiefs off the back of that. I do think he's one to get excited about.
Very athletic back row with Vermuelen and Tuima as strong carriers and almost all ypung so can get better, not saying it will click roght away. What is Jenkins USP? I cant work that out, gets through alot of work though.
I wouldn't really say he has one. Just an all round very solid performer in all aspects of the game.

Think you're forgetting Roots a bit as well who Baxter seems to rate highly, having given him captaincy for the Pirates game. I'd expect that right now his ideal loose five would be:
4. Gray
5. Jenkins
6. Roots
7. Tshiunza
8. Vermeulen

While Gray recovers and Jenkins + Tshiunza are unavailable I think we'll be looking at:

4. Tuima
5. Dunne
6. Roots
7. Vermeulen
8. Capstick/Vintcent

Yep, that's him. Believe he was born and raised in South Africa and has some Italian heritage so played U20s for them before coming to England to attend Exeter Uni and has signed with Chiefs off the back of that. I do think he's one to get excited about.

I wouldn't really say he has one. Just an all round very solid performer in all aspects of the game.

Think you're forgetting Roots a bit as well who Baxter seems to rate highly, having given him captaincy for the Pirates game. I'd expect that right now his ideal loose five would be:
4. Gray
5. Jenkins
6. Roots
7. Tshiunza
8. Vermeulen

While Gray recovers and Jenkins + Tshiunza are unavailable I think we'll be looking at:

4. Tuima
5. Dunne
6. Roots
7. Vermeulen
8. Capstick/Vintcent
I know absolutly zero about roots if im honest. Forgot Dunne is still here too tbh. Have we got a current breakdown of our squad by position anywhere? Im totally out of the loop.

Im just glad there are positives after all outour big guns left at once. The team we cpuld make put of leavers from the last 2 seasons wpuld be insane i bet.

Moon LCD William
Kirstan Williams
Ewers Simmonds Leatherbarrow
Maunder Simmonds
Kata S O'Brian
Whitten Hogg Nowell

This is off topic i know but damn this is just from this season. That 15 is prety damn strong.

Have we got a current breakdown of our squad by position anywhere?
HK: Frost, Yeandle, Innard, Harris, Norey, Burrows, Hocking

LP: Abuladze, Sio, Hepburn, Keast, Southworth, Kenny, Morris
LP/TP: Iosefa-Scott
TP: Painter, Schickerling, Street, Richardson, Johnson

LK: Gray, Jenkins, Dunne, O'Connor, Teague, Bailey, Bell
LK/BR: Tshiunza, Capstick, Tuima, Pearson
BR: Vermeulen, Roots, Davis, Vintcent, Fisilau, Grubb

SH: Maunder, Townsend, Cairns, James
SH/FH: Becconsall
FH: Skinner, Haydon-Wood, Jenkins

CE: Slade, Hawkins, Devoto, Hendrickson, Wimbush, Ribbons, McCaig, Gentry
CE/WG: O'Loughlin
WG: Woodburn, Feyi-Waboso, Relton
WG/FB: Hodge, Hammersley, Joseland, Nowell
CE/WG/FB: Wyatt, John

Dual-registered in Italics

Senior Academy in Bold

HK: Frost, Yeandle, Innard, Harris, Norey, Burrows, Hocking

LP: Abuladze, Sio, Hepburn, Keast, Southworth, Kenny, Morris
LP/TP: Iosefa-Scott
TP: Painter, Schickerling, Street, Richardson, Johnson

LK: Gray, Jenkins, Dunne, O'Connor, Teague, Bailey, Bell
LK/BR: Tshiunza, Capstick, Tuima, Pearson
BR: Vermeulen, Roots, Davis, Vintcent, Fisilau, Grubb

SH: Maunder, Townsend, Cairns, James
SH/FH: Becconsall
FH: Skinner, Haydon-Wood, Jenkins

CE: Slade, Hawkins, Devoto, Hendrickson, Wimbush, Ribbons, McCaig, Gentry
CE/WG: O'Loughlin
WG: Woodburn, Feyi-Waboso, Relton
WG/FB: Hodge, Hammersley, Joseland, Nowell
CE/WG/FB: Wyatt, John

Dual-registered in Italics

Senior Academy in Bold
Scrum halfs a tough one, SMaunder is good but not great but the 2 younger, Beaconsall and Cairns seem like they have alot of potential, maybe not ready. I have alot of time for Townsend as he can be class but blows abit hot and cold. Not sure what we will do.

Seen the younger guys getting more gametime Cairns and Armstrong(not sure who that is) for the prem cup games.

Scrum halfs a tough one, SMaunder is good but not great but the 2 younger, Beaconsall and Cairns seem like they have alot of potential, maybe not ready. I have alot of time for Townsend as he can be class but blows abit hot and cold. Not sure what we will do.

Seen the younger guys getting more gametime Cairns and Armstrong(not sure who that is) for the prem cup games.
Cairns is the one I'm excited about. A real livewire and got a very crisp pass. Think he'll climb the ranks this season.

Armstrong is a current Exeter uni student. Not officially involved with Chiefs but filling in. Doubt he'll pick up a contract seeing as we already have 3 9s in the senior academy (although he is better than Orson James IMO).

Kofi Barton-Byfield is the Exeter Uni player I'd really like to see us sign up.

Cairns is the one I'm excited about. A real livewire and got a very crisp pass. Think he'll climb the ranks this season.

Armstrong is a current Exeter uni student. Not officially involved with Chiefs but filling in. Doubt he'll pick up a contract seeing as we already have 3 9s in the senior academy (although he is better than Orson James IMO).

Kofi Barton-Byfield is the Exeter Uni player I'd really like to see us sign up.
When ive seen him play Cairns, he's definitely a live wire but also guilty of over doing it(comes from lack of experience) i hope he comes good this season as a impact player from the bench.

No idea who Barton-Byfields is, if im honest im completely out of the loop on everything atm

Josh Hodge needs surgery on his elbow, no timeframe given on recover.

Not ideal start to the season.

Shame, still, looking forward to Tshiunza and Jenkins starting soon. I do like the look of Feyi-Waboso as well so hopefully he plays a lot this year too.

Looking forward to seeing Jenkins Tshiunza Hawkins Hodge all back in the team

Exeter saying they've sold out the stadium for the first time. Great news considering the crowds have been disappointing last year or so. Mad to think they were looking at expanding to 20k at one point.

Supposedly we're close - three stands sold out and like 1k left in the final one
God help the people driving, it's bad enough on a good day let alone last Friday before Xmas and with chaos on the roads/trains cause of the wind yesterday

Latest posts