• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How far can you place kick?

S

Steve-o

Decided to buy me a kicking tee just for fun as I haven't even attempted to play any form of rugby, let alone place kick, in the 3 years since my rugby ending injury.

Good news is, I still got it B)

Had about a 50% success rate overall, from kicking all around the park. Nailed a few from the side (same position the kicker would take if a try was scored in the corner)

But I was particularly chuffed when I banged one over comfortably about 38m out, in line with the posts (no wind). After that one I pulled my thigh muscle slightly, so I stopped for the day. But I have no doubt I could get a 40m over. I have to add that I'm kicking at altitude.

What's your guys place kicking like?

40 metres always used to be about my limit when I was striking the ball well. Never been the biggest kicker of a ball but I used to be fairly accurate. Haven't practiced in a while though so were I to take my tee out tomorrow it could go anywhere.

A couple of years back my limit was 50m with both place and drop kick, but I'd get maybe 1 out of every 3 attempts...bloody accuracy! But now I'd be lucky to do that from the 40. Don't kick much at all anymore.

In terms of almost perfect accuracy back then...35.

I'll never get back to that lol.

Leave the kicking to the backs me thinks.

Haha, same boat, i got myself a kicking tea a couple of months back. I used to play stand off for my school, and i was a bit younger and weaker so could only kick from about 30-35m. But i was accurate. Since i started using this bloody tea again i might get about 1 in 3, but i can kick it from almost the half way line with drop goals and a little shorter with place kicks. I did a few accidental grubbers, some of the hits were so bad :lol: Its easy to exagerate in these sort of threads but although i was a good kicker when i was younger i was never a 90% man like some people might try to make themselves out to be. :)

Yeah, hence my 1 out of 3 lol.

Its so hard to be consistent from long distances...I suppose because you're trying to swing your leg harder which puts out the correct path for accuracy.

i find it good fun to muck around with a tee. although i can only get one from dead in frount 22m out.

but locks shouldnt kick for goal anyway so it doesnt matter. and john can go and get f***ed.

knocked one over from about 50m once, but that must have been a fluke though as i'm about as accurate as a reading test for the blind

My best effort was about 33m out. My typical distance is 25m or a couple over. Accuracy? Don't ask.

ive punted a few from about 37m out, distance with ease, just direction im crap at lol, i can punt the ball a mile by toe hacking it lol

Yeah my limit with a tee would be about 35m. Funny though, I can land a drop kick from about 45m and used to almost crack 50m. It's weird 'cos my drop kicks are both more accurate and powerful than either my punt or place kick so if I were to play now, I would be drop kicking from inside my 22 for a clearance kick rather than punt it lol.

It's all technique, was quite handy at school till did my knee in, got a couple of wind assisted 50m attempts, could comfortably do 40m (equivalent to a kick from sideline on 22m line).

mine is about as far as my hands will let me. I dont have 30m hands i dont know how you guys can place a kick that far away o_O

I would be lucky to get it 5 metres through the air....drop kicking around 2 metres....blooding prop training :p

EDIT:Now that I think about it, one time it went much longer then that, when the opposition dropkicked it at point blank range into my forehead, I don't remember much of it but was told it was off like a rocket :p

IM a lock so john eales here lol. practised a bit and got 40m maybe 42-43. one story i have.. in the trial match, everyone wanted to kick, i chose to kick, on the sideline, everyone in my team and in the crowd thought id just roll it on the ground.. turns out i kicked it, made the distance and swerved in. No one cud believe it lol, but the touchjudge didnt give it, looked in though..

Went out today and got it over from 42m out.
Not consistently, only about 1/3 as well.

Went out today and got it over from 42m out.
Not consistently, only about 1/3 as well.

I once kicked a conversion from the touchline on tour in Amsterdam after having no sleep for 2 days. Surely that was an impressive kick. By the way i was also wearing sun glasses.

I remember i got a 50m kick once and it was phenomenal. It was a trials match (1sts against 2nds) at my uni and our first and 2nd choice kicker was playing for the 1sts, so i stepped up and took it. Heavily wind assissted i grant you, but it went over comfortably.
I was nominated and elected as twat of the match for being so cocky about it and had to down a pint with an egg (without shell) floating inside.

I'm comfortable kicking 35-40m, and they usually go over the bar quite comfortably, however, if i go back any further i just end up screwing up the shot. I know it's psychological and that i compromise my technique for power, but i just can't kick passed 40 metres.
Hence the reason i f*** up touchline kicks so much. I suck at those bad boys.
Accuracy is strictly on a 50/50 basis.

I do use the Dan Carter kicking tee that i got from work and we all know using that is having an unfair advantage, right?! :p

Latest posts