• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ideal lineups.

I can't believe Jerome Kaino left so early. I guess it's best to go out with a huge motherflippin' bang like he did, but still. I will forever remember him destroying everyone in the 2011 RWC. I remember in the semi against Australia when Digby Ioane cut through most of the team until he reached Kaino, bam!

Gatland/Howley Special:

01 Jenkins
02 Rees
03 JonesAR
04 JonesAW
05 Charteris
06 Lydiate
07 Warburton
08 Jones
09 Phillips
10 Priestland
11 North
12 Roberts
13 Davies
14 Cuthbert
15 Halfpenny

16 Owens
17 James
18 Jarvis
19 Evans
20 JonesRP
21 Knoyle
22 Hook
23 WilliamsS

Wow! Excellent report mate. Users like you make me want to get closer to rugby, and start learning with you. Thank you very much.

De nada.

I really like Goosen at 10 for SA. even though I like Lambie too and showed promise.

Should be some way to accommodate for both. Maybe the way NZ shuffles/rotates 9s? Seems to work ok.

Don't see Lambie as en effective/dangerous international fullback. And Goosen is most effective driving the ship.

Yeah, I think Goosen has the most potential. He has the best pass of the 3, the biggest boot for hopefully finding space at the back or clearing our line rather than those pointless up-and-unders and speed and willingness to take on the line. In school his defense was actually a strong point but early indications are that he is very intimidated ITO his tackling at SR and test levels.

Lambie and Jantjies are great back-ups which will come in handy seeing as Goosen gets injured every other game. The sad part is Lambie is not at all as far ahead of the others simply because he has been shifted about to make room for Michalak and M Steyn. With M Steyn being out of favor (finally!) and Michalak moving back to France Lambie should get a decent run at 10 for the Sharks particularly seeing as they have SA's form 15 in Ludik there with good back-up in Riaan Viljoen and F Steyn at a pinch.

I can't believe Jerome Kaino left so early. I guess it's best to go out with a huge motherflippin' bang like he did, but still. I will forever remember him destroying everyone in the 2011 RWC. I remember in the semi against Australia when Digby Ioane cut through most of the team until he reached Kaino, bam!

Yeah - it's a shame as we really miss him. Was in the form of his life too. In 2009-2010 we weren't even sure he should be our starting blindside (I thought he should - but I certainly didn't predict the form he'd get too). Now we really miss him. Apparently he wants to return before the next RWC - just wish he stayed for a bit longer and then took a sabatical.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Sam Whitelock (although I'm tempted to put Ali Williams, the way these selectors are)
6. Victor Vito (I think Vito, when he hits top form, is what the selectors see in the long term, going off of recent comments)
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Piri Weepu
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea/Hosea Gear (Gear hasn't played a blinder for the ABs yet, but if/when he does, I think he might give Savea a run for his money)
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Israel Dagg

16. Andrew Hore
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Ben Franks
19. Ali Williams
20. Liam Messam
21. TJ Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Richard Kahui (Could have been in the starting XV, but it's hard to know his absolute best as he's constantly plagued with injuries)

Last edited:
I wish people would give up on Gear. He's not Rico and he never will be. He shows glimpses but I feel he's like Sony Bill Williams in his first year of rugby, big but doesn't use it much. Most of the time he kind of slows down in the tackle and acts like a fairy. Too afraid to show any aggression. Savea really hammers people and uses his size.

I wish people would give up on Gear. He's not Rico and he never will be. He shows glimpses but I feel he's like Sony Bill Williams in his first year of rugby, big but doesn't use it much. Most of the time he kind of slows down in the tackle and acts like a fairy. Too afraid to show any aggression. Savea really hammers people and uses his size.

Him and Rico are completely different players. But, Rico was a fairly late bloomer as well.

Hosea Gear doesn't bust through tackles the same way SBW does. SBW uses pure brute force, whereas Gear tends to let players get a hold of him first before shrugging them off. Probably why he 'acts like a fairy' in the tackle, he's got a different technique to breaking tackles, but I've seen him somehow slip through about three tacklers before. Just because he's big doesn't mean he has to be a absolute brute.

Umm. I don't even know where to start. He's a very different player from Rico. Hosea is much more of a dangerous line breaker in my opinion. Doesn't smash people? Have seen him at all for the Highlanders? He makes some pretty massive hits which often becomes try saving tackles. As for not smashing people with ball in hand - any youtube reel will show that's clearly not the case.

Defense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtqsrKs6jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeqZ1z6bBEM

Attack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBk6PjwsILA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Jhe2gMT1c

There's abviously a lot more - I could link tribute videos etc. The point being is that he's actually probably the most physical defender in the All Blacks backline when he's on. I'm not a huge fan of how he is used for the Highlanders as he's not given any space - but I certianly don't think 'fairy' is an accurate or educated comment to make about him. I like Savea and think he's probably the first choice wing on form - but there really isn't much in it.

Yeah he became our best loose forward, outplaying McCaw and Read that year. I think him and Thorn were the main difference that made last years team better than this years team. Not only was he a strong ball carrier he was also a strong defender and was able to blow oppositions out of rucks.

We really missed him this year, imo he was one of the reason why McCaw was still outplaying Pocock last year, (of course our whole forward pack as well deserves mentioning) but whenever Pocock was getting ready to steal our ball at the breakdown, youll get Kaino in there with the help of Read blowing him out.

Guess hes achieved the highest in winning a world cup, he wants to make money to support his family so good on him, haha would have been good to see him playing in the abs jersey.

Savea really hammers people and uses his size.

Anyone see Savea get a cut ball from Carter and ran straight into Manu. Manu came off second best.

Last edited:
would like to see anyone's opinion on Australia?... as they have so many injuries and have a lot of controversy etc atm...

Oz top squad would look close to...

1 Alexander
2 Moore
3 Robinson
4 Horwill
5 Sharpe (though of course he is retiring now...)
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Barnes
13 Ashley-Cooper
14 O'Connor
15 Beale
16 Polota-Nau
17 Kepu
18 Slipper
19 Timani
20 Hooper
21 Phipps
22 McCabe
23 Mitchell

Gatland's top Wales side-

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Danny Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau

9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Priestland
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Richard Hibbard
17. Paul James
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Ryan Jones
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Tavis Knoyle
22. James Hook
23. Scott Williams

I'd swap Rees for Hibbard, Biggar for Priestland, and I want Tipuric playing, because he's the best player in the world. If on form as well, I'd have Morgan Stoddart at 23.

Wales:

15. Lee Byrne (Clermont)
14. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues)
13. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)
12. Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues)
11. George North (Scarlets)
10. James Hook (USA Perpignan)
9. Mike Phillips (Olimpique Bayonnais)

1. Gethin Jenkins (RC Toulon)
2. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys)
3. Adam Jones (Ospreys)
4. Luke Charteris ( USA Perpignan)
5. Alyn-Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
6. Danny Lydiate (NEWPORTgwent Dragons)
7. Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues)
8. Gareth Delve (Melbourne Rebels)

England:-

1. Sheridan (Toulon)
2. Hartley (Saints)
3. Cole (leicester)
4. Parling (Leicester)
5. Launchbury (Wasps)
6. Armitage
7. Wood
8. Morgan

9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Strettle/ Sharples
12. Barritt
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Corbisiero
17. Youngs
18. Botha
19. Croft
20. Haskell
21. Care
22. Burns
22. Brown

I'll give the France one a shot:

1. Forestier
2. Swarzeski
3. Mas
4. Pape
5. Maestri
6. Dusatoir
7. Ouedraogo
8. Picamoles
9. Parra
10. Michalak
11. Palisson
12. Mermoz
13. Fofana
14. Clerc
15. Medard

16-18. Clermont Front row
19. Suta
20. Nyanga
21. Machenaud
22. Trinh-Duc
23. Dulin/Huget

Doing this for France is kind of hard. Apparently, no room for Yachvili or Rougerie.

South Africa
1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismark Du Plessis
3. Jannie Du Plessis/ Dean Greyling . . . jokes
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Andries Bekker
6. Schalk Burger
7. Juan Smith
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Johan Goosen
11. Bryan Habana
12. Francois Steyn
13. Jacque Fourie
14. JP Pietersen
15. Patrick Lambie
16. Adriaan Strauss
17. Coenie Oosthuizen
18. Juandre Kruger
19. Francois Louw
20. Francois Hougaard
21. Juan de Jongh
22. Jaco Taute

Last edited:
Oz top squad would look close to...

1 Alexander
2 Moore
3 Robinson
4 Horwill
5 Sharpe (though of course he is retiring now...)
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 Palu
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Barnes
13 Ashley-Cooper
14 O'Connor
15 Beale
16 Polota-Nau
17 Kepu
18 Slipper
19 Timani
20 Hooper
21 Phipps
22 McCabe
23 Mitchell

Sorry but, given this
EDIT:This is not about personal taste. This is about to "go inside" the mind of the current coaches and think what would be the ideal lineup for them if all players were in top condition, both physically and on the field.

Australia ideal line-up would be:

1 Pat McCabe
2 Pat McCabe
3 Ben Alexander
4 Pat McCabe
5 Pat McCabe
6 Pat McCabe
7 David Pocock
8 Pat McCabe
9 Nick Phipps
10 Pat McCabe
11 Pat McCabe
12 Pat McCabe
13 Pat McCabe
14 Pat McCabe
15 Pat McCabe

16 Pat McCabe
17 Pat McCabe
18 Pat McCabe
19 Pat McCabe
20 Dave Dennis
21 Pat McCabe
22 Berrick Barnes
23 Pat McCabe

Not the most creative side, but a bit tough. :D

Being serious... I think Dingo can take home something in terms of selection from this troublesome year!

1 Benn Robinson
2 Stephen Moore
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Kane Douglas
5 James Horwill
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock
8 Wycliff Palu
9 Will Genia
10 QC
11 Digby Ioane
12 Ben Tapuai
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 James O'Connor
15 Kurtley Beale

16 TPN
17 Ben Alexander
18 Dan Palmer
19 Sitaleki Timani/Rob Simmons (on top form, the first for phisicality, the second for lineouts)
20 Michael Hooper
21 Nick Phipps
22 Berrick Barnes
23 Nick Cummins (he's been better than anyone in the winger spot this year, much better than Ioane too)/Drew Mitchell

Some choice can be different, it's hard to leave out Michael Hooper, you can switch Pocock at blindside, but lineouts would be significantly affected without Higginbotham (or a jumper n.6).

Tapuai can be a great option at 12, Quade Cooper at the moment, is the only 10 who can create something from nothing. With Genia before and Tapuai outside him he's really a VA to that team.

Last edited:

Latest posts