If you could buy a club...

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
... which would iy be and why?

I want to hear it all; the emotional response and/or the pragmatism. This is of course Top 14 and Pro D2 (but I don't want to limit your dreams!).

oh boy, this is just the thread for me isn't it...I'd like to buy.............the Saracens, so I could make them play the Crusaders (the other team I buy) a few times per year upon my desire. I'd get one heck of a historically-flavored fixture on paper, and two really good teams on the field at my disposal.

Top 14 wise, I'd like to buy either of Castres or Bordeaux-Bègles. They can be super entertaining, and would benefit tremendously from keeping the same current core and adding just the right pieces and elements to make them really scary good. Problem with Castres is the neighbor Toulouse could never forgive me for it, and problem with Bordeaux is if I live there I'll fuccking die of wine overdose, a way of dying I'll have invented.

Saracens vs Crusaders, Ha! Havn't considered that before.

I've also considered Bodeaux in my dreams. Them, RM92 and La Rochelle. Of course I don't really have the 'base of knowledge' at all to actually make an informed choice (as if there is a choice to be made here.. but one should be allowed to dream).

I'd love a team based in the Champagne region but I suppose RM92 is close enough. I've been hugely impressed by both La Rochelle and Bordeaux especially as 'smaller clubs' and well, RM92 has been a ***** of a lover to climb in bed with ITO the style of rugby they play but I love the history, the colors/identity and the contemporary architecture of La Defense and of course there is the whole 'foreigner's intrigue' RE Paris.

If I were to look outside France it'd probably be in the Netherlands in Gelderland ('ancestral home') simply because in SA privatization probably won't be a reality anytime soon. I could import Afrikaans player en masse and be centrally located for whatever form of Euro cup (pity Heineken isn't sponsoring anymoe). We'd play in black and gold and be known as the 'Gelderland Jagters' and a hunting horn would be blown before any kick off or restart at home.

Last edited:
if i had the money to buy a club i wouldn't buy a club i would set up a third team in scotland.

but if i had to buy a team it be toulon, i would do so much

if i had the money to buy a club i wouldn't buy a club i would set up a third team in scotland.

but if i had to buy a team it be toulon, i would do so much

Fair enough on the first. Have you imagined what form the team would take, base, players etc?

Biting off RCT, hey. AND AND And saying you would do so much, implying more than they;re doing right now!?! Wow, I like a man whoo can dream big!

He wants to buy a nightclub so he can get off with all the young ladies. Is that clearer?

Copperface Jack's is a nightclub in Dublin. It's full of teenagers, culchies, teachers and Gardaí. For sophisticated club goers like myself (read hipsters) it's not a great old spot.

I'd buy Munster and keep them at a level where they always thought they had an outside chance of winning something, but never really had the quality to challenge the big boys. Just enough for them to have hope that'd be crushed over and over again.

Essentially I'd keep them where they've been for the last 5 years or so :p

I'd buy either AS Béziers Hérault or Marseille Vitrolles (If they still exist). I would love to turn AS Béziers Hérault around and make them a successful club in the Top 14 again winning ***les. For a build the club foundations etc I would buy Marseille Vitrolles who once had the great Jonah Lomu in their mix.

i would start my own club, buy some land, clubhouse massive bbq and just play in the lower regions :)

Copperface Jack's is a nightclub in Dublin. It's full of teenagers, culchies, teachers and Gardaí. For sophisticated club goers like myself (read hipsters) it's not a great old spot.

I'd buy Munster and keep them at a level where they always thought they had an outside chance of winning something, but never really had the quality to challenge the big boys. Just enough for them to have hope that'd be crushed over and over again.

Essentially I'd keep them where they've been for the last 5 years or so :p

I've heard so many goddamn stories about Coppers... Still haven't seen it for myself though, no one would go the times I've been in Dublin

I would buy Toulon and immediately pay the Blues to take Halfpenny back. Then I'd sell the club.

I've heard so many goddamn stories about Coppers... Still haven't seen it for myself though, no one would go the times I've been in Dublin

I would buy Toulon and immediately pay the Blues to take Halfpenny back. Then I'd sell the club.

Sadly I'm not 19 yet so it's access denied...... Sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
the club I currently coach.

I'd buy them land in the surrounding Paris area. One main pitch (with a two hundred seater stand), one training pitch (4g), set up a proper clubhouse and training facility for them (decent gym below the stand for bad weather training - proper whiteboard room and the kit needed).

They'd be allowed to rent the facilities out to other teams for small amounts and no mortgage and loans would hopefully make them completely self sufficient.

The ground would be named after my son, and condition is that if the club ever want to sell the ground the money would come back to the family.

I would probably go for Lyon Olympique Universitaire and make them into a real contender of French rugby. They already have a good stadium and is an attractive place to get players. Start of by getting a few of the welsh guys like Tipuric, Wyn-Jones pretty much the guys still over there, then go for second rate Kiwis and Boks give it a year and sack the manager when he doesn't win the Top 14. Easy Peasy.

I would probably go for Lyon Olympique Universitaire and make them into a real contender of French rugby. They already have a good stadium and is an attractive place to get players. Start of by getting a few of the welsh guys like Tipuric, Wyn-Jones pretty much the guys still over there, then go for second rate Kiwis and Boks give it a year and sack the manager when he doesn't win the Top 14. Easy Peasy.

Lemon squeezy. And Lyon already have fairly big bucks:

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 10.21.55 PM.png

Moyenne=Average

The trouble with that is you'd become enormous and would eventually burst if you don't die of a heart-attack before that. As the cliché goes, Lyon is commonly recognized as the capital of gastronomy here.

See they're miles below the average !!!!!!!

:D

But about what you were saying up there, get some Welsh guys, kiwis...it's reminiscent of the stereotypical XV in Rugby today, in the Top 14 or other structures that allow a mixed contingent:

one prop is French, the other Georgian, hooker can be anything - your second rowers are Saffers - your flankers anything - your no.8 is a Pac Islander - your 9 is anything - your 10 is English - your wingers are Fijian - your centers anything - fullback from a 6N country.

Heh, seems to be the formula loosely based on the Top 14 and a bit of what I've seen around.

Latest posts