• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Immigrating to a better life (Or trying to anyway...)

The logical thing would be to go to Europe, adequately safe and he can live and get a job with his UK passport just about anywhere, however Aust and NZ he will have to go through various immigration procedures which will be a pain in the ass and if he doesn't like the place it may not even be worth it.[/b]

Very good point... Maybe i should learn French... :p
[/b]
Have you thought about The Nederlands? Afrikaans is 70% similar to Dutch. I'm assuming you know Afrikaans, being a vaalie and all lol

<div class='quotemain'>
Arguably the reason many people from ALL countries decide to move abroad.
[/b]

Yeah I suppose but NZ is losing a lot of educated people at a staggering rate which they cannot afford. For example, I do engineering (scraping by lol) and only about 20% of the graduates from our department on average stay and work in NZ.
[/b][/quote]

Really? Are you doing engineering at UC? I want to do engineering next year, but dont know if i should go to Canterbury or Auckland

Yep, Jo'burg was part of Transvaal. They invade the beaches on the east coast every summer so the name stuck, especially since they invade the beach with jeans and fancy shoes on :D

Yep, Jo'burg was part of Transvaal. They invade the beaches on the east coast every summer so the name stuck, especially since they invade the beach with jeans and fancy shoes on [/b]

Well the Cape Tonians (Not KZN - cause they are nice even though they raid the shopping centers here in winter with board-shorts and plakkies...) Think the sun shines out of their asses... They ask me, how can you live there? There is no mountain??? I just ignore them. Hate the arrogance of those ********.

Anyway, I am very fluent in Afr as i went to an Afr highschool (Middelburg Hoerskool) so yeah, english by preference, and afr by schooling. Maybe Holland would be nice. :)

Anyway, I am very fluent in Afr as i went to an Afr highschool (Middelburg Hoerskool) so yeah, english by preference, and afr by schooling. Maybe Holland would be nice. :)[/b]
I expect to see you on 'Weed TV' within the year! (not that I am endorsing drugs that is, but you know the Dutch, they love the stuff)

I expect to see you on 'Weed TV' within the year! (not that I am endorsing drugs that is, but you know the Dutch, they love the stuff)[/b]

Ha Ha. Yeah maybe hey. I heard that Dubai is apparently the place to be in. No taxes, and huge salaries as the place just has cash to burn. How hard is it to get to one of those places with European citizenship? Anyone been there?

Yep, Jo'burg was part of Transvaal. They invade the beaches on the east coast every summer so the name stuck, especially since they invade the beach with jeans and fancy shoes on [/b]

Well the Cape Tonians (Not KZN - cause they are nice even though they raid the shopping centers here in winter with board-shorts and plakkies...) Think the sun shines out of their asses... They ask me, how can you live there? There is no mountain??? I just ignore them. Hate the arrogance of those ********.

Anyway, I am very fluent in Afr as i went to an Afr highschool (Middelburg Hoerskool) so yeah, english by preference, and afr by schooling. Maybe Holland would be nice. :) [/b]
Oh ya, Cape Tonians, those fellas... They treat everybody like tourists lol. See, I do have a good reason why I give the WP guys a little more stick :p .
Apparently Holland is a region within The Nederlands? But anyway I heard there are many dialects with The Nederland, my 2nd cousin was a nanny there for a few years and she says some Cities near the south of the country have a dialect very similar to Afrikaans. Everybody there has a Boksburg tan so you should fit right in... Just kidding! Not sure what TV industry is like there though.

Everybody there has a Boksburg tan so you should fit right in[/b]

Oi, I'm in JHB for work! I come from Middelburg, which is at least 200km from here! :p
[/b]
Lol oh ok. I was actually born in Rustenburg and moved to the coast before I turned1, so just take most of my vaalie comments with a pinch of salt

Lol oh ok. I was actually born in Rustenburg and moved to the coast before I turned1, so just take most of my vaalie comments with a pinch of salt
[/b]

Well at least over here you can breathe without drowning in moist air... :blink:

Can't think of a better one. The KZN coast is just better. Hey wait, didn't it get washed away recently? AGAIN? :huh:

[/b]

Well at least over here you can breathe without drowning in moist air... :blink:

Can't think of a better one. The KZN coast is just better. Hey wait, didn't it get washed away recently? AGAIN? :huh:
[/b]
You sicko a person died! And that south coast anyway, I stay on the north coast near Richards Bay B)

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
With a UK passport you can actually go to any of the EU countries.
[/b]
I think he wants to move to a country where he can understand the language. >_> [/b][/quote]

And so what? Is learning forbidden?
[/b][/quote]
No, but learning a different language can take a lot of time. I assume Jericho wants to move and settle in immediately, not after months of learning French or Spanish etc.. No need to get testy. [/b][/quote]
I guess he's in production, so technical skills are what matter.

Sorry, guys. Everyone speaka da inglese now - but english speakers better get used to working and living in countries that actually PRODUCE things and not just crap financial products spewed out by too many lawyers and business heads.

Well, I worked in NZ as a Belgian citizen.
I would also like to move their and stay there, on the other hand as a foreigner it's very hard to get any decent social welfare ( maybe for common wealth citizens it's slightely different).

But I'm thinking of going back next year, maybe stay there for a year or 2 and then just see.

So i just got a reply from the emigrate to New Zealand representatives. Apparently i have a very good chance of getting permanent residency there. :) So now all i gotta do is pay a fortune for them to find me a decent job in my profession. lol. Anyone in the TV industry in NZ dwelling the forums? :p

sorry, mate, no idea about TV industry.

But I'm returning to NZ next month after 16 years working in uk. taking my English wife and 4 kids with me. I think the culture shock will be...shocking.

GL. I don't know where you are now, but it cost us mucho pounds to get residency for my wife. Kids got NZ passports, which cost much less but multiplied by four! and they are only 5 year passports :(

GL. I don't know where you are now, but it cost us mucho pounds to get residency for my wife. Kids got NZ passports, which cost much less but multiplied by four! and they are only 5 year passports [/b]

Yeah, tell me about it. The quotes they gave for my gf and i were R 39 000 ($ 4875.00 US). Which aint that bad. But thats through an agency. If you do it without the emigration lawyers and services it's much cheaper.

It was said earlier how somebody from South Africa with a Brit passport would naturally prefer UK to rest of Europe due to language difficulties, so I thought I'd chime in here coz maybe it's not common knowledge all around the world that English is pretty much a second native language in many northern European countries such as Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark or the Netherlands.
Can't say for sure about Germany as I know some German and thus haven't used much English with these guys, but they should be okay too. Even here in Poland it's not that bad with young people, don't try talking English to the grannies though coz they didn't have it at school, they had Russian.
And Europe in general, I'd say communicating in English could be a hassle in the southern countries like Spain or Italy, and it's absolutely pointless trying to do it in France, these guys are just so crazy about their language they don't see how they'd need to learn another.
Other than that though most of Europe speaks your language, dear South Africans, and you could easily get by learning just a couple words of any local tongue if you don't feel like studying it I think.

Latest posts