• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Immigrating to a better life (Or trying to anyway...)

NEVER go to Adelaide unless you want to commit suicide from depression. [/b]

Idiot Adelaide is great don't listen to BLR he is a moron. :p

Don't live in the northern suburbs and you should be fine. :)

Northern Suburbs is almost as bad as where you come from. :p

Well, My family and I immigrated to NZ nearly 8 years ago. Its a great country but they do like to crap on about themselves sometimes :p . I came from Pietermaritzburg and now live in Hamilton. They're pretty similar: quiet, small cities, both have a river through the middle (you can't get cholera, meningitis AIDS etc from the Waikato River though :lol: ).
You'll be amazed at how clean and organised everything is over here. At roadworks sites for example, the workers are actually all working. It takes 3 guys to accomplish here in an hour what takes the government in SA to do with 20 men in 3 days!
I can't comment on availability of jobs in television as I simply don't know enough.

*SIGH* The Wales thing might actually not be a bad consideration. It's only the size of The Kruger National Park here in South Africa, but hopefully has less baboons... :rolleyes:

But seriously, Aus and NZ seem like really nice places, but it's so darn difficult to find work in the TV industry. Even though in terms of size, the TV industry is larger than any other industry on the planet, it just is not recognized as a "working" industry. People just think TV is there and works... Especially here in SA!

Ideally, America is the place to be for me. My ultimate goal would be to get into sound design for Games. I mean can you imagine how cool it must be? Salaries in gaming are also very good, with top end sound guys earning in excess of $75 000 a year. Which is pretty attractive to me. But America is the same mission to get into... Curse my being born in the world's largest toilet! :wall:

Yes, but you'll realise how much you love that toilet when you leave[/b]

I know. Bit of a catch 22 i guess. But it's my family i have to think of. Getting married next year, and ultimately, i want them to have a safe and good life. Which i'm afraid is very hard to achieve in South Africa.

I know. Bit of a catch 22 i guess. But it's my family i have to think of. Getting married next year, and ultimately, i want them to have a safe and good life. Which i'm afraid is very hard to achieve in South Africa. [/b]

Yeah fair enough....S.A is just getting too unsafe.

Well as a Kiwi I would recommend Australia ahead of my own country. Kiwis can have a bit of an inferiority complex whilst Aussies tend to think they can do anything. Better loking women in Aus who are more open about guys....but you are married so that kills that one.

<div class='quotemain'>

I know. Bit of a catch 22 i guess. But it's my family i have to think of. Getting married next year, and ultimately, i want them to have a safe and good life. Which i'm afraid is very hard to achieve in South Africa. [/b]

Yeah fair enough....S.A is just getting too unsafe.

Well as a Kiwi I would recommend Australia ahead of my own country. Kiwis can have a bit of an inferiority complex whilst Aussies tend to think they can do anything. Better loking women in Aus who are more open about guys....but you are married so that kills that one.

[/b][/quote]

Its shocking unfortunetly, my christian ed teacher is from SA, he said he came to Australia mainly because he had to think of his family and future, he said something like a women gets raped every 34 sec/1in2 women are raped or something shocking and the crime is a disgrace and he didnt want his children to be growing up there.. Came to Brisbane and he said he loves it, loves the people and the beach.

When I think about it, there are heaps of expat South Africans I know and a lot of them in my school, Brisbane/Gold Coast could be a good idea if there would be jobs availible or Sydney/Perth would be just as good, Melbourne might be good if you dont wanna watch much rugby anymore and take up a sport called Aussie Rules. Oh and just avoid going to Adelaide..

and Dont go to NZ..! Just ask the 20000 New Zealanders that come to Australia every year!

we are not in Johannesburg anymore Dr. Du Preez[/b]

What???

Anyway, maybe OZ is better for me then. Hows the TV there? Just saw a trailer for a movie starring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. It's called Australia. Ha Ha!!! Anyway, anyone know of any good places to start?

we are not in Johannesburg anymore Dr. Du Preez[/b]

What???

Anyway, maybe OZ is better for me then. Hows the TV there? Just saw a trailer for a movie starring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. It's called Australia. Ha Ha!!! Anyway, anyone know of any good places to start? [/b]

LOL it's a little personal joke that kiwi's will understand :)

you may as well come to australia as new zealand will become the 7th state of australia in a few years anyway

:p

So much for logical and impartial information. New Zealand is a good country. I'll post some ideas when I have time later.

So much for logical and impartial information. New Zealand is a good country. I'll post some ideas when I have time later.
[/b]

It is, but I'm quickly getting sick to death of it. I'm leaving for the UK in 1.5 years after I finish my degree where the pay is not only a great deal more, I actually have a chance of being able to travel around and not end up seeing the same place a thousand times over. Can't wait for a change.

So much for logical and impartial information. [/b]
The logical thing would be to go to Europe, adequately safe and he can live and get a job with his UK passport just about anywhere, however Aust and NZ he will have to go through various immigration procedures which will be a pain in the ass and if he doesn't like the place it may not even be worth it.

The logical thing would be to go to Europe, adequately safe and he can live and get a job with his UK passport just about anywhere, however Aust and NZ he will have to go through various immigration procedures which will be a pain in the ass and if he doesn't like the place it may not even be worth it.[/b]

Very good point... Maybe i should learn French... :p

Very good point... Maybe i should learn French... :p[/b]
The French know English yet refuse to speak it, just do what Ricky Gervais says and speak louder in English if they don't understand you and if they still don't understand you smash the place up. :p

I suggest going to somewhere in Europe where the people know English and don't be dicks about it like the French. In Iceland there is a job for a English speaking soccer commentators, just an example of the expanding jobs being an English speaker in a non English country in the entertainment industry. Plus if a place doesn't have enough jobs you can simply take a train for an hour and be in a whole new country.

Arguably the reason many people from ALL countries decide to move abroad.
[/b]

Yeah I suppose but NZ is losing a lot of educated people at a staggering rate which they cannot afford. For example, I do engineering (scraping by lol) and only about 20% of the graduates from our department on average stay and work in NZ.

Yeah I suppose but NZ is losing a lot of educated people at a staggering rate which they cannot afford. For example, I do engineering (scraping by lol) and only about 20% of the graduates from our department on average stay and work in NZ.[/b]

Please give me the details of your coursework, and i will start studying ASAP! :p But yeah, nice thing is, every country on Earth has a TV industry, it's getting to the fooking country thats the problem...

french is easy, you just speak english but slur your words, and end every sentence in "haw haw haw"

Latest posts