• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the Year 2011

Who do you think should be the IRB International Player of the Year for 2011?

• Thierry Dusatoir

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Will Genia

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jerome Kaino

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Ma'a Nonu

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • David Pocock

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Piri Weepu

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
Between Pocock and Kaino for me. Genia had a great beginning of the year while Weepu is having a great end of the year. Dusatoir and Nonu don't really come close for me.

As for me. I voted for Pocock because at least Kaino has had the advantage of playing behind solid packs this year (for the most part)
On the other hand Pocock has been outstand in every game thus far, win or lose. He was the form Wallaby last week and who can forget him single handedly disposing of the Boks :)

A player who I'd have liked to have seen nominated is Jamie Roberts, who's probably been the most dangerous midfield back this tornement (probably more so than Nonu in many regards). Was quiet against France, but destroyed against South Africa and Fiji.

You always seem to have sly digs at him lol, you were pumping up Mills not so long ago. Mills is just about past his best before date tbh, and I don't think Mills has ever been as good as Dagg is playing at the moment.

As far as Kaino goes, yes he has been brilliant the whole World Cup. He was very good on Sunday, but IMO McCaw had his best game in ages and Read was also excellent.
Kaino has been given enough credit, he's in line for player of the tournament and potentially player of the year.

Dagg showed in SA he can carve up when the forwards are getting munched.

Are you sure you are not confusing me with another poster (maybe Larksea?). I've always believed Muliaina is a talented player, but I don't think I could ever be accused of 'pumping him'! Stating Dagg is still error prone at times is not having a 'sly dig at him' - it is simply stating the obvious. Despite what many people would lead you to believe, Dagg is not perfect (he's still a phenomenal player though!). I think he has shown improvement in his decision making and error rate though - for example I thought his performance versus France was basically flawless.

Last edited:
Im thinking its between Nonu and Kaino,which ever has the better game on sunday will win it.

Are you sure you are not confusing me with another poster (maybe Larksea?). I've always believed Muliaina is a talented player, but I don't think I could ever be accused of 'pumping him'! Stating Dagg is still error prone at times is not having a 'sly dig at him' - it is simply stating the obvious. Despite what many people would lead you to believe, Dagg is not perfect (he's still a phenomenal player though!). I think he has shown improvement in his decision making and error rate though - for example I thought his performance versus France was basically flawless.

Sorry you may be right, I do get you two confused for some reason.

Were you the one saying it was too big of a risk to play Dagg in the play offs? That he wasn't safe enough under the high ball? Saying Mils was AAA rated, as safe as you can get. Hinting the Daggs defence was lacking?
*Nobodies perfect lol, and I don't mean John Eales

Last edited:
Sorry you may be right, I do get you two confused for some reason.

Were you the one saying it was too big of a risk to play Dagg in the play offs? That he wasn't safe enough under the high ball? Saying Mils was AAA rated, as safe as you can get. Hinting the Daggs defence was lacking?
*Nobodies perfect lol, and I don't mean John Eales

No that wasn't me - I was 50/50 on whether I would pick him or Muliaina at the start of the international season (I may have even favoured Muliana for his experience), but by the end of the Tri-nations I thought Dagg had earned his spot as the AB's starting fullback. He's always been great under the high-ball, and I've never had any issues with his defense... my major reservations about Dagg was his decision making (and his error rate), but I think that has been fine this RWC. I'm starting to really like Dagg... he's almost as good as Ben Smith ;) (yes I can definitely be accused of over-rating Smith!).

While we are on the topic of Ben Smith, what are your thoughts on him focusing his attentions on playing centre and eventually taking over Conrad Smiths spot in the All Black midfield? Conrads style of play has been a complete revelation for the All Blacks and once he retires, i can't think of anyone that could step up and play the same type of football. Maybe Jared Payne or Beauden Barrett at a push, but i think Ben Smith is best suited for the role.

While we are on the topic of Ben Smith, what are your thoughts on him focusing his attentions on playing centre and eventually taking over Conrad Smiths spot in the All Black midfield? Conrads style of play has been a complete revelation for the All Blacks and once he retires, i can't think of anyone that could step up and play the same type of football. Maybe Jared Payne or Beauden Barrett at a push, but i think Ben Smith is best suited for the role.

Robbie Fruean Maybe???

I agree that centre is potentially Smith's best position (he reminds me so much of Conrad Smith, perhaps even with a bit more pace...). However at the moment he is probably a better fullback than a centre (probably due to the fact that he has much more experience there at higher levels). The big problem the Highlanders/Otago have is that he is clearly their best fullback, and is a huge asset there too with his counter-attacking running (about the only attacking threat the Highlanders/Otago have at times!). It is really a case of deciding to do what is best now (Smith at fullback) or what might be best in the future (Smith at centre). Now that the Highlanders have some serious attacking threats on the wing Joseph may well be tempted to use Smith at centre to help unleash these threats. Interestingly Smith has played nearly all his club rugby at centre, but for some reason hasn't been given much of a chance their for Otago (not sure why - we've hardly been stacked for talent there!). My conclusion: I'm not sure....I'd probably be tempted to try him at centre (with Ellison at fullback), but I'm not really decided either way yet.

Anyways.... back on topic...

I agree that centre is potentially Smith's best position (he reminds me so much of Conrad Smith, perhaps even with a bit more pace...). However at the moment he is probably a better fullback than a centre (probably due to the fact that he has much more experience there at higher levels). The big problem the Highlanders/Otago have is that he is clearly their best fullback, and is a huge asset there too with his counter-attacking running (about the only attacking threat the Highlanders/Otago have at times!). It is really a case of deciding to do what is best now (Smith at fullback) or what might be best in the future (Smith at centre). Now that the Highlanders have some serious attacking threats on the wing Joseph may well be tempted to use Smith at centre to help unleash these threats. Interestingly Smith has played nearly all his club rugby at centre, but for some reason hasn't been given much of a chance their for Otago (not sure why - we've hardly been stacked for talent there!). My conclusion: I'm not sure....I'd probably be tempted to try him at centre (with Ellison at fullback), but I'm not really decided either way yet.

Sometimes he reminds me of a young Stephen Larkham, makes me wonder how he'd go at 10. Maybe its just his build and the head gear. He is pretty cunning like Larkham.

With Kurt Baker and Ellison the Highlanders look in good shape for the 15.. I hope Smith plays centre anyway

When Mike Balir was nominated in 2008, and McCaw won it in 2009, I lost my faith in this award...
Exactly.

Even though he hasnt been nominated I still kinda expect McCaw to win it again.

Couldnt really give a **** thoguh, its a completely meaningless award.

And the IRB just continues to get worse. Who the hell makes the nominees list??.. I mean seriously, you have two or three good games and you're in the running for IRB Player of the YEAR?? Thierry Dusautoir?? Piri Weepu?? Based on what?. From that list I'd have to say Nonu or Kaino. Based on consistency. Nonu has never gone missing this year.

Exactly.

Even though he hasnt been nominated I still kinda expect McCaw to win it again.

Couldnt really give a **** thoguh, its a completely meaningless award.

Haha, especially when Brian O'Driscoll lost it in 2009. Fourie du Preez was better that year anyway.

But they don't include the previous years EoYT though, do they?

Yes, they do. It spans from the previous years end of year tour to the current years tri nations. No one seems to realise! Its ridiculous that a man can be the outstanding player and captain for a side that goes on to achieve a grandslam in which all the home nations are held tryless (a 147-14 combined points spread vs Wales, England, Ireland and Scotland), and people question his award for greatest player of that season!

Look how crazy Ireland went when they got their grandslam, every man and his dog from that side were proclaimed the best on the planet, imagine if they had pulled it off without conceeding a try..

McCaw deserved his award. The one i would question is Shane Williams.

WHERE THE F*** IS SAMO? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

(jokes)
Seriously though. Nonu has been head and shoulders above all over world centres this season IMO. Conrad Smith had a good year, but I can remember Maa having more awesome games.

Kaino seems favorite though, he has been the best #6 this season. Pocock must be in there as well.

Anyway, it will be an interesting decision. These three would be deserving winners.

Yes, they do. It spans from the previous years end of year tour to the current years tri nations. No one seems to realise! Its ridiculous that a man can be the outstanding player and captain for a side that goes on to achieve a grandslam in which all the home nations are held tryless (a 147-14 combined points spread vs Wales, England, Ireland and Scotland), and people question his award for greatest player of

McCaw deserved his award. The one i would question is Shane Williams.

It's just every other source I have read says otherwise, an example for the matches used this year.

"The IRB Player of the Year Award is the ultimate accolade for a player to receive in his career. It takes on added significance in a Rugby World Cup year and takes into account player performances in all major internationals, including matches in the RBS 6 Nations and Tri Nations," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset."

The IRB Awards panel comprises some of the biggest names in the Game with Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga and Paul Wallace having deliberated on every major Test played in 2011, starting with the opening RBS 6 Nations match and culminating with the RWC Final.

http://www.allblacks.com/news/17823/Three-All-Blacks-nominated-for-IRB-World-Player-of-the-Year

Even the 2009 announcement makes no mention of using the previous years EoYT matches, and strange that it is awarded at the end of that years EoYTs, no?

http://www.irb.com/history/awards/newsid=2034590.html

Last edited:

Latest posts