Ireland cannot take number one in IRB Rankings in the Autumn.

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Mark Archer, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Mark Archer

Mark Archer Junior Member

Ireland may have gained more ground on the All Blacks in the world rankings, but taking the number one spot is unlikely to occur until the 2019 6 Nations. There is unlikely to be a showdown for the number one spot in the world rankings at the Aviva Stadium on November 17th. Ireland's loss of one match in their series to the Wallabies means that they do not have the ranking points needed to take New Zealand's spot on that occasion, although a win on 17th November would bring them within 1.26 points of New Zealand. Ireland's success in Australia has brought them to within four ranking

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. noah_jo

noah_jo Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

The rankings are broken anyway. Wales 3rd? Joke

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Mark Archer

The Rankings are never a joke, and are not broken, but they do appear to 'over-react' at times. If Wales are 3rd, there's a good reason for it. In this case a good performance in the Six Nations, recent wins over South Africa and Argentina coupled of course with the collapse of England.. However Wales' great acid test will come against the Wallabies in the Autumn Internationals, when a win will show that the number 3 is not a temporary stop-over, but home for the time being.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mike1

mike1 Junior Member

Country Flag:

Great Britain

Club or Nation:

England

Ireland could be number 1 before the autumn internationals...

6. Mark Archer

yes but we're in the realms of extreme hopefulness here: the All Blacks would need to lose twice in the Championship, and once by a big score. Once, I can imagine, twice I cannot, and neither can I imagine a big score.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RedruthRFC

RedruthRFC Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

The main reason for this is that the IRB has not existed for almost 4 years now! That aside, I'd be amazed if six straight 20 point losses in The Rugby Championship, followed by heavy losses to Japan and England wouldn't see New Zealand drop off the top spot before they set foot in Ireland.

8. Oliver Madden

Oliver Madden Member

as well as Ireland are doing at the moment I don't think they'll get the world number one spot before the world cup. i actually don't think Ireland will push the All Blacks as close as some people think in November. I think NZ will win by 15-20 points at the Aviva. Ireland played well against Australia but Australia aren't a patch on New Zealand at the moment. if Ireland had been touring NZ this summer i think they'd have lost every test comfortably. i don't think England will beat the AB's in November either.

9. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Wellington

Given our lacklustre performances of late, I’m confident of nothing.

I will reserve comment until after the RC.

If NZ doesn’t find a fetcher of the caliber of Hooper we will struggle against Ireland’s ability to retain the ball.

Not worried about England while they have that pouty schoolboy as captain. How long before Brad Shields is given the job - before he lands in the Mother Country, or will he complete a training camp first?

10. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

I've heard Hartley be called many things but a pouty schoolboy is not one of them

11. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

I agree with you on the part about if Ireland had toured New Zealand this summer that they would have probably lost the series 3-0 but I do think that Ireland have a genuine shot at beating them at home in the autumn. The clear number two side in the world against the clear number one... but in the formers back yard. It’s gonna be huge.

12. Oliver Madden

Oliver Madden Member

it will be a massive game and a great rugby occasion. as a fan of Northern Hemisphere rugby I hope Ireland can beat the ABs but I think NZ have just too much flair and pace in the back-line. Ireland will have to do a number on NZ at the set piece and at the breakdown.

13. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

We don't want #1 Any way. That's only for teachers pet

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!