• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

Ranked 3rd in the world, haven't lost to a team outside the top 4 at the time of the game since 2017 and we're in disarray. We don't half lose the run of ourselves.

"Let's see how they play with a target on their back like we always do" - Steve Hansen, 2018 the answer isn't well. Wales' turn.

Ranked 3rd in the world, haven't lost to a team outside the top 4 at the time of the game since 2017 and we're in disarray. We don't half lose the run of ourselves.

"Let's see how they play with a target on their back like we always do" - Steve Hansen, 2018 the answer isn't well. Wales' turn.
We've won 23 of the last 26 games. If you thought we could beat the ridiculous hype after the All Blacks game, you just had to wait until today. We laugh at the English for overreacting in the media, but we're far, far worse.

Yeah, you can point at stats and say top 4, and only X losses since Y. But that is hiding behind misleading stats a bit. I don't think its unfair to say we have fairly sizeable issues - some of which are possibly insurmountable for a real go at the world cup.

Yeah, we might make a world cup semi-final but is that really the height of our ambition?

Our depth isn't actually all that deep - there may only be two positions on the pitch where we have options that are nearly as good as the guys they'd replace (lock and 9 with CM's current form).

Our backrow no longer can do the job it was able to. The attritional hard yards we were making in the autumn we are losing 3 months later.

Healy isn't in the form he was 4 months ago and the other loosies aren't putting pressure on him.
Father Time is catching up with Best. His darts were always a question mark but the rest made up for it. Cronin is not stepping forward as a serious starting option. Scannell or Herring? Both aren't anything like as good as the Best of 2 years ago.
2nd row is OK - we've 4 great options and a further 2 workable ones.
SOB and CJ look a shadow of themselves. POM is never a carrying machine, neither is VDF in heavy traffic. Leavy was badly missed.
Murray is a serious serious concern. TOL 2? Since when does the national team become an arena to play a guy back into form when an AIL coach would be wondering whether to hook him at half time?
Sexton is hard to judge because of the problems at 9 and 12.
Aki ain't a distributing 12. We've serious issues with Henshaw out. Even with Henshaw in, our back play is very turgid and we are relying on Ringrose individually doing something rather than our systems and combinations doing something.
Wings are all right.
Kearney is a pair of safe hands - but with our problems at 12, we badly need another creative option. Carbery at 15?

Our general back play is utter sh!te. If the guys aren't running a set move, their heads up play is shocking. The line is far too flat, the running angles constant and telegraphed and we struggle to get beyond the inside channel never mind to the outside edge. Furthermore, if we are gonna have POM in the team - and accept the loss of heavy carrier - why do we not kick territory and use the 3 jumping options to put pressure on the opp. lineout?

Just came across Zebo's quickly deleted tweet after Saturday which read "Hey bro @IanMadigan what's the craic? [Crying laughing emoji]".

Can't see many of the 23 from Cardiff wanting to play with that odious manchild again!

Just came across Zebo's quickly deleted tweet after Saturday which read "Hey bro @IanMadigan what's the craic? [Crying laughing emoji]".

Can't see many of the 23 from Cardiff wanting to play with that odious manchild again!
The 23 players that played on Saturday gave enough of a **** to stay in the country during a World Cup year. That's the biggest thing that sets them and Zebo apart. We can get into talent beyond that but really that's reason enough for me.

The 23 players that played on Saturday gave enough of a **** to stay in the country during a World Cup year. That's the biggest thing that sets them and Zebo apart. We can get into talent beyond that but really that's reason enough for me.
Totally. But does he think that what he says now won't effect his relationship with the IRFU and Andy Farrell, and now the players? He's said he wants to play for Ireland again but is doing just about anything he can to burn bridges.

He either lives the attention and doesn't care about playing internationally again or he has committed to his life to idiocy.

Totally. But does he think that what he says now won't effect his relationship with the IRFU and Andy Farrell, and now the players? He's said he wants to play for Ireland again but is doing just about anything he can to burn bridges.

He either lives the attention and doesn't care about playing internationally again or he has committed to his life to idiocy.
He enjoys the attention he gets in our media. Since he's left for France he's done everything possible to reaffirm my long-held opinion that he's a complete and utter p****. Maybe he's nice in person but honestly the amount of time people spend talking about him is ridiculous given that he was average for years in an Ireland shirt, one Six Nations try in five years but he did that flick against Wales in 2013 so he's the answer to all our problems.

I think he's fully aware he won't play for Ireland again because of the policy and from a personal point because he's very comfortable and well paid in France with no intention of actually coming back so takes these fairly cheap shots in the knowledge he will never have to pay the piper.
In his mind the only way he plays for Ireland again is if the policy changes in which case he'll be vindicated regardless.
Lost a lot of respect for Zebo for his stance since he left. Lacks self awareness and takes no responsibility for 1.) his mixed standard of play which bordered on laziness at stages in his career 2.) his own career moves to take more money (a completely fair decision if you accept the consequences you were fully aware would follow), and 3.) his souring relationship with Schmidt and the IRFU which has been fanned by taking shots on Twitter and in the press which is an insult to fans as well as the guys you're implying you deserve to play ahead of.

I think he's fully aware he won't play for Ireland again because of the policy and from a personal point because he's very comfortable and well paid in France with no intention of actually coming back so takes these fairly cheap shots in the knowledge he will never have to pay the piper.
In his mind the only way he plays for Ireland again is if the policy changes in which case he'll be vindicated regardless.
Lost a lot of respect for Zebo for his stance since he left. Lacks self awareness and takes no responsibility for 1.) his mixed standard of play which bordered on laziness at stages in his career 2.) his own career moves to take more money (a completely fair decision if you accept the consequences you were fully aware would follow), and 3.) his souring relationship with Schmidt and the IRFU which has been fanned by taking shots on Twitter and in the press which is an insult to fans as well as the guys you're implying you deserve to play ahead of.

I lost a lot of respect for him with his performances for Munster at the end of last season. Looked like he couldn't be bothered.

The thing on Zebo is lads. Paper never refused ink. And he knows it. Like him or hate him ye are here talking about him meaning he is still relevant. That is what he wants.

I do find it funny at times he has been discussed as a missed player for Ireland a lot but never once for Munster. That is credit to Mike Haley being a superb 15 who is still improving and Conway who is an energetic 15. Luke Fitzgerald probably threw gas on the fire saying he'd have himself and Madigan back. The fact is neither are good enough to be there and well nowhere near good enough to change policies for. The IRFU management programme means you get a good 15% extra out of a player.

Listening to Off the Ball, it's crazy how quickly some pundits are writing off Schmidts Ireland gameplan - "we've been found out and it's not going to work anymore." I just don't see how you can overlook 3 ***les in 5 years and 2 victories over the ABs, this quickly.
Especially this argument about how badly whipped the Irish boys are, when that group of players are so well looked after.

I agree with BOD that Ireland need to switch off from international rugby, go back to the provinces and earn that form and enjoyment of the game.

Listening to Off the Ball, it's crazy how quickly some pundits are writing off Schmidts Ireland gameplan - "we've been found out and it's not going to work anymore." I just don't see how you can overlook 3 ***les in 5 years and 2 victories over the ABs, this quickly.
Especially this argument about how badly whipped the Irish boys are, when that group of players are so well looked after.

I agree with BOD that Ireland need to switch off from international rugby, go back to the provinces and earn that form and enjoyment of the game.
Off the ball love extremes. We were the best team in the world going into the competition. As it stands I still think we have the best set up, players and coaching staff, after New Zealand like the 4 international windows before the competition suggests.

But it's Ireland, it's a world cup and a few of the issues that came to head were evident in the winning period and before as well as the age profile of the back three. Finding form at the right time and a tweak here or there is all that's needed to get back to where we were. Some confidence will be lost but there's a lot in the bank and a lot to be built in the provinces where all four could make pro 14 playoffs and there's 1 guaranteed heineken cup semi finalist with the possibility of an Irish final.

There's talk of the Irish media having a very strained relationship with Schmidt over the last year or so and this is the first chance in that period that they've really been able to stick the knife. We also live in the era of the hot take where there's not such thing as nuance and it's what a lot of fans want to hear.

Absolutely agree with that take from BO'D. Think a change of environment will do all involved a lot of good.

Saw there Ryan had the second most carries of any player despite only playing 4 games and also being very involved everywhere else. Incredible to think he's only 22.

Thing is it isn't the game plan its more the execution of ot. Like Murray was off form and he is key to box kicks. Sexton was off form and he is key to linking back.
It was just a case of too many off form together.

Our media is worse than their English equivalents, which is saying something. This is the same OTB that had the 'Get used to being superior' clip before the tournament. Can't be taken seriously at all.

Schmidt hasn't gone out of his way to make friends with the media over the last year or so, so it's hardly a surprise if bunch of disaffected journos are going to stick the boot in after the first setback. I think I saw someone (not sure if it was here) make the exact same point in December. Sports journalists in this country are d***s, they offer no insight and they expect sportspeople to be their best friends. The personal all-time high for me was an article in the indo complaining about not being invited to Rory McIlroy's wedding!

TAB's RWC Squad - Just an opinion, please don't tell me I'm wrong for not picking [Munster Player] because Schmidt's a fan Muff. :p

Loosie Goosie Heads: Healy, Kilcoyne
Hookers: Scan, Cronin, Best
Tightheads: Furlong, Porter, Ryan
Locks: Toner, Henderson, Ryan, Kleyn
Hybrid Man: Beirne
Backrows: POM, Leavy, Stander, VdF, Conan
Scrummies: Murray, Marmion
10s: SexTerror, Carbery
Centers: Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki, Addison
Back Three: Stockdale, Earls, Kearney, Larmour, Byrne baby Burn.

Byrne's inclusion would require an on form Murray and a fit Addison but I really think his outrageous athleticism and wonderfully aesthetic legs deserve a RWC!

Last edited:
TAB's RWC Squad - Just an opinion, please don't tell me I'm wrong for not picking [Munster Player] because Schmidt's a fan Muff. :p

Byrne's inclusion would require an on form Murray and a fit Addison but I really think his outrageous athleticism and wonderfully aesthetic legs deserve a RWC!
I'd generally agreed with that the one change is that I think we could drop Kleyn and take an extra halfback, probably Cooney although I'd really want Ross Byrne there as well (offset by the fact that him not going would be worth 10+ Pro14 points to Leinster and that's conservative), I'm not convinced that either Carty or Carbery are better 10s than him but that's just a personal opinion. Adam Byrne is leftfield but not unrealistic if he can play a significant part in a successful finish to the season for Leinster. He's been nothing short of brilliant this year.

When I was posting in the thread about where teams stand it actually occurred to me that Byrne is probably the most similar player we have to Stockdale with some obvious deficiencies and the fact that he seems to only play on the right. I've been a big fan for a long time but based on the evidence available it's hard to see Schmidt taking him

I'd worry about leaving yourself short at loosehead but if Furlong was considered able to play loosehead last time then Porter absolutely should be and you have to compromise somewhere.

Oh and also expect at least 5 halfbacks, 4 means you can never rest anyone.

On this.
Agree with front rows.
2nd rows. Agree as Kleyn is the Quin Roux upgrade Schmidt loves.
Agree with backrow, maybe SOB or Ruddock will pressure Conan.
9 and 10 I agree.
Centre yeah can see Addison be there due to flexibility.
Only difference is Conway will get in I feel over Byrne.
Can't see Byrne stay first choice in alot of big games for Leinster that will hurt him and if he isn't starting he won't bench.
Ross Byrne virtually has no hope as Sexton will demand more minutes to get form. And well that will effect Ross chances.

Agree with lads that Cooney may be 3rd 9 as he or Murray can play 10 too in a case of emergency

Latest posts