Ireland Squad 2018/2019

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Amiga500, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

15 try assists in the Pro14. More than twice as many as anyone else. Never really rated him before this season, he'd always do something that would make you think 'Jeez, he could have been an All Black' followed immediately by box-kicking out on the full or something truly awful that made you question why he was ever a professional rugby player. He had some awful games especially this time last year but starting the semi-final demolishion against the Scarlets was a turning point for him. This season he's gotten rid of most of the woeful stuff and is producing an awful lot more of the brilliant moments.

He doesn't really control games, and I'm not sure he'd have what it takes at international level, but he's a lot of fun to watch for Leinster. Has a great relationship with Sexton as well by the look of it.

Cooney would be my preference for the 21 jersey but I'm happy enough with Marmion who has the most experience at international level (I'd question if he was the most deserving of that experience but that's not the point anymore.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I doubt Joe would have too much interest in him. His physicality and kicking is far behind the four guys we have.

4. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Exactly, I love him, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near that world cup squad.

5. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'd have him at number 5 on the depth chart behind Murray, Marmion, McGrath and Cooney once eligible. Blade is a close 6th.

6. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Would we really have Cooney that far down. I think he could nail 21 shirt based on performances. However more based on he's a good box kicker and is the closest I think to Murray in styles. Butbas a 21 Insuppose you want a different type.
    Similar to if Ireland were playing in a RWC QF amd Sexton was out I'd consider Byrne starting as he is more closer to Sexton than Joey but Joey on bench over Byrne all day due to his style

7. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Well based on November he's definitely fourth choice. If provincial performances were going to change Joe's mind that's already have happened. If he puts in three man of the match performances en route to Ulster becoming European Champions then that could change but beyond that it seems unlikely. Don't see what goalkicking has to do with it, the chances of it actually being relevant are minimal.

I think Byrne has been better than Joey this season, but if him not being in the squad means Leinster get to play him in the Pro14 games I'm happy enough.

8. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'd have no issue if any of Marmion, McGrath or Cooney was Murray's backup. There's very little between them.

9. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

True but all very different options in their own ways

10. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Goal kicking isn't relevant but box kicking is highly relevant as it is a key part of gameplan.

On the Byrne vs Joey it's hard to say who's been better as 2 very different scenarios. However Joey has really stood up down here and while he had an iffy start he has built on from it and like last Saturday has grown in to being a leader.

11. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Luke Fitz' backline for next week:

Cooney, Madigan, Stockdale, Farrell, Addison, Earls, Zebo

Italy could genuinely beat that... The man hasn't two braincells to rub together.

12. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

You'd think a former Leinster player would at least pick a few Leinster guys. (Although I guess we can count Madigan and Cooney:D)

Seriously though, just what? The only one I agree on is Stockdale and maybe Earls.

13. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Henderson cited. Sigh.

14. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 International

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

15. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

So Henderson out seem to indicate maybe.
    1. Healy
    2. Best/Scannell
    3. Furlong
    4. Roux
    5. Ryan
    6. POM
    7. SOB
    8. Conan
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Earls
    15. Kearney

16. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

Tell ye who is in great form and should probably be in discussions - Marty Moore.

Our scrum was a mess before he arrived. Really rock solid for us in the set piece and starting to contribute with carries more and more.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Dear Joe Schmidt, I've consulted my tactics book and believe we need to go with the following on Saturday. (Second option dependent on fitness of first player)

15. Rob Kearney/Jordan Larmour
    14. Jacob Stockdale
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Robbie Henshaw/Bundee Aki
    11. Keet Earls
    10. Johnny Sexamundo
    9. Kieran Marmion
    8. Jack Conan
    7. Josh Van der Flier/Dan Leavy/Sean O'Brien
    6. PO'M
    5. James Ryan
    4. Iain Henderson
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    2. Rory Best
    1. Cian Healy

Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Tadhe Beirne, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery/Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour/Andrew Conway (Although I wish you'd picked my main dawg Adam "AK47" Byrne)

18. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Seeing as Stander is being praised as 1 of the massive standout players aling with Ringrose and Ryan it's hard to see him dropped or sense in it as he is fresh.
    Henshaw has been confirmed as ruled oyt since after French game.
    Leavy said to have little chanve and to start at 7 after no rugby in a game of this magnitude is senseless too really.
    Adam Byrne was released from squad last Wednesday along with Ross Byrne and few others. Probably back in to pose as opposition this week again but very unlikely they have chance.
    Scannell will probably be replaced by Herring too as it was always said he will see time

19. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Rotation rather than dropping, he put in a big 80 minutes when it probably wasn't the plan considering Conan was on the bench, it is only a six day turnaround as well.

Henshaw and Leavy are in there in hope rather than expectation, SOB has been so bad so far I reckon Leavy would be worth a punt though if VdF is out.

20. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

True but CJ is fresh in terms of he never missed fitness session so like would make more sense to loose POM.

Henshaw is 100% confirmed as out. And Leavy 95% confirmed. Sean Cronin is rumoured to be back in at 16 and Sean O'Brien most likely to replace Van Der Flier although CJ to 7 is being noted as possible too

21. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Have I completely lost the plot or is James Ryan the best option to take over the captaincy after the world cup?

Even ignoring questions about O'Mahony/Sexton's leadership, neither of them are likely to be around at the next world cup (O'Mahony maybe but that's an outside shot). Looking through the team, I genuinely can't see a better option to do it.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!