• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

He's been good but wouldn't say by a mile. Alby has been superb for Munster, Blade has been very lively for Connacht and what Cooney has done in Ulster has really impressed me the most. He has became a heartbeat of that team and that was evident in their game away to Leicester when he came on and everything seemed to calm. Also one of the only players be a club champion in both hemispheres.

Mire the point is there is a lot of capable options. JGP could be superb at international level but equally he could crumble. Basically he is an unknown quantity at this level until he plays. I don't doubt he will be up to it but at the moment Marmion is probably the best of the rest in Joe's eyes based on performing at this level.

15 try assists in the Pro14. More than twice as many as anyone else. Never really rated him before this season, he'd always do something that would make you think 'Jeez, he could have been an All Black' followed immediately by box-kicking out on the full or something truly awful that made you question why he was ever a professional rugby player. He had some awful games especially this time last year but starting the semi-final demolishion against the Scarlets was a turning point for him. This season he's gotten rid of most of the woeful stuff and is producing an awful lot more of the brilliant moments.

He doesn't really control games, and I'm not sure he'd have what it takes at international level, but he's a lot of fun to watch for Leinster. Has a great relationship with Sexton as well by the look of it.

Cooney would be my preference for the 21 jersey but I'm happy enough with Marmion who has the most experience at international level (I'd question if he was the most deserving of that experience but that's not the point anymore.)

Last edited:
I'd have him at number 5 on the depth chart behind Murray, Marmion, McGrath and Cooney once eligible. Blade is a close 6th.

Would we really have Cooney that far down. I think he could nail 21 shirt based on performances. However more based on he's a good box kicker and is the closest I think to Murray in styles. Butbas a 21 Insuppose you want a different type.
Similar to if Ireland were playing in a RWC QF amd Sexton was out I'd consider Byrne starting as he is more closer to Sexton than Joey but Joey on bench over Byrne all day due to his style

Would we really have Cooney that far down. I think he could nail 21 shirt based on performances. However more based on he's a good box kicker and is the closest I think to Murray in styles. Butbas a 21 Insuppose you want a different type.
Similar to if Ireland were playing in a RWC QF amd Sexton was out I'd consider Byrne starting as he is more closer to Sexton than Joey but Joey on bench over Byrne all day due to his style
Well based on November he's definitely fourth choice. If provincial performances were going to change Joe's mind that's already have happened. If he puts in three man of the match performances en route to Ulster becoming European Champions then that could change but beyond that it seems unlikely. Don't see what goalkicking has to do with it, the chances of it actually being relevant are minimal.

I think Byrne has been better than Joey this season, but if him not being in the squad means Leinster get to play him in the Pro14 games I'm happy enough.

Well based on November he's definitely fourth choice. If provincial performances were going to change Joe's mind that's already have happened. If he puts in three man of the match performances en route to Ulster becoming European Champions then that could change but beyond that it seems unlikely. Don't see what goalkicking has to do with it, the chances of it actually being relevant are minimal.

I think Byrne has been better than Joey this season, but if him not being in the squad means Leinster get to play him in the Pro14 games I'm happy enough.
Goal kicking isn't relevant but box kicking is highly relevant as it is a key part of gameplan.

On the Byrne vs Joey it's hard to say who's been better as 2 very different scenarios. However Joey has really stood up down here and while he had an iffy start he has built on from it and like last Saturday has grown in to being a leader.

Luke Fitz' backline for next week:

Cooney, Madigan, Stockdale, Farrell, Addison, Earls, Zebo

Italy could genuinely beat that... The man hasn't two braincells to rub together.

Luke Fitz' backline for next week:

Cooney, Madigan, Stockdale, Farrell, Addison, Earls, Zebo

Italy could genuinely beat that... The man hasn't two braincells to rub together.
You'd think a former Leinster player would at least pick a few Leinster guys. (Although I guess we can count Madigan and Cooney:D)

Seriously though, just what? The only one I agree on is Stockdale and maybe Earls.

So Henderson out seem to indicate maybe.
1. Healy
2. Best/Scannell
3. Furlong
4. Roux
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. SOB
8. Conan
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Henshaw
14. Earls
15. Kearney

Tell ye who is in great form and should probably be in discussions - Marty Moore.

Our scrum was a mess before he arrived. Really rock solid for us in the set piece and starting to contribute with carries more and more.

Dear Joe Schmidt, I've consulted my tactics book and believe we need to go with the following on Saturday. (Second option dependent on fitness of first player)

15. Rob Kearney/Jordan Larmour
14. Jacob Stockdale
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw/Bundee Aki
11. Keet Earls
10. Johnny Sexamundo
9. Kieran Marmion
8. Jack Conan
7. Josh Van der Flier/Dan Leavy/Sean O'Brien
6. PO'M
5. James Ryan
4. Iain Henderson
3. Tadhg Furlong
2. Rory Best
1. Cian Healy

Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Tadhe Beirne, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery/Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour/Andrew Conway (Although I wish you'd picked my main dawg Adam "AK47" Byrne)

Dear Joe Schmidt, I've consulted my tactics book and believe we need to go with the following on Saturday. (Second option dependent on fitness of first player)

15. Rob Kearney/Jordan Larmour
14. Jacob Stockdale
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw/Bundee Aki
11. Keet Earls
10. Johnny Sexamundo
9. Kieran Marmion
8. Jack Conan
7. Josh Van der Flier/Dan Leavy/Sean O'Brien
6. PO'M
5. James Ryan
4. Iain Henderson
3. Tadhg Furlong
2. Rory Best
1. Cian Healy

Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Tadhe Beirne, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery/Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour/Andrew Conway (Although I wish you'd picked my main dawg Adam "AK47" Byrne)
Seeing as Stander is being praised as 1 of the massive standout players aling with Ringrose and Ryan it's hard to see him dropped or sense in it as he is fresh.
Henshaw has been confirmed as ruled oyt since after French game.
Leavy said to have little chanve and to start at 7 after no rugby in a game of this magnitude is senseless too really.
Adam Byrne was released from squad last Wednesday along with Ross Byrne and few others. Probably back in to pose as opposition this week again but very unlikely they have chance.
Scannell will probably be replaced by Herring too as it was always said he will see time

Seeing as Stander is being praised as 1 of the massive standout players aling with Ringrose and Ryan it's hard to see him dropped or sense in it as he is fresh.
Henshaw has been confirmed as ruled oyt since after French game.
Leavy said to have little chanve and to start at 7 after no rugby in a game of this magnitude is senseless too really.
Adam Byrne was released from squad last Wednesday along with Ross Byrne and few others. Probably back in to pose as opposition this week again but very unlikely they have chance.
Scannell will probably be replaced by Herring too as it was always said he will see time
Rotation rather than dropping, he put in a big 80 minutes when it probably wasn't the plan considering Conan was on the bench, it is only a six day turnaround as well.

Henshaw and Leavy are in there in hope rather than expectation, SOB has been so bad so far I reckon Leavy would be worth a punt though if VdF is out.

Rotation rather than dropping, he put in a big 80 minutes when it probably wasn't the plan considering Conan was on the bench, it is only a six day turnaround as well.

Henshaw and Leavy are in there in hope rather than expectation, SOB has been so bad so far I reckon Leavy would be worth a punt though if VdF is out.
True but CJ is fresh in terms of he never missed fitness session so like would make more sense to loose POM.

Henshaw is 100% confirmed as out. And Leavy 95% confirmed. Sean Cronin is rumoured to be back in at 16 and Sean O'Brien most likely to replace Van Der Flier although CJ to 7 is being noted as possible too

Have I completely lost the plot or is James Ryan the best option to take over the captaincy after the world cup?

Even ignoring questions about O'Mahony/Sexton's leadership, neither of them are likely to be around at the next world cup (O'Mahony maybe but that's an outside shot). Looking through the team, I genuinely can't see a better option to do it.

Latest posts