• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

Andy Friend is doing a brilliant job getting those players up to the standard they're now at.

He is.

Its also good that they are not being overlooked because they are at Connacht - it can only make us stronger if players don't feel the need to move away from the West to get noticed for national selection.

and kicker if we were in dire straits.
Yes which more so makes him an ideal 23 in this squad. He covers to a high level 15 and centre and could do the wing.
But no doubt a horses for courses mentality Schmidt will adopt.

Tom Farrell is a centre, does he can play another position ?
No, he's just a centre. He's playing extremely well.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12192630

Such confidence prefaces his response to the suggestion the decade age gap between he and Johnny Sexton will gradually form a natural transition.

"Best case scenario would be to overtake him not just wait for him to stop. That's one of my goals at the moment. That takes time and sometimes I have to tell myself to be patient. He's obviously world player of the year but it still drives me on so I can almost be better than him."
I love that attitude from Joey Carbery. He backs his ability and doesn't want to wait for an opportunity, he wants to give Joe Schmidt a decision to make.

Tadhg Beirne is out for Ireland's opening 2 games in the 6 Nations.

Jack Conan, Andrew Conway, Rob Kearney and Jack McGrath aren't travelling to Portugal with Kearney and McGrath expected to play for the Champ Champs this weekend. Adam Byrne and Quinn Roux have been called up to the camp in Portugal as injury cover.

It'll be any combination of Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw starting in the centre. I'd say Ringrose is nailed on, his partner is a 50:50 call.

It'll be any combination of Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw starting in the centre. I'd say Ringrose is nailed on, his partner is a 50:50 call.
Yep, I think the only question at that is whether Henshaw is match fit too. Aki has been very good for Ireland and we're blessed to have him but he's a very high quality back up to Henshaw who is the best defensive 12 in rugby, brings as much to the attack as Aki, although in different and perhps less obvious ways, while also being a kick chase option and a kicking option in open play.

Unfortunately for Aki too, he's either a starter or nothing, there's no room for him as number 23 ahead of Addison or even Larmour and Conway (Both of whom are a bit of the ball at the moment) due to his lack of versatility.

For England I'd expect the following:

1. Healy
2. Best
£. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. POM
7. Van der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Earls
15. Kearney

Cronin, McGrath, Porter, Henderson, SOB, Blade/Cooney, Carbery, Addison/Larmour (I'd go with Addison)

Last edited:
Yep, I think the only question at that is whether Henshaw is match fit too. Aki has been very good for Ireland and we're blessed to have him but he's a very high quality back up to Henshaw who is the best defensive 12 in rugby, brings as much to the attack as Aki, although in different and perhps less obvious ways, while also being a kick chase option and a kicking option in open play.

Unfortunately for Aki too, he's either a starter or nothing, there's no room for him as number 23 ahead of Addison or even Larmour and Conway (Both of whom are a bit of the ball at the moment) due to his lack of versatility.

For England I'd expect the following:

1. Healy
2. Best
£. Furlong
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. POM
7. Van der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Earls
15. Kearney

Cronin, McGrath, Porter, Beirne, SOB, Blade/Cooney, Carbery, Addison/Larmour (I'd go with Addison)

Agree on Addison.
Tadgh out so Henderson will be 19.
Suprised SOB wasn't left back for gametime this weekend so may be he will start 7. Jordi has been superb recently too.

Cooney will be 21. Was superb when he came on Saturday

Wow Henderson is like a player made of glass. And as for Marcel C....

Agree Snoop. Presume Dillane or maybe Quinn Roux.

Dillane on the bench for England probably. Toner and Ryan will probably play near 80 minutes now.

Thornbury is the best lock at Connacht and he must be scratching his head looking at the players behind him going off to Ireland camps every few months.

I'd have this against England
Healy, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, O'Mahony, Van Der Flier, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney
Cronin, McGrath, Porter, Dillane, O'Brien, Cooney, Carbery, Larmour

Its hard not to see Aki in 23. If Henshaw starts Aki will be 23. Joey covers 15 and Aki covers centre with Ringrose moving to wing if either wing goes down

What value does Aki add from the bench? Has Schmidt ever gone for a centre option in the 23 shirt? Does replacing Henshaw or Ringrose with Aki 50/60 minutes really provide a different/more potent attacking threat for the opposition to deal with. Is Carbery really a solid option at 15 at international level, or Ringrose on the wing? I can't see Schmidt going for Aki. I reckon he'll go with Larmour; I'd go with Addison for the added versatility.

What value does Aki add from the bench? Has Schmidt ever gone for a centre option in the 23 shirt? Does replacing Henshaw or Ringrose with Aki 50/60 minutes really provide a different/more potent attacking threat for the opposition to deal with. Is Carbery really a solid option at 15 at international level, or Ringrose on the wing? I can't see Schmidt going for Aki. I reckon he'll go with Larmour; I'd go with Addison for the added versatility.
I'd go with Addison myself but just think he will look at replacing Henshaw aftwr 55min and keep the physicality up.

Don't see the point of having Aki on the bench, he only covers one position and it's not one we're likely to replace. Henshaw hardly has a track record of dropping off the pace in the closing stages. The one concern is that Henshaw is coming off an injury but if that's a problem we should just start Aki. Larmour and Addison both cover centre anyway. It's harsh on Aki but he's definitely either a starter or he's not in the 23. It's not unlikely that he will start in any case.

On SOB he'd be a great bench option. Covers all three positions and it'd be beyond demoralising for the opposition to see him come on.

Can't help thinking Schmidt will throw in a surprise somewhere but I don't know where it'll be.

Latest posts