• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

Can't help thinking Schmidt will throw in a surprise somewhere but I don't know where it'll be.
It's a long shot but Ireland need fullback depth and there's a conundrum in the centre in trying to fit Bundee Aki, Garry Ringrose and Robbie Henshaw into two positions. Perhaps the surprise, if there is one, is Robbie Henshaw shifting to 15 for a game.

It's a long shot but Ireland need fullback depth and there's a conundrum in the centre in trying to fit Bundee Aki, Garry Ringrose and Robbie Henshaw into two positions. Perhaps the surprise, if there is one, is Robbie Henshaw shifting to 15 for a game.
I don't think he has the fitness for 15 anymore. He's built himself to be a strong running centre now and don't think he would do as a 15 at international level anymore.

Yeah, I think Henshaw is an out and out 12 who can shift to 13 in a bind now.

The squad is settled, only a few guys on the periphery need game time. (Carbery as a starter and Beirne, Addison and Larmour) The only potential surprise I see is a bit of rotation v France.

Yeah, I think Henshaw is an out and out 12 who can shift to 13 in a bind now.

The squad is settled, only a few guys on the periphery need game time. (Carbery as a starter and Beirne, Addison and Larmour) The only potential surprise I see is a bit of rotation v France.
Agreed. Carbery will play 2 games I feel. Italy and ??? All rest while winnable of course won't allow for complacency.
Beirne will start 1 game for certain.
Rob Kearney won't play all 5 games but who gets 15 I don't know is it Larmour or Conway or Addison.

Also will we see Best play all 5 games as a starter.
Factor in French game to Wales game is 6day turn around

Well the Leinster game answered one question and raised an entirely different one regarding next week.

There wasn't a huge chance of Kilcoyne making the bench against England anyway but I think McGrath put an end to any of that talk. Got caught out once maybe on the edge of a ruck early on for a break from the 9 (but that was more on Bent really), but other than that was superb, he carried well, dominated his man in the scrum and won two or three turnover penalties.

Kearney on the other hand was awful, missed three easy tackles that you'd expect any professional player to make. He'll still start against England in all likelihood but if that had been Larmour he'd be slaughtered.

Well the Leinster game answered one question and raised an entirely different one regarding next week.

There wasn't a huge chance of Kilcoyne making the bench against England anyway but I think McGrath put an end to any of that talk. Got caught out once maybe on the edge of a ruck early on for a break from the 9 (but that was more on Bent really), but other than that was superb, he carried well, dominated his man in the scrum and won two or three turnover penalties.

Kearney on the other hand was awful, missed three easy tackles that you'd expect any professional player to make. He'll still start against England in all likelihood but if that had been Larmour he'd be slaughtered.
To be fair. Not really comparable for either as Scarlets were poor and well standard was very poor as expected due to drop off in both sides after last few weeks.

These games are procedure more than learning.

This is the difference between england and ireland, you are all arguing and debaiting about which players should play where such as aki or henshaw (both good players and both youd prob be happy with) or do you want kearny or the young promising lamour at 15, where as we are looking at our centres arguing if we should have a 10 at 12 or a 1 dimensional teo at 12 or devoto at 12 who has had a grand total of about 5 min internation rugby.

Oh the joys of being english with 12 teams to choose from :)

Alright time for the post mortem. I'm trying to avoid overreacting because we've always been slow starters under Schmidt

I know the Vunipolas are great players but even still seeing us dominated in the tackle like that was a surprise. Everyone except Ringrose and maybe Josh Vdf (who got through a lot of work but wasn't particularly effective) needs to have a long look at themselves and that includes the coaches.

Healy and Furlong were alright, not awful but they weren't able to impose themselves on the game either. I know why Best is in the team but he offers less then nothing in open play at this point. He's been carried by the rest of the pack and unfortunately that's even more noticeable when the other forwards are struggling. Cronin and Scannell must be wondering what they can do. Porter and Cronin were impressive off the bench and should have been on earlier. Give Porter three or four years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting.

Ryan had a decent game, not as exceptional as we've come expect but far from poor. I think Toner was decent, I think he tends to get judged based on the result due to his contributions not being obvious. Roux was alright off the bench but if Toner isn't fit for next week then we we're doomed. (Or we could get get Donnacha Ryan back and put out a Ryan-Ryan lock partnership.)

Backrow were completely outplayed. Van Der Flier got through a decent amount of work and will be far more effective against the Scots. 6 metres from Stander sums is shockingly poor given that he was the main ball carrier there. O'Mahony's one and only contribution to the game was his fight with Sinckler. The main positive from this game for me was Sean O'Brien playing well when he came off the bench. He's been injured so long that I think a lot of people have forgotten how good he is. At his best, he's legitimately one of the best players in the world. He's got to start next week, for me ahead of Stander but really any of the three could hardly complain if they were dropped. I think Conan deserves another shot too, for some reasons that I don't fully understand a lot of people don't rate him but he could have made a big difference yesterday. Leinster tend to be much worse without him.

Sexton and Murray are the best halfback partnership in Irish history by a mile, but they were so f****** bad today. When the replacement hooker creates more than the rest of the team put together, something has gone wrong. Murray has been poor since coming back from injury and I think there's a genuine case to start John Cooney against the Scots. Cooney has a more impressive body of work over the last 9-10 months, and to be honest Murray needs a massive kick up the arse. No one is bigger than the team, even if they're our best ever player in their position. He was lucky to keep his place at Munster ahead of Mathewson, and Cooney was excellent off the bench. I'm not saying it should happen, but if it did I wouldn't complain. Sexton was average but it was his first game in a month so I'd expect him to be better next week.

Aki isn't a top international 12. Good backup to have for Henshaw but shouldn't be a starter when everyone is fit. Henshaw should start at 12 next week. Ringrose was our best player, I'll cry if he's injured. Chris Farrell is a more than adequate replacement though.

Back three was a nightmare, I was cautiously optimistic about Henshaw at 15 but it turned out to be Kearney minus all the good things. Earls was poor. I'd prefer Conway or Larmour next week. Stockdale had some good moments with the ball in hand but after he messed up for the try he seemed determined to score a 60 metre worldie to make up for it and ignored a whole load of passes because of it. He's still young and I wouldn't be surprised if he rips the Scots apart nextnweek. I thought Larmour did a decent job when he came on, he was much better Earls but he came in too far for Slade's first try.

I'm trying not to overreact here because we've always been slow starters to Six Nations and international windows in general under Schmidt, but there's a difference between starting slowly and being comprehensively outplayed at home in more or less every facet of the game, on and off the pitch. If it wasn't for a late try more or less exclusively involving subs that should have been on earlier we'd have lost 32-13 at home to England which isn't an acceptable score.

This is a good thing in the long run though, even if it's beyond painful now. We need changes next week though because a lot of people are looking WAY to comfortable in their jerseys.

Looks like CJ is done. Fractured his cheek and eye socket in 1st minute and played on until mid 2nd half.

Alright time for the post mortem. I'm trying to avoid overreacting because we've always been slow starters under Schmidt

I know the Vunipolas are great players but even still seeing us dominated in the tackle like that was a surprise. Everyone except Ringrose and maybe Josh Vdf (who got through a lot of work but wasn't particularly effective) needs to have a long look at themselves and that includes the coaches.

Healy and Furlong were alright, not awful but they weren't able to impose themselves on the game either. I know why Best is in the team but he offers less then nothing in open play at this point. He's been carried by the rest of the pack and unfortunately that's even more noticeable when the other forwards are struggling. Cronin and Scannell must be wondering what they can do. Porter and Cronin were impressive off the bench and should have been on earlier. Give Porter three or four years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting.

Ryan had a decent game, not as exceptional as we've come expect but far from poor. I think Toner was decent, I think he tends to get judged based on the result due to his contributions not being obvious. Roux was alright off the bench but if Toner isn't fit for next week then we we're doomed. (Or we could get get Donnacha Ryan back and put out a Ryan-Ryan lock partnership.)

Backrow were completely outplayed. Van Der Flier got through a decent amount of work and will be far more effective against the Scots. 6 metres from Stander sums is shockingly poor given that he was the main ball carrier there. O'Mahony's one and only contribution to the game was his fight with Sinckler. The main positive from this game for me was Sean O'Brien playing well when he came off the bench. He's been injured so long that I think a lot of people have forgotten how good he is. At his best, he's legitimately one of the best players in the world. He's got to start next week, for me ahead of Stander but really any of the three could hardly complain if they were dropped. I think Conan deserves another shot too, for some reasons that I don't fully understand a lot of people don't rate him but he could have made a big difference yesterday. Leinster tend to be much worse without him.

Sexton and Murray are the best halfback partnership in Irish history by a mile, but they were so f****** bad today. When the replacement hooker creates more than the rest of the team put together, something has gone wrong. Murray has been poor since coming back from injury and I think there's a genuine case to start John Cooney against the Scots. Cooney has a more impressive body of work over the last 9-10 months, and to be honest Murray needs a massive kick up the arse. No one is bigger than the team, even if they're our best ever player in their position. He was lucky to keep his place at Munster ahead of Mathewson, and Cooney was excellent off the bench. I'm not saying it should happen, but if it did I wouldn't complain. Sexton was average but it was his first game in a month so I'd expect him to be better next week.

Aki isn't a top international 12. Good backup to have for Henshaw but shouldn't be a starter when everyone is fit. Henshaw should start at 12 next week. Ringrose was our best player, I'll cry if he's injured. Chris Farrell is a more than adequate replacement though.

Back three was a nightmare, I was cautiously optimistic about Henshaw at 15 but it turned out to be Kearney minus all the good things. Earls was poor. I'd prefer Conway or Larmour next week. Stockdale had some good moments with the ball in hand but after he messed up for the try he seemed determined to score a 60 metre worldie to make up for it and ignored a whole load of passes because of it. He's still young and I wouldn't be surprised if he rips the Scots apart nextnweek. I thought Larmour did a decent job when he came on, he was much better Earls but he came in too far for Slade's first try.

I'm trying not to overreact here because we've always been slow starters to Six Nations and international windows in general under Schmidt, but there's a difference between starting slowly and being comprehensively outplayed at home in more or less every facet of the game, on and off the pitch. If it wasn't for a late try more or less exclusively involving subs that should have been on earlier we'd have lost 32-13 at home to England which isn't an acceptable score.

This is a good thing in the long run though, even if it's beyond painful now. We need changes next week though because a lot of people are looking WAY to comfortable in their jerseys.
I think there's a bit too much doom and gloom there, that Ireland 23 could beat the England one on their day.

Saying that, we don't have a 15 who can execute Farrell's defensive system apart from Kearney.
Aki is a good international but playing him as first receiver and asking him to playmaker was more than a bit daft when Sexton, Henshaw and Ringrose are on the pitch. Still, Henshaw is a better 12 and shouldn't be used at 15 again so I would drop him from the 15, maybe even 23.
Best might be on his way out and himself and Van Der Flier aren't cut out for matches of brute force, you probably have to replace one or the other to ensure a foothold in a game where it's clear the opposition want to bully you.

I think more change has to be made to how we play rugby rather than personnel, nobody foresaw us losing a physical battle because it hasn't happened in so long, NZ and England in 2016 are the last times I remember. We need to know how to get a foothold in those type of games and build into them, I'm glad it's Joe's job and not mine. I wouldn't know where to start.

Looks like CJ is done. Fractured his cheek and eye socket in 1st minute and played on until mid 2nd half.
Did he? Jesus Christ. Massive respect for going on after that but probably a mistake.

He could probably do with a break as well though, he's not been at his most effective this season.

Did he? Jesus Christ. Massive respect for going on after that but probably a mistake.

He could probably do with a break as well though, he's not been at his most effective this season.
He's having 1 of his best seasons domestically. Stats back that up.

Wasn't good yesterday and if he wasn't injured and SOB started ahead of him next week then fair enough. But he has been superb this year hugely.

Agree with Alpha that it was more the tactics yesterday. Aki looked uncomfortable as a 1st receivee, we probably had too many with too little game time due to injury and simply put England were hungrier on the day and got tactics right. These days happen in sport

Seems like I'm in the minority in saying that I thought Robbie Henshaw played well. I thought it was very noticable that he was being used as a third centre when Ireland had the ball. Distribution isn't a strength of his game though. If Ireland wanted an auxiliary distributor, Joey Carbery would perhaps have been a better choice at 15. Maybe he should have stayed at Leinster and played 15 this season!

You never want to loose but maybe this defeat gives Ireland more scope to use the 6 Nations as a development tool. Championship victory is now unlikely. Had Ireland won, they'd have kept the same 15 and gunned for retaining their ***le. Now there's an opportunity to blood players.

It could make sense to start Joey Carbery in the next two games. Johnny Sexton hadn't played in a month and looked undercooked. Carbery needs game time. Sexton starts in Leinster's next two games to get match sharpness.

Ireland performed admirably last summer without Rory Best. Sean Cronin deserves his opportunity ahead of him. Losing Best from the team means Peter O'Mahony assumes the captaincy and James Ryan steps up into a leadership role. That's no bad thing.

CJ Stander's injury is obviously very unfortunate. Do you go with Sean O'Brien, Jordi Murphy or Jack Conan to fill the spot?

Seems like I'm in the minority in saying that I thought Robbie Henshaw played well. I thought it was very noticable that he was being used as a third centre when Ireland had the ball. Distribution isn't a strength of his game though. If Ireland wanted an auxiliary distributor, Joey Carbery would perhaps have been a better choice at 15. Maybe he should have stayed at Leinster and played 15 this season!

You never want to loose but maybe this defeat gives Ireland more scope to use the 6 Nations as a development tool. Championship victory is now unlikely. Had Ireland won, they'd have kept the same 15 and gunned for retaining their ***le. Now there's an opportunity to blood players.

It could make sense to start Joey Carbery in the next two games. Johnny Sexton hadn't played in a month and looked undercooked. Carbery needs game time. Sexton starts in Leinster's next two games to get match sharpness.

Ireland performed admirably last summer without Rory Best. Sean Cronin deserves his opportunity ahead of him. Losing Best from the team means Peter O'Mahony assumes the captaincy and James Ryan steps up into a leadership role. That's no bad thing.

CJ Stander's injury is obviously very unfortunate. Do you go with Sean O'Brien, Jordi Murphy or Jack Conan to fill the spot?
On the 1st bit. It's not that Henshaw is a wasted look back there just it's hard without any gametime as a 15 to fall back in to there for a game like that.
Carbery is a pointless conversation as he wants to be a 10 only and that is fair too.

On Best he has played well last few weeks but time waits for no man and if Japan is the target then maybe we have to be realistic in the modern game he may struggle in that environment.
On the 8 shirt it's an interesting debate as I think Conan isn't fully up to it. I always doubt Seanie as an 8 but who know. Certainly has the skills. And well Jordi is probably who I'd look at as he knows the position and has played well there

Massive respect to CJ for playing on after his injury, but why on earth did he stay on? Our best backrow ever was on the bench and he was seriously injured, should have been a no brainer by half time at the very least when he clearly wasn't at his best (for very obvious and understandable reasons).

Joe won't do it but I'd start Conan at 8 next week. He's an exceptional rugby player who deserves a proper chance at international level. SOB should obviously come into the team for next week, I think what position the question. POM has enough credit in the bank to be forgiven for one (admittedly awful) performance. I think Vdf could be the one to miss out.

Cronin deserves to start. In exceptional form at Leinster. I don't think Joe fully trusts him so it probably wont happen but he deserves to stake a claim for a starting spot. Injury denied him a chance in Australia and he deserves it here. I don't know about the captaincy if we take Best out though, POM isn't at Sexton levels of losing his temper with refs but I don't think he's much better. He did a good enough job in Australia though to deserve to keep it here though.

There's an argument to start either of two ex-Leinster players at 9/10, but probably not both. Henshaw back to 12 please next week and Kearney back in as well. Against the Scots I'd probably to for Conway on the wing ahead of Earls and Larmour. Larmour showed up well enough under the high ball in the second half though and should keep his spot in the 23 at the very least.

Latest posts