• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad 2018/2019

I'd kinda hope not. We know Aki and Henshaw doesn't work all that well. I'd rather see Chris Farrell or Addison dropped into 13. Maybe even reverse it so Henshaw is 12 and Aki 13 (Tom Farrell is 12 at Connacht isn't he?).
This is what Inthink has to be flagged. In centre it's Aki or Henshaw not both. They are both top 12s but neither a 13. I'd play Addison ahead at 13

But it wasn't because of them. Like they are just not good together as they both want to do the same roles.
Ireland 38-3 SA
France 13 - 15 Ireland
Ireland 35-0 Italy (At 43 mins when Henshaw went off)
Australia 16-20 Ireland

And the one loss in a game with an under strength side
Australia 18-9 Ireland

They've conceded 4 tries in 4 and a half games of rugby, I wouldn't call that "not working". They're not the most inspiring pair in attack, and Ringrose is an improvement but I wouldn't look at those games and dismiss them, no one has done enough to knock that as our second choice centre pairing in my opinion.

Ireland 38-3 SA
France 13 - 15 Ireland
Ireland 35-0 Italy (At 43 mins when Henshaw went off)
Australia 16-20 Ireland

And the one loss in a game with an under strength side
Australia 18-9 Ireland

They've conceded 4 tries in 4 and a half games of rugby, I wouldn't call that "not working". They're not the most inspiring pair in attack, and Ringrose is an improvement but I wouldn't look at those games and dismiss them, no one has done enough to knock that as our second choice centre pairing in my opinion.
No but teams have figured out now to attack us out wide. They aren't a disaster but like they aren't the best and attacking wise offer very little. They both are too narrow

But it wasn't because of them. Like they are just not good together as they both want to do the same roles.

The other spanner to throw may be Rhys Ruddock as a lock

I love Rhys but is he tall enough? 6'3" according to Wikipedia which isn't really enough. I don't think we'd get away with it at this level. I'd wouldn't mind to see Dillane start as he's shown promise at this level before. Not sure what Schmidt sees in Roux to be honest. I'd imagine that O'Mahony will call the lineout anyway.

Going on past selections Aki/Henshaw is the most likely centre partnership. Which is going to lead to a beyond uninspiring attacking performance. No one in that backline (except for Stockdale) is going to create anything unless Murray and Sexton suddenly rediscover form (which admittedly wouldn't surprise me at all). I think Farrell's performances against Wales and Argentina last year should earn him first crack but then again we leaked tries in those games and Aki/Henshaw might be the best option defensively which should be a priority against Scotland.

No but teams have figured out now to attack us out wide. They aren't a disaster but like they aren't the best and attacking wise offer very little. They both are too narrow
Well, England figured it out, "teams" haven't, and that was largely due to kicking smartly without Kearney to cover and aided massively by physical dominance which is far less likely with these two in the centre.

Well, England figured it out, "teams" haven't, and that was largely due to kicking smartly without Kearney to cover and aided massively by physical dominance which is far less likely with these two in the centre.
Teams have. We haven't been beaten but its been well documented to attack Ireland wide. The 2 saviours in it as has been widely pointed out by pundits coaches and other. Ringrose has pace in that 13 jersey and Kearneys ability tonread the back field and organise it.

I'm not saying we won't win with Aki/Henshaw just if that the route we go we need to be hopeful of getting ahead and staying there

So... whats the thinking on Conor Murray folks?

He's in a pretty bad run of form - and it is affecting his mentals. Last year he'd have run that try right under the posts. This year, mind is preoccupied with relief at scoring and didn't. Cue a missed (albeit very bad miss) conversion.

So... whats the thinking on Conor Murray folks?

He's in a pretty bad run of form - and it is affecting his mentals. Last year he'd have run that try right under the posts. This year, mind is preoccupied with relief at scoring and didn't. Cue a missed (albeit very bad miss) conversion.
He has to play his way out of it, a personal challenge for him made easier if he gets to play with Johnny and CJ against France and Wales I think.

He's stuck in poor form, I've seen things trying to link it to his injury in the media but I'd say that's just saltiness over the fact that he wouldn't tell them what was wrong with him.

I'd say the best thing is trying to let him play his way out of it, he's too good to let something like that affect him long term. Even great players go through periods of poor form, BOD in 2008 being an example. The Italy and France games should help him get his confidence back, to an extent he might just need to practice passing a lot.

I doubt it'll continue all the way to Japan which means I'm not overly worried about it to be honest. There's only one Ireland game that we're at risk of losing between now and then (unless France do something ridiculous).

So should he be sent back to Munster for this weekend?

(on the assumption that more gametime = better?)

So should he be sent back to Munster for this weekend?

(on the assumption that more gametime = better?)
Maybe, but he won't. It's against protocol!

I don't necessarily think he needs to find form with Ireland or anytime soon for that matter. It'd be great to have him firing for Cardiff though.

Maybe, but he won't. It's against protocol!

I don't necessarily think he needs to find form with Ireland or anytime soon for that matter. It'd be great to have him firing for Cardiff though.

Well, I'm just kinda wondering what happens if he is still playing like a drain in the Autumn. We haven't exactly spent much time developing options.

Well, I'm just kinda wondering what happens if he is still playing like a drain in the Autumn. We haven't exactly spent much time developing options.
Kieran Marmion has 24 caps including starts in wins over New Zealand and a Grand Slam chasing England.

Luke McGrath has started a Champions Cup final, a Pro 14 final and come off the bench in another Pro 14 final.

John Cooney has stepped up brilliantly for Ulster to such an extent that they haven't missed Ruan Pienaar at scrum half.

Jamison Gibson Park qualifies for Ireland during the summer and is in sensational form this season.

If Conor Murray plays like a drain, there are other options. Murray himself was very inexperienced when he got the call in 2011 due to Tomás O'Leary's form falling off the edge of a cliff. Murray is an outstanding player but he isn't indispensable.

Strange as this may sound, I still have severe reservations on Marmion. I rated Cooney higher when the two were in Connacht, and I rate Blade higher now - I don't see what he does better than anyone else beyond a bit of sniping.

I'd want to see McGrath playing behind a pack under pressure before judging just where he is - preferably in T1 internationals. How would he have handled the England game for instance.

Is JGP in the wider squad at the moment to learn the systems etc?

Strange as this may sound, I still have severe reservations on Marmion. I rated Cooney higher when the two were in Connacht, and I rate Blade higher now - I don't see what he does better than anyone else beyond a bit of sniping.

I'd want to see McGrath playing behind a pack under pressure before judging just where he is - preferably in T1 internationals. How would he have handled the England game for instance.

I'd presume JGP is like Kleyn has been. In camps and training away. Kleyn even spent time in week up to Scotland game training as a starter. Just to get used to how it works.

Agree with Snoop though that there is plenty who are capable. And I will say it again Conor is off form but a lot is attitude too. I said it the time of Exeter game, Gloucester game and still since. The best thing that could happen is to drop him. Form is off and you'd loose nothing by starting Cooney.
Here in Munster he is feeling the heat as Alby is outplaying him and being a model pro.

I agree in that I don't see what Marmion does better than the other replacement scrumhalves. Cooney is a better passer and kicker, McGrath is better in support play and at playing with tempo. Marmion is probably the best defender and I'm sure Joe Schmidt has his reasons for going with him.

Not sure whether Gibson Park has been involved but his form merits consideration. Leinster are extremely well served with him and McGrath vying for the 9 shirt.

Gibson-Park has been the best 9 in the country by a mile this season.

Don't see what Marmion brings but at the same time Joe sees a lot of things that I don't so I'm not going to complain about it.

Gibson-Park has been the best 9 in the country by a mile this season.

Don't see what Marmion brings but at the same time Joe sees a lot of things that I don't so I'm not going to complain about it.
He's been good but wouldn't say by a mile. Alby has been superb for Munster, Blade has been very lively for Connacht and what Cooney has done in Ulster has really impressed me the most. He has became a heartbeat of that team and that was evident in their game away to Leicester when he came on and everything seemed to calm.

Mire the point is there is a lot of capable options. JGP could be superb at international level but equally he could crumble. Basically he is an unknown quantity at this level until he plays. I don't doubt he will be up to it but at the moment Marmion is probably the best of the rest in Joe's eyes based on performing at this level.

Latest posts