Ireland v Scotland

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Ireland.gif
Ireland v Scotland
Scotland.gif
</div>

It's been 10 years since Scotland last won in Dublin and they'll be looking to put that right on their first visit to Croke Park this Saturday.

Ireland will be looking to match what the Scots did in the 1990s by winning all the games between the sides at Dublin this decade.

So was the second half in Paris the start of yet another revival of Ireland under Eddie or was it really a case of France imploding, personally I think it was more of the latter and so Ireland will be in for a serious test from this underperforming Scottish side.

Doubts still remain over the credentials of the coach and a convincing performance from Ireland will go some way to dispelling those doubts, however misguided they may seem.

Will Scotland produce a regal performance for the watching Princess Royal or will it be Ireland who once again take the Centenary Quaich???

Ireland should absolutly walk this game - Scotland have been absolutly clueless this campaign and unless FH has been working hard on our defence were in for a hammering. Really hope FH makes changes for this game though - before the tournament he was harping on all week about strength in depth and competition for places. Well Frank, our performances so far simply arent acceptable, so try selecting different players now before the axe swings.

I doesnt even matter if the players coming in are much better, being dropped may just be the boot up the erse some of the guys need to start performing.

Im really not hoping for much from this game. A ticket would be nice (purley so I can experience Croke Park first-hand) and a Try would be fantastic, but other than that?

Both Lamont and Webster have been included in Scotland's training squad which should help the Scottish cause for dotting down over the white line!

Im more positive about this game than the Welsh one as we had played terrible the weekend before and had lost several key players. Now with a fortnights break and White,Lamont and Webster back we should be able to offer a bit more in attack, our defense has been exposed horribly so far so im sure thats an area theyve been working on.

Ireland will win no doubt but im confident we can be considerably better than the disastrous Wales match.

Paterson in a 10 and Rory on the wing - so at least FH is trying something different.

Back row is yet to be confirmed, but I would be disapointed if Barclay isnt included. Hes been one of the few players to impress me so far: I think someone counted 7 turnovers won by him against france. Strokoch replacing White a 6. (Mike Blair takes over as captain)

Will post full team once confirmed.

TBH I want to see;

6 - Strokoch
7 - Rennie
8- Hogg

Two inexperienced flankers, but at some point in the game this is the back row I'd like to see on the field.
Rennie had a great game against Munster, even stepped Doug Howlett.
Hogg and Blair work well together on the 8-9 axis at Edinburgh.
I've not seen much from Strokoch but seeing as he's already been picked he must be doing something right.
I think this game will be similar to Edinburgh v Munster last week, minus the lack of scoring in the first half.

TBH I want to see;

6 - Strokoch
7 - Rennie
8- Hogg

Two inexperienced flankers, but at some point in the game this is the back row I'd like to see on the field.
Rennie had a great game against Munster, even stepped Doug Howlett.
Hogg and Blair work well together on the 8-9 axis at Edinburgh.
I've not seen much from Strokoch but seeing as he's already been picked he must be doing something right.
I think this game will be similar to Edinburgh v Munster last week, minus the lack of scoring in the first half. [/b]

An Away victory? Sounds good to me! ;)

Have to say, im surprised Hogg didnt start in the opening games but its good to see him back in there.

Would still take Barclay over Rennie provided hes fit, but that said ive not seen much of Rennie this season.

Strokoch was the Guinness premiership player of the month in December was he not? Its just a shame most of our good players seem to play in the back row! :(

Irish Lineup just announced:

15 - Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster) 80
14 - Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 10
13 - Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) 81 Captain
12 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 21
11 - Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 3
10 - Ronan O’Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster) 79
9 - Eoin Reddan (Wasps) 7

1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster) 53
2 - Bernard Jackman (Clontarf/Leinster) 6
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster) 81
4 - Donncha O’Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 42
5 - Mick O’Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster) 13
6 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster) 29
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster) 43
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Clontarf/Leinster) 5

Replacements:
16 - Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 19
17 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster) 4
18 - Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 49
19 - Simon Easterby (Llanelli) 63
20 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster) 80
21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster) 6
22 - Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster) 58

I thought Horgan was a shoe-in, but am very happy that Bowe gets a chance considering his form at the moment.

Mick O'Driscoll is everything that's wrong with Irish rugby. Pointless including Easterby on the bench. Fitzgerald and Young remain with the squad due to concerns over BOD and Buckley

[/b]

He was the Guiness premiership player of the month in December and has been one of the standout performers in the table topping Glouscester side.Im delighted that hes getting his chance and he is one of the best flankers we have, hoping he joins Barclay with Taylor at 8.

Mick O'Driscoll is everything that's wrong with Irish rugby. [/b]
I'm not his biggest fan, but he did well in Paris. If were screaming for form selections, lets be consistent about it. He's worth his spot, and O'Connell's on the bench if needed.

No real complaints about the team to be honest. I'd like to see him blood a few newer players at home, fitzgerald especially, but given the selections of late, this is a moderate improvement.

Yeah I'm happy with that team, he's made the changes that needed to be made, Murphy out is a given as was Mal who was a passengev following his opening 20 minutes against the Italians so fair enough with those changes, enough has been said about Easterby so need to go over old ground.

Yes it always baffles me why Murphy is in the side, he seems to be beaten easily in a one on one, lacks physicality as well as the pace he used to have.

Apparently nobody loves Geordan Murphy in Ireland which is why he is only a good player for us, personally I wouldn't go that far, whereas he's loved at Leicester which is why he performs so well there. Someone needs to tell Stuart Barnes that there's still quite a step up from Premiership rugby to top class test match rugby and it's one that Geordan Murphy has simply never made on a consistent basis.

If Ally Hogg starts at 8, with either Rennie or Barclay at 7 I'll be mostly happy with the team. I'm gutted for De Luca, he made a few mistakes but he needs a chance to find his feet, especially considering he only got given the ball about 6 times in the 2 games he played.

Barclay's just been rules out I think. Well I heard it on the radio today that he suffered some kind of hand injury in training.
As for Murphy, in his defense, he plays at fullback, not on the wing, so the possession he gets there is totally different then he would get on the wing. That probably explains why he does better for Leicster. Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to see him dropped as I think he's a defensive liability wherever he plays but someone should stick up for him :)

In training?

Its been all over the scottish press that what really happened was: John was at a dinner party last weekend, where he was sitting holding a glass on his knee. then a 'mate' came along and sat on his hand, causing the glass to break and cutting Barclays hand.

and to quote FH "apparently his mates arse is al right". Good, thats OK then! ;)

confirmed today:
7 - Rennie
8 - Hogg

Latest posts