• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

Addison has a back injury doesn't he?
Think I heard he's not back till next season

Delighted for Haley
Rumours that the injury to Will was a bit worst than initialy reported and the time frame was tight.

Tom Farrell probably lost out to Ringrose and Chris Farrell being in great form. Despite Munster's backiline woes Chris was superb.

Interestingly I see suggested that Jean Kleyn may be able to play in a warm up. Not sure how that would work as it means he'd be capped before his time.

Addison has a back injury doesn't he?
Think I heard he's not back till next season

Delighted for Haley
Hasn't played since January anyway.

Think Haley is a decent all-rounder but I'm not sure he's there yet.

No Tom Farrell is really disappointing.

Yeah Kleyn is available, basically a superior Roux so the tires will definitely be kicked. It's residency not actually playing which is why he'll be available.

Believe JGP and Marshall will become eligible during the WC but not until after the warm ups.

Hard to be too annoyed by such a large selection. Would have liked Byrne but no idea what the story is with his injury, not that it seems to have made a difference if he isn't specifically mentioned.

Edit:
Stole this breakdown by position.

Ireland Training Squad Rugby World Cup Pre-Season
Forwards (24)

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 117 caps
Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 68 caps
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 7 caps
Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 14 caps

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 88 caps
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 29 caps
Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 54 caps

Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 9 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 33 caps
Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 14 caps
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 18 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 5 caps
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 14 caps
Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 44 caps
Jean Kleyn (Munster) 0 caps
James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 17 caps
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 64 caps

Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 14 caps
Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 27 caps
Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 57 caps
Rhys Ruddock (Lansdowne/Leinster) 21 caps
CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 31 caps
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 17 caps

Backs (20)

John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 8 caps
Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht) 25 caps
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 10 caps
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 72 caps

Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 18 caps
Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 83 caps

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 17 caps
Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 5 caps
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 37 caps
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 20 caps
Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 3 caps

Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 12 caps
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 77 caps
Mike Haley (Munster) 0 caps
Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) 17 caps
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 90 caps
Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster) 13 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 19 caps

Unavailable due to injury
Dan Leavy (Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (Leinster)

Last edited:
Yeah Kleyn is available, basically a superior Roux so the tires will definitely be kicked. It's residency not actually playing which is why he'll be available.

Believe JGP and Marshall will become eligible during the WC but not until after the warm ups.

Hard to be too annoyed by such a large selection. Would have liked Byrne but no idea what the story is with his injury, not that it seems to have made a difference if he isn't specifically mentioned.
Kleyn is not qualified until the eve of the World Cup so technically can't play any warm ups.

Rhys is not qualified until November,

I haven't watched much of Kleyn, what's he like? Does he have a real chance of displacing Ryan, Henderson, Beirne or Toner?

Kleyn is not qualified until the eve of the World Cup so technically can't play any warm ups.

I'd always heard Kleyn would be available for warm ups but you're right.

I had heard Marshall qualifies the day before the final but doesn't really matter either way.

In fairness Addison isn't mentioned either and surely he'd be there if fit.

Schmidt must really rate him then if he's calling him up.

Still it'll be very hard for him to make the squad if he can't play warmups (and with the players ahead of him).

I haven't watched much of Kleyn, what's he like? Does he have a real chance of displacing Ryan, Henderson, Beirne or Toner?
Unlikely but Schmidt is a big fan so maybe Beirne. More likely that he'd go as fifth choice with Henderson and Beirne going as lock/backrow hybrids.

If you've seen Roux he's a better version of him basically. I wouldn't put him ahead of any you mentioned (except Beirne if playing tight head lock) but I'd expect him to make the squad. He's absolutely massive is a decent carrier and the type of unit Schmidt always likes to have as an option.

Yeah Kleyn is a good player. He's a massive brute and flat track bully, but I rate him quite highly. As BG8 says he's a better version of Roux, who has had a pretty decent Irish career due to the fact he's a tight head scrummager unlike a few other guys.
Could see him being brought along.

Kleyn would be the best defensive lock we have too 100%. He's a brute as is said and will really beed up our attack. A huge upgrade on Roux.
His negatives from watching him every day is he tries to carry ball to often. He's not a great carrier but if your looking for a lad to soften up the opposition I don't think there is anyone better. But again I don't know how they have said he may see game time in warm up

Definitely Going

Healy
Furlong
Best
Ryan
Toner
Henderson
POM
Van Der Flier
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Carbery
Henshaw
Aki
Ringrose
Stockdale
Earls
Kearney
Larmour

Probable

Kilcoyne
Porter
Niall Scannell
Beirne
Conan
Marmion
Farrell

Maybe

Jack McGrath (on form not a hope but Schmidt is a big fan has preformed in the past)
Ryan
Herring
Cronin (only here because of Schmidt's weird penchant for dropping him)
Kleyn
Ruddock
Jordi
Cooney
Luke McGrath (again not on form but has always played well for Ireland and was excellent in November so he's got a chance)
Byrne
Carty
Conway

Really Unlikely (unless injuries)

Bealham
Dillanne
O'Donnell
Rory Scannell
Dave Kearney
Haley

Don't think I missed anyone there.

Yeah, very hard to see the logic there...
Was clearly noted by Schmidt as the fact he can cover 10 and is more versatile. Neither are within an asses roar of the main 4.
It would only be a bag holder and versatile role for training. No he will never be capped at 10 but in training it makes huge sense of Sexton was rested today and Henshaw tomorrow etc

Rumours that only 4 back 3 players will travel with Henshaw as the 5th and 2nd choice 15.

Farrell, Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw to do centres.
Carbery, Sexton, Murray, Marmion and Cooney

Meaning 13 backs and 18 forwards.
8 front rowers
10 back 5.

Rumours that only 4 back 3 players will travel with Henshaw as the 5th and 2nd choice 15.

Farrell, Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw to do centres.
Carbery, Sexton, Murray, Marmion and Cooney

Meaning 13 backs and 18 forwards.
8 front rowers
10 back 5.
Makes a certain amount of sense but Carbery is a better option there.

Latest posts