• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby Awards 2009 (IRUPA)

M

monkeypigeon

IRUPA have announced their nominations for the yearly awards (sponsored by Bord Gáis).

There are 4 categories: Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, Unsung Hero and Try of the Year.
Nominees are as follows:

BORD GÃIS ENERGY IRUPA PLAYERS PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2009 -

Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

Stephen Ferris (Ulster)

Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster)

IRUPA CLUB ENERGISE SPORT UNSUNG HERO OF THE YEAR 2009 -

Rory Best (Ulster)

John Hayes (Munster)

Stan Wright (Leinster)

IRUPA NATURE VALLEY YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2009 -

Darren Cave (Ulster)

Keith Earls (Munster)

Cian Healy (Leinster)

IRUPA TYRONE CRYSTAL TRY OF YEAR 2009 -

Tommy Bowe, Wales v Ireland

Jamie Heaslip, Ireland v France

Brian O'Driscoll, Leinster v Wasps

I think Bo'd takes player of the year for me. With Ferris and Bowe more suited to some sort of most improved player award or something of that nature. All three have been great and it's shame there couldn't be more nominees with David Wallace, Jamie Heaslip, Paul O'Connell and many others all having very good seasons.

Young player I'd give to Keith Earls because he's awesome. Healy's coming on nicely though but Cave's form seems to have dipped a bit since the start of the 6Nations.

Unsung hero, with all the "we love John Hayes" business on RTE... seems a tad obvious where that's going but I wouldn't be shocked if Best got it.

Best try is the Jamie Heaslip one for me.

Shame there's no best Vocalist or mankiest drop-goal award though ;)

I think O'Driscoll's form in some of the pool games in the HEC gives him the edge on top of his 6N performances.

Heaslip only started playing well in the final pool match, timed it well though in fairness.

Bowe and Ferris have had massive seasons and deserve their nominations as well and we couldn't have had any complaints had POC been included.

O'Driscoll's try against Wasps, presumably the one with the fly hack was quality but Heaslip's try against France was as good as we've scored in the last decade, definitely up there with Dempsey's try at Twickenham in 2004. Surprised though that Earl's try against the Dragons with the amazing pick up wasn't included though, they could easily have had 5 in each cateogory this year.

Best certainly wouldn't be undeserving of the unsung category given his leadership role within the Irish setup and how that goes virtually unnoticed, think his presence may well be missed by the Lions Irish contingent.

Earls will get the young player of the year but the progress of the other 2 is great for the future of Irish rugby, we've some competition in the centre now should anything happen to BOD.

Latest posts